Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
'68 GT screen door latch

I am having trouble figuring-out how the screen door is supposed to latch/lock to the outer door. Here's a couple'a pics of mine... What am I missing?
Ruck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	208708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	549.1 KB
ID:	208709  

Name:	IMG_1248.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	208710  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I am having trouble figuring-out how the screen door is supposed to latch/lock to the outer door. Here's a couple'a pics of mine... What am I missing?
Ruck

Ruck, If you look at the interior of your screen door (if it is still there) you will find the male end of a snap connector screwed to the door . You should also see one or two of these on the interior side of the main cabin door. They were connected by a piece of plastic strap that had the female heads of the snaps installed in it. This was what was used OEM to hold the screen door to the entry door. I replaced my broken strap with a web weaved strap and installed new female snap buttons and male base snaps on my doors and it really work great. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Ruck, If you look at the interior of your screen door (if it is still there) you will find the male end of a snap connector screwed to the door . You should also see one or two of these on the interior side of the main cabin door. They were connected by a piece of plastic strap that had the female heads of the snaps installed in it. This was what was used OEM to hold the screen door to the entry door. I replaced my broken strap with a web weaved strap and installed new female snap buttons and male base snaps on my doors and it really work great. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed

I had not even considered looking for a snap... I was most interested by the sliding latch mechanism attached. When I looked back at the pics, I noticed a snap at the end of the sliding latch...
**Do you have any pictures of what "good" looks like? Looks like mine has years of make-shift non-sense, so I'm most interested in what it's supposed to look like!

I'll look for the snaps/buttons and a suitable replacement strap. Thanks for the quick reply, sir.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
I think this is the strap you referred to, correct? Snap Tie Back

I'm still wondering how my "slide latch" works? Should there be a catch of some sort on the trailer frame? Maybe something that keeps the screen door closed/locked while the main door is propped-open?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Snap tieback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I think this is the strap you referred to, correct? Snap Tie Back

I'm still wondering how my "slide latch" works? Should there be a catch of some sort on the trailer frame? Maybe something that keeps the screen door closed/locked while the main door is propped-open?

Ruck, That is a retro part that VTS has available. It is very similar to the one that was original equipment on the screen and entry door. You need to understand that another snap is required to hold this to the other door. You can install the strap on the male snap end that you located on your screen door with the other end attached to the entry door. If the male end of the snap has been removed from the entry door you may still see the hole where it was mounted. You could just use a couple of large head rivets to hold the other end of the strap to the entry door. The slide bolt is missing the knob on the right hand end of the bolt in your picture. It may also be missing (broken off) the left end of the bolt that goes thru the door frame across from the bolt and holds the screen closed while you are in the trailer. As you can see the aluminum cover that closes over the rectangular opening where your exterior door handle fit thru can be pushed open from the outside of the screen door so the slide bolt is not as much for security as it is to just hold the screen closed against the trailer to help with ventilation and to keep the bugs out while you are inside. Just above the slide on the screen door you can see the remnants of the roller spring clip the "latches" the screen door to the door frame to help keep it closed. You will need to see if you can buy a replacement latch assembly to get this replaced. You may be able to find it from a vendor like VTS or InlandRV as well as Silver Trailer Supply above or other used Airstream parts vendors or even on Ebay. There is also a person selling parts from a '67 A/S on the classifieds here that may be able to help you with some of these parts. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Interior door handle

Ruck, That is also not the proper interior handle on your entry door. The original was a lever handle. The newer replacement lockset has a round inside door knob. Just so you know what should be there. Ed
Old 04-02-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Ruck, That is a retro part that VTS has available. It is very similar to the one that was original equipment on the screen and entry door. You need to understand that another snap is required to hold this to the other door. You can install the strap on the male snap end that you located on your screen door with the other end attached to the entry door. If the male end of the snap has been removed from the entry door you may still see the hole where it was mounted. You could just use a couple of large head rivets to hold the other end of the strap to the entry door. The slide bolt is missing the knob on the right hand end of the bolt in your picture. It may also be missing (broken off) the left end of the bolt that goes thru the door frame across from the bolt and holds the screen closed while you are in the trailer. As you can see the aluminum cover that closes over the rectangular opening where your exterior door handle fit thru can be pushed open from the outside of the screen door so the slide bolt is not as much for security as it is to just hold the screen closed against the trailer to help with ventilation and to keep the bugs out while you are inside. Just above the slide on the screen door you can see the remnants of the roller spring clip the "latches" the screen door to the door frame to help keep it closed. You will need to see if you can buy a replacement latch assembly to get this replaced. You may be able to find it from a vendor like VTS or InlandRV as well as Silver Trailer Supply above or other used Airstream parts vendors or even on Ebay. There is also a person selling parts from a '67 A/S on the classifieds here that may be able to help you with some of these parts. Ed
Cool. Do you have any pictures of what a "good one" looks like? I love the explanation, sir... a picture is invaluable.
I have since removed this lock, had it rebuilt, and installed a different interior handle; should do the trick.
I appreciate the good feedback and look forward to the next.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Tech challenged

Ruck, Unfortunately I don't have a camera that can load the pictures to my computer. So no I don't have a pic of the slide bolt. The person on the classifieds selling parts is asking what you need and they will send you a picture of the parts to help you decide if it is what you need and the condition. Ed
Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Pullman , Washington
Here are a couple photos from my 67 GT. I had to replace the original snap and strap. About $5 and 15 minutes to get it done.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396552539.560415.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	953.4 KB
ID:	208900Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396552560.281679.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	208901
Feedforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Simple latch. I'm sure Home Depot carries them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396621221974.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	208953  
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Here's a few more pics of the latch. The bracket could be fabricated from aluminium square tubing or metal? Two SS metal screws holding it in place. Flush with the outside with a slight bend on the bottom. But, if you decide on snaps. I purchased mine from a fabric store. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1396637024361.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	208956   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396637059778.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	208957  

Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedforward View Post
Here are a couple photos from my 67 GT. I had to replace the original snap and strap. About $5 and 15 minutes to get it done.Attachment 208900Attachment 208901
Sweet. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyquest View Post
Here's a few more pics of the latch. The bracket could be fabricated from aluminium square tubing or metal? Two SS metal screws holding it in place. Flush with the outside with a slight bend on the bottom. But, if you decide on snaps. I purchased mine from a fabric store. Hope this helps.
I appreciate it.