Old 12-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Zolatone is a bear to strip. I think Aircraft Stripper works the best, but it takes multiple applications. Take the panels outside and do them on a flat surface. Nasty fumes.

It's a good time to plan a grey tank install if you're going to add one. You still have the layout and plumbing runs fresh in your mind. Not too far from seeing what your frame looks like.

Cheers,
Steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #58
GlamperGirl

Thank you Steve. The outside tip is a good one indeed.

Yesterday I got a response from the local experimental aircraft association. The gentlemen is taking my request to hire someone to a meeting on Thursday next week.

I will be hiring a laborer to help me with removing the floor as I know I can't accomplish this alone. Then again a miracle may happen to me again and a friend or three will help me.

I have photographed the plumbing extensively. Still believe much will reconfigure due to a custom shower and toilet space in creating.

Still thinking about Teak and researching sites for ideas on redone AS baths.

Enjoy your Sunday Steve. If you come over to Seattle I would love to have you to the shop in Mill Creek. It's south of Everett.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #59
GlamperGirl

Forgot to ask. The insta heat water tanks? Opinions?
Old 12-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi, you are tearing it down, that's for sure. Another gutted Airstream. David and Diana called it a major milestone when they welded the first piece back on their frame of their Safari rebuild. They turned the corner and the rebuild has begun! For me, it was opening a can of POR 15 and painting the frame. Pretty soon you will start the rebuild.

Zolatone paint is some very good stuff. It is a bugger to strip. Maybe yours is too far gone to save. Many folks go to great lengths to save the Zolatone, or re-apply it. It's an Airstream icon. But I don't know your interior plan. My 66 interior skins are laminated with a off white vinyl. That stuff has sure lasted very well through the years.

Instant hot water heaters save some propane with significant additional complexity. A good old fashioned 6 gallon Atwood with electronic ignition is a standard and lasts for years. Being old, I vote for old fashioned.

You must have a real good reason to take your windows out. I believe you can seal them from the inside once you get the interior skins off. You can replace the glass without taking the frames out. Removing window frames is a lot of work.

Ya know, I wonder how much of a bath you need in your Globetrotter. I read where one Airstreamer decided to have just one sink for multi-purposes. And a shower is way over rated in my view. Takes a lot of room, uses a lot of water. A guy can get pretty clean with a putty knife and a wet rag, or a dip in the lake. I don't like my son's "wet bath" in his 69 Globetrotter. So why not just a little "water closet" for the toilet next to the wardrobe closet and call it good. Think of all those tent and pop up campers out there who would die for a private toilet.

Isn't just great to have all these strangers giving you advice?

Work carefully. We don't want you to get hurt doing this. Those power tools can tear up flesh in nothing flat. Ask me how I know.

David
Old 12-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Yesterday I was blessed with help. The missing tool was an impact driver. That removed my stuck screws.

The upper cabinets came down.

Four bolts held down the Dometic.
They were not budging.
I got underneath and hammered on them. We tried everything and wound up using the Sawzall. My friend showed me how to change the blade.
It took a good hour to get the thing out. Broke two blades.

Hallelujah I can use Sawzall.

I started removing rivets from my interior panels and photographing.

Once I get the pics printed I am going to label and remove and put up on sawhorse table.

Question for Zolatone removal. What is the best method? Aircraft stripper or the Citrus stuff.

Taking windows out of course and rebuilding. Any advice?

Left today is the base to the kitchen cabinet. Walls and closet into the bath.

Tomorrow I will remove plastic bath interior. Will not reuse this.
No surprise under the sink my floor is rotted in bath.

Not excited to remove toilet. What oh what will I find?

This trailer has been empty unused for years. The hot water tank in the bath had corroded. The propane line was disconnected and all parts were bad. I accessed it from under sink/closet. The door outside is unscrewed now.

