Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Advice needed on Refer vent - 1968

I have a 1968 Globetrotter and the refer vent is all busted up. I was able to get a metal vent to replace it from Inland RV. Problem is it is 4" longer than the fiberglass original. Metal vs. painted ABS is a no-brainer but would you guys replace it? I am questioning plugging and redrilling new holes. I want it to be proper to the year but wonder if its smarter to upgrade it this way. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Randy Gates
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Gates View Post
I have a 1968 Globetrotter and the refer vent is all busted up. I was able to get a metal vent to replace it from Inland RV. Problem is it is 4" longer than the fiberglass original. Metal vs. painted ABS is a no-brainer but would you guys replace it? I am questioning plugging and redrilling new holes. I want it to be proper to the year but wonder if its smarter to upgrade it this way. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.
Randy Gates
Randy.

Back then there were 2 sizes, but were plastic. When changed to the aluminum reefer vent cover, they chose the one size.

It can be used as is. Or, you can cut it in half, overlap it and rivet it back together for whatever size you wish.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Hi Randy,

I used the long aluminum cover to replace the missing plastic one on my Caravel. I shortened it and used the section I cut out as a flange to rivet the halves back together. RJ Dial has a nice step by step for this on his vintageairstream.com site under the caravel restoration http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...refervent.html. Cutting the vent neatly is a challenge. I drew lines with a sharpie pen and cut with a hacksaw. Others might use tin snips. I also made a template first using craft paper. Cut, trim, plan your rivet holes, make mistakes and start over using the paper up on your roof until you're happy. Then trim your cover to fit the template. My original rivet holes wouldn't line up with the new covers flange. So I put Vulkem-sealed olypic rivets in the old holes and planned my new cover to be slightly longer to hide the old holes. Don't forget to clean and seal the vent flange first, before you install the cover. Also consider adding screen to keep out critters. Finally, before you install it, look at pictures of other cover installations to figure out which end goes forward. The cover isn't symmetrical.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags