Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Kelowna , British Columbia
'68 Globetrotter project

I'm starting the renovation of my 'new to me' 68 Globetrotter.

The trailer has been gutted and I'm planning a full monty upgrade. So far I've only removed the few remaining bulkhead pieces, the extremely heavy non-stock bench and a semi-liquid mouse that was doing nothing for the interior air quality!

My plan is to drop the belly pan, remove the 1" plywood floor that has been installed on top of the original floor...more weight...and remove the interior skin so I can see what I have.

I of course have a lot of questions but the current most pressing are:

Does anyone have replacement glass for these two Corning windows -curbside forward of door and one streetside?

Can the dent in the two rear endcap panels be pushed out and repaired or should these be replaced?

Is it reasonable to replace only the top half of the curbside upper panel? I'm thinking it could be cut in line with the endcap seams and the top part with all the vent holes and awning channel replaced without getting into the window and door openings.

I wouldn't have started this project without this forum. Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	104832   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTrear.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	104833  

Name:	in front.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	104834   Click image for larger version

Name:	in rear.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	104835  

Canlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
RGates

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thousand Oaks , California
Response for glass needs

Sounds like you have your hands full, I am refurbishing my own "new to me" 1968 Globetrotter. I currently have no front or rear window glass-Metal edge frames will be available in the spring through Vintage trailer supply. You cazn get your glass from Inland RV, check out a guy out here in California called thge Polishing Guru-good source for tough parts. Hope this helps. Anything else just yell we are all learning.
Randy Gates
Randy Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums.
Inland RV has the glass, is ain't cheap, but it is well worth it. I replace all 4 curved windows in my Trade Wind. When you get to the point of replacing I can give you some tips that will save you time.
As far as I know, the end caps are not available. There was an end cap in the classifieds a while ago but you would have to check. Your dent does not look bad. My Trade Wind had a pretty bad dent on both sides in the rear (someone backed in under a too short shed or garage). What you will have to do is remove the fiberglass interior cap. It is not too hard to remove but it is a bear to get back in place. After removing it you will be able to push the dents out from the inside. A couple of cautions. Aluminum does not work like sheet metal. A big dent may push out but if there are creases then it becomes tricky. Aluminum is harder than sheet metal and you must be very careful not to do more damage than is already there. I tried several methods ( all from info on the forum) but the best results were from working the skin VERY VERY carefully with a body hammer and dolly. It is very easy to stretch the skin so take your time. You will need another person to hold the dolly so coordination is key. You will leave tell tale marks on the outside, but it was much better than the dent and crease I had.
Before you put the fiberglass interior back up, get some auto body seam sealer or you can use vulkem and seal all the seams on the inside. Pay attention to just above the rear window where all the panels attach to the window frame and also down the sides of the window frame and around the hatch. I worked for days sealing everything I could from the outside and still had leaks, when I pulled the interior back down and sealed the inside every thing is dry. No sense in working to redo one if you haven't fixed all the leaks.
Finally, if it were mine, I replace the complete side panel. You will have the lower interior walls off to get to the floor bolts anyway so why not fix it right. Better to do it right the first time.
You might want to check out TomW's web site on his 67 restoration, a wealth of info on our era trailers. 1967 Airstream Overlander

Another thought, if you do remove the interior you may want to consider rewiring with copper wire. My 68 had aluminum.

Bruce
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thanks Guys! The end cap is still in the classifieds, but I haven't heard back from the poster Kevin Barnes. I hope he still checks the forum.

I'm leaving Monday to spend two weeks working on the trailer...removing the inner skin, belly pan and extra floor ply so I can see what the original floor and frame are like. My fingers are crossed!

Ian
Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Progress!

A few changes since my last post.

I installed a new frig vent (of course it couldn't be the same size) , patched some roof holes and learned about olympic rivets and clecos.

Name:	vent  001.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	110399Click image for larger version

Name:	roof  001.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	110403

I got the shell braced, lifted and the frame rolled out.

Name:	up  002.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	110400Click image for larger version

Name:	out  003.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	110401

Then the fun began...spray foam! There have been lots of posts and I now have first hand knowledge. Yes, it does stick to everything. No, it doesn't appear to break down...though I have no idea how long it has been there. And yes, it does trap water that comes from above....though in this case it was from pressure washing the inside of the shell, so it was a lot of water.

Name:	spray foam  004.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	110402

Then came the big surprise. The PO must have hit something at high speed with the outriggers on the axle that are meant to support the trailer in case of a blowout. The torque on the axle bent the frame on one side and broke it on the other.

Name:	surprise2  006.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	339.5 KB
ID:	110405Click image for larger version

Name:	surprise  005.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	110404

While waiting for the welder to have a free day, I cut the new floor ply and epoxied the edges and put two coats of oil base paint on the underside.

