Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Bry , Glouster
Belly Pans - 1965

Hi All,

Brand new here - Great place!

How do I remove the belly pans (1965 GT) so I can do an inspection/assesment?

Thanks
1965GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi 1965GT and welcome to the Forums! It is exciting seeing how many people in Europe are leaning toward the vintage Airstreams. Does your screen name imply that you have a 1965 Globetrotter?

Your ask about doing an inspection or assessment inside the belly pan. I believe you'd want two other data points before you proceed to doing this. First, have as complete an inspection as possible of the plywood floor perimeter inside the trailer. Second, determine the condition of the visible parts of the frame. 20-, 30-, and 40-year old trailers existed under highly variable conditions. You will need to determine the source if you see any floor rot. Is the frame in good, fair, or really rough condition?

Belly wrap was very thin to begin with (0.025") and probably is corroded and fragile. Removing it will probably destroy it but take it off carefully to use the remnants for a pattern. Propane copper tubing penetrates through the belly wrap and routes along the outside bottom of the belly wrap. If an inspection is called for, I think you'd be happier cutting access panels in the belly wrap. Then you could rivet in place a patch of new aluminum sheet somewhat larger than the opening you made. Take a look at two tools I mention in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...kin-26344.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags