Old 06-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
1966 20' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
'66 Globetrotter fresh water leak up front?

Hey y'all,
Hope somebody can advise me on this. All of a sudden today(I guess that's the way most things happen...) I noticed water dripping slowly just a bit forward of the front door on my 1966 Globetrotter. I checked the pump compartment on the opposite front side, and all's dry there.

I took out enough plywood from the front bed to be able to see the starboard forward corner, and it was wet, but couldn't see where it's coming from....seems the water line running to the starborard side kitchen, bath sink and water tank are under the flooring.

I read on the forum that a common occurrence is that, if you fill the water tank too rapidly, there's a vent tube that can pop off and leak. I don't know if my tank(blue plastic) has one or where it's located, or how you check it.

I drained the tank, and started over. The dripping begins pretty quickly after I begin filling it from the cap at the front of the Airstream. I had the tank full the previous couple of days with no problems. There are no leaks apparent under the sinks, only in that starboard curbside corner.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to best proceed. Any advice is sure welcome!
Gatlin Dave

GatlinDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
1966 20' Globetrotter
Orlando , Florida
water leak resoved

Well, I finally figured out about 2 a.m. the next morning that there were no pipes on that side of the Globetrotter, and therefore my leak was most likely coming from the freshwater tank itself, since the pump and pipes to the left of the freshwater tank were bone dry.
Sure enough, I managed to get the tank disconnected and removed, did the usual leak tests, and found a couple of pinhole leaks. I patched them with the usual cloth and poly method, and then put everything back together. Voila! Took my first trip in the AS this past weekend, and everything dry as a bone. Ain't it great when all systems are working? And we vintage owners aren't the only ones who have issues. We were at Jetty Park , Port Canaveral FL looking at campsites for a future trip today, and I saw a brand new whopper of a motor home with water pouring out the front door!
GatlinDave is offline   Reply With Quote