Name:	ply  007.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	110406
Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
More progress

I got the frame cleaned up and towed it to the welder so he could remove the PO's patches and do a proper repair. The old patch was out of alignment by and inch up and down!

Name:	Chris  008.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	110407 Click image for larger version

Name:	fishplate  009.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	110408

He also repaired some minor rust areas replaced a couple of outriggers and fabricated mounts for the grey and fresh water tanks and installed the new Dexter disc brake axle.

Name:	tanks  010.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	110409

I got the trailer home again and spent a day brushing on a coat of Rust-grip encapsulating paint. I was really impressed with this product and it was way easier to get than POR.

Name:	painted  011.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	110410

A few more days saw the shell back on the new floor.

Name:	back  012.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	110411

Nice to be able to walk around inside again! I finished installing all new LED exterior lights.

Name:	lights  013.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	110412

Today I ordered the new aluminum for the replacement of the street-side outer skin and for the new interior.

Not a bad summer!
Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Roseville , Minnesota
Spectacular

Most impressive.One question for you, did you leave the axle safeties inplace or did you pitch them?
mbrod666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Wow! You are making huge progress making me feel soooo slow. Where'd you get that fridge vent? Looks much more substantial than my stock vent.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
I left the axle safeties on the old axle. It is in the back of my truck to go to the scrap yard. I decided I'd like to keep maximum ground clearance and the chance of a blowout is much less with tubeless tires.

Silverhoot...I bought the frig vent used from the classifieds in this forum. I think it was from an early 70's trailer.

Ian
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
The next step

The aluminum arrived from Aircraft Spruce so I got the old skin off, bent ribs repaired and new skin installed.

Name:	repaired  014.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	113941 Click image for larger version

Name:	new skin  016.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	113942

All that called for an adult beverage! (or two)

Name:	beverage  017.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	113943

I've insulated the interior with two layers of double foil/ double bubble insulation and now I'm on to the endcaps. This is the second set of templates. I used the first set, made from taped-in-place paper (a nightmare!), to cut these masonite ones. With the adjustments from the masonite set, I've cut the 1/8" walnut ply.

Name:	templates  019.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	113944
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Ian, great job on your restoration!
Looks like you will have a very nice solid trailer when you are finished.

Are you installing the new skin with "bucked" rivets or "olympic" rivets; how is that going?

You mentioned that "I've cut the 1/8" walnut ply" for the end cap. Is that going over aluminum, the original end cap or directly onto the ribs?
Seems like I read somewhere on the forum that thin plywood wall covering like that doesn't provide the same level of structural support to the body as the original inner skin. You might check on that with others on the forum, before you get too much further along.

I had those stupid "axle safeties" on my '65 Safari, one had been twisted around the axle (right side of photo, deformed "U" bolt) the other was badly bent. Luckily, I had no accompanying frame damage and the axle is history anyway.

Name:	Axle Struts.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	113992

My advice to anyone that has those "axle safeties" is to get rid of them!
If you have a flat, the trailer is far better off rolling along on the rim than skidding on those "safeties". If you loose the wheel, you are probably "up the creek" with or without them.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Thanks BWH.

I used Olympics to replace the skin...I did the work by myself, so bucking rivets would have been tricky

I think I have read every post about wood end caps from Carlos Ferguson's to date. There have been concerns about structure, but I haven't seen anyone who has done the conversion report any problems. I'm going with the try it and see approach...if a problem develops, I'll deal with it. Given the structural state of the trailer when I started, I know it is getting better!

Amen to the axle safties...get rid of those things!

Ian
Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Back to the project

After moving and a year of home renovation, I'm finally back to the GT! Front and rear banana wraps are done, Fantastic fans are in, rough wiring is complete and the insulation is done. Starting on the inner shell.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4788.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	168766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4793.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	168767  

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
I never get tired of seeing end caps done like this. Beautiful.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Done!

I've been feeling guilty about leaving this thread unfinished, so here's the end. The new aluminum inner shell was templated from the original pieces. I used the old panels for the new belly pan.

Name:	IMG_4808.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	202757
At that point, I towed the trailer to my shop and started on the interior. Lots of wiring , plumbing and building cabinets to fit all those pesky curves!

Name:	IMG_20130211_091311.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	202758
Cork flooring, solar panel and professional upholstery and we were ready to go to the Vintage rally in Wenatchee.

Name:	20130618_120737.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	202760
Of course there is always more....a Zip-Dee to come and polish, polish, polish but it turned into a very comfortable trailer and it was a fun and challenging project.

Thanks for this forum and all the great info and support!