Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norcross , Georgia
66 GT Penguin II AC Install In Rear Vent Opening?

I am a relatively new owner - we purchased a mostly original 1966 Globetrotter in March. I'm putting the finishing touches on installing an Atwood tankless water heater and now ready to install an AC unit.

I've checked with the AS factory and understand that the original wiring should be 71 inches back from the front rib. There are forum threads about installing AC units on freshly-cut holes (near the center of the GT roof but I would like to install my unit in the existing hole for the rear vent.

My plan is to buy a new Dometic Penguin II unit and rent scaffolding to help with placing it on the roof. (I’ve been quoted as much as $600 to install the unit at a service center so I am willing to give it a try)

Have any of you Globetrotter owners succeeded in installing an AC unit in the original rear vent opening and using the factory supplied wiring? If so, were you also able to install a drain line without too much trouble?
I would appreciate any shared comments, photos, diagrams, etc.
Aircody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Norcross , Georgia
Update on A/C installation

I decided to go with mounting the Penguin II on the location that Airstream recommended. Just in time for the weather to turn cool so I don't need it right now. I still need to route the wiring to the thermostat so that it is hidden - it is duct-taped to the ceiling for now...
Aircody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:05 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircody View Post
I decided to go with mounting the Penguin II on the location that Airstream recommended. Just in time for the weather to turn cool so I don't need it right now. I still need to route the wiring to the thermostat so that it is hidden - it is duct-taped to the ceiling for now...
Run the wires through some 3/8" pex, so it won't get pinched or chafed. It will also make replacement later much, much easier, if ever needed.

BTW, you'll find you are going to need something to keep the roof and ceiling from being crushed together. I've made up a kit to frame the hole out, which is available at the dealership where I work.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #4

1967 24' Tradewind
Langley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Run the wires through some 3/8" pex, so it won't get pinched or chafed. It will also make replacement later much, much easier, if ever needed.

BTW, you'll find you are going to need something to keep the roof and ceiling from being crushed together. I've made up a kit to frame the hole out, which is available at the dealership where I work.
I see this is an older thread, but hope work through some similar challenges.
I am installing a new AC in a 1967 TW that never had AC from the factory. One consistent piece of info from this forum is that there should be a power source and drain tube in the ceiling close to where the AC should be installed.
The exact location is a bit more elusive. I have a 24' trailer and in the electrical schematic, it shows the AC in a general location between a ceiling light and vent. Ok, on this forum I have anywhere from 93 -103" from rib 0. Will have to pick a spot that looks good and start drilling.
Overlander63, Do you have any pics of your frame kit? I came across one from out of doors mart but they say the curve isn't a great fit on older Airstreams.
Anybody browsing this old thread have any advice?
Darren
Wingnut111 is offline   Reply With Quote