I feel like polishing a section to give myself some future vision.
Why do you want to remove the zolatone? Are you planning on re-painting, or are you going to polish the interior? If you plan on re-painting, just go over all of the panels with a DA sander, to give the new paint an abraded surface to adhere to. If you strip all of the zolatone off, then plan on re-painting, you'll have to apply a good primer in order for the paint to adhere. We use a two part epoxy primer on bare aluminum.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:57 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
SawzAll is your best buddy for any demolition work, aside from the appropriate application of high explosives 😀😀😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #63
GlamperGirl

So my windows are mostly a mess. One is only plexiglas with nasty silicone around it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418003901.714301.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	228193
No hardware as you see on one picture Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418003938.829540.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	781.2 KB
ID:	228194

Chipped all around many of them.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418003971.267702.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	764.9 KB
ID:	228195Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418003990.402990.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	809.2 KB
ID:	228196

So that is why I am removing. Tinting, end. Ordered supplies from VTS.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #64
GlamperGirl

Why remove the Zolatone? It's for the design aesthetic. [ATTACH]228198[/

Today I got the kitchen base off and bath walls. The floor rot under the tiles shown here.

I hauled out the interior and it's in my garage for template use.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004360.437028.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	740.6 KB
ID:	228204
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004246.062759.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	996.8 KB
ID:	228199Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004264.286500.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	941.3 KB
ID:	228200Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004280.412133.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	858.7 KB
ID:	228201Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004294.365668.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	866.6 KB
ID:	228202Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004310.297606.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	890.7 KB
ID:	228203
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004122.167060.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	813.1 KB
ID:	228197   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418004155.761914.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	996.8 KB
ID:	228198  

Old 12-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #65
GlamperGirl

To be more clear I will likely use wood on the interior. So maybe I will just clean up the panels or sand and paint
Old 12-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi thumbelinadj, Looks like you made good progress over the weekend. You're doggie will like the extra room around the trailer now that the "templates" are in your home garage. Airstreamers chuckle at the pile of old interior parts they have consuming space at home. Vintage Airstreamers all had such a pile at one time or another.

My 66 has those goofy phillips windows with the Corning curved glass. Airstream's first adventure into the new automotive glass. They only used this design for three years. In the new 1969 body style, Airstream used the "wing windows" in front for the first time. This grew to the panoramic curved glass used in the front of most Airstreams today. I think the 65 trailers have flat glass. If so, then glass replacement is a bit easier. Yep, your windows need rebuilt. But I think you won't have to drill out the bucked rivets holding the frame to the exterior skin. But you will know when the interior skins come down.

Did you see the Timeless Travel Trailer latest Airstream they custom built for a client. It is a stretched 50s Flying Cloud. It has an all wood interior. I'll look it up and link it in your thread. It may give you some ideas.

Your subfloor doesn't look too bad. Some of us have big holes rotted in it. Here is mine as found in the rear of the trailer. Ugly mess.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 Floor Bath.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	228215  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Here is the link to Timeless Travel Trailers and their Ridgeway project. It has an all wood interior. These folks are high end Airstream renovators as you can tell from the photos. Think six figure custom Airstreams.

We stay close to Timeless when we visit our sons in Denver. I wondered in their lobby one day as old men are prone to do. They offered a tour of their shop if I would make an appointment. I'll do that next spring when we visit again.

Also, J Morgan has build wood end caps for his Airstream. Search his user name and take a look. They look quite nice.

David

Custom Airstream 1956 Whale Tail
Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
The missing tool was an impact driver. That removed my stuck screws.

Be careful with that impact driver! Be sure the structure underneath the stuck screw is strong enough to withstand the impact. You can bend aluminum that way.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #69
GlamperGirl

Sometimes you have to say "STEP AWAY FROM THE.." I will be back at it at the end of the week. I don't want to rip out the electric and plumbing without a plan and advice.

Thinking about topics such as:

Final decision- Shell off or not
Frame- reinforcement and additions
Panels-Exterior- what if I have corrosion?
Ribs- What if one is broken?
Repair dents or replace?
Solar
Heat
Interior- wood or not
Plumbing- finalize
Wiring Plan
Technology Station-replace where Gaucho was
Draw plans oh wait---
Find a way to draw the plan
Resource experts to help me

Thank you for the support and inspiration.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi, You're still in the assessment stage. You now know what your subfloor looks like. It is a structural member of the trailer. Soon you will have to pull the axles, propane lines, belly pan and insulation. It is a real, real dirty job. Then you can assess the frame. My frame was "good enough". I found all members sound, so no repair for me. Most trailers have rust problems.

After your assessment, then you can plan on how to proceed.

Here is one of many pictures of my frame before wire brushing and POR 15. In fact, the insulation is still up there and the belly pan is on the floor. Weeee

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 Frame Front Curb.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	228257