Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Middlejjohn

1968 20' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
68 globetrotter ac install

New to AS & forum. I am restoring my wife's inherited 68 Globetrotter and need to install a roof ac. I purchased a 13,500 Coleman heat pump (~90 lbs.) Considering installing over/replacing rear air vent. It is over bathroom bulkhead so I think it would be solid support. I've also seen them in the middle of the trailer.
Were these prewired and what location is best?
Middlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Louisa Va , Virginia
Mine is at the rear at bathroom bulkhead and had to run a wire no existing wire was there. Hope that helps you.
George
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #3
Middlejjohn

1968 20' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Ac install update

I contacted airstream who provided me with a blueprint showing where a supplied ac wire was located. Sure enough, I cut into the ceiling & there it was---installed at the factory those 48 yrs ago. However, now I cannot find the supply end of the wire (end that would go to elecical pannel.
Also, is there a method for running wiring without removing inner skin?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I know on my 68 there would have been no way to pull a wire from the AC to the breaker box from what I saw when I had the rear cap out when I did the new floor and bathroom.
I'd bet the end of the wire is in the wall by the box. I just went out and looked at my breaker box. There are 3 wires coming out of the wall on the left side of the box. Each has a gromment and they are space about 2 inches apart, stacked in a straight line. One for the curb side, one for street side and one for the AC. I'd get a hole saw and cut a hole just above the top wire by the box, being very careful not to go deep and nick a wire. Then you can see if the end of the romex for the AC is there. Maybe you could use one of the endo camera's that works with your smart phone that they sell on Ebay to look inside the wall. PM me if you need me to send you a picture of what my breaker box area looks like. If you only have 2 wires coming out of the wall and there is a wire in the celing at the AC location then it should be there. If it is there you may have to cut a bigger hole in order to actually get to the wire and bend it out to make the connection to the breaker box. You could make a patch panel with a small hole for the wire and rivet it back in place.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM   #5
Middlejjohn

1968 20' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
Thanks 68 TW. That's an excellent idea! I have the two 110 v wires stubbed out of the wall by the breaker box and am very good at drilling through wires! I'll give it a try today. We are only beginning our restoration and I have not removed bathroom fixtures. Was hoping to install ac early on to give a better working environment.