Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
'65 Globetrotter Floorplan

We have a 65 Globetrotter with the dinette up front. I have searched the forums and the internet to find this floorplan in our trailer, but have been unable to do so!

My question is actually related to the seats of the dinette and their functionality as a bed.

I know the seat by the door is extendable lengthwise (the wooden bench end slides out to make the bed longer), however this is not the case for the bench that is by the heater.

My question is twofold:
#1 are these benches designed to be 2 twin beds?
#2 Are the benches designed to slide out (i.e. open up toward the middle of the trailer) to create more width on the bed?

I have noticed the flat wooden piece under the seat can be lifted and slid around, but I don't know if it is SUPPOSED to do that or not. Also, the dinette collapses down to 2 sections making it quite small, but it seems like it doesn't get any smaller than that (or get out of the way to make the bed into a double) Just curious and thanks in advance for the help!
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Did you see this one?
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...8&d=1146591142
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
This link and this link shows a couple trailers with your interior or similar.

You might see if the table will drop to the seat level to support the seat cushions as the back cushions fit between the seats and the walls. This would form a full double.

The front dinette models are less common and very desirable.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Steve, those are EXACTLY how ours is set up, however, it doesn't look like the dinette swings down at all. The leg will fold up (silver leg in the photos) but that is about it. I will have to shoot the owners an e-mail to see what they have to say. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

If I remember right the dinette table is on a rail or hooks at the wall so you have to lift it up and out of the holders to drop it down into a bed configuration.
There's not many pictures of this model out there, apparently. Maybe it is rare!

Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop View Post
Steve, those are EXACTLY how ours is set up, however, it doesn't look like the dinette swings down at all. The leg will fold up (silver leg in the photos) but that is about it. I will have to shoot the owners an e-mail to see what they have to say. Thanks again!
Airstream Inc just posted some vintage info. ->Here<- is a link to the floor plans for '65. Your model is referred to as a "Globetrotter Twin" so that leads me to believe that the dinette is NOT meant to convert to a double. That being said... there is no reason you could not modify it to work that way.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Well that is definately ours...the Globetrotter Twin. HOWEVER, we have the heater installed so the non curb side bed is to short to be a twin! The curb side twin is to short, but the footboard actually slides out into the doorway to make the full twin bed.

We just got back from the coast (taking the airstream of course) and I looked and looked and made sure the dinette does not fold down or do anything of that nature!

I am going to start looking for some documentation to see if the seats actually are made to slide out toward the dinette as well as I think some modification will be in order.

While I like the fact that ours may be rare, having the twin beds really does limit our space.

Now I have some serious thinking to do! Thanks again...and if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Well we have my brother in law working on the front bed set and getting all of that in order to develop something into a larger bed as the fold down couch is just to small for us. I will take photos and keep everyone posted. Thanks! If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
Hi Skycop

I appreciate your input with this as I'm just in the final throws of importing mine to England. Mine is also the rarer front dinette set up.

Any photos that you can post would be useful especially a step by step dinette to bed set.
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Well he went off and met his future wife so we have been put on the back burner. I will keep you posted when our project gets underway!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop View Post
Well he went off and met his future wife so we have been put on the back burner. I will keep you posted when our project gets underway!

It sounds like he needs to get his priorities in order
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Bromsgrove , Worcestershire
Dinette doesn't convert to a bed, the table is rigidly fixed but can be extended using 2 "drop in" pieces.

I'll have to change mine to a Dinette / bed set up, so if anyone needs the table let me know (I'm based in the UK).
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Well, priorities have definately changed and we need to get our dinnette finished...gonna be having another kiddo soon too! Got to have the extra sleeping space...our little Globetrotter is quickly becoming smaller and smaller!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Do you still have your globetrotter ? Can you send any photos! We are picking ours up in a month and know it will need a total redo Looking for any ideas!
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
I am sorry, but we sold our Globetrotter last year (it was replaced, however). What kind of set up are you wanting to do on your new one?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
"Do you still have your globetrotter ? Can you send any photos! We are picking ours up in a month and know it will need a total redo Looking for any ideas!"

Swimhard - we have a 20' 1965 Globetrotter with the front dinette. Ours too is needing repairs before she (Henrietta) is campable. We would love to have her ready in time to take to the Texas Vintage Rally in Gonzales in October but I'm kind of doubtful.

How long is your Globetrotter, year, and just how much do you have to do to get it ready? We would love to keep up with your progress.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Oak Ridge North , Texas
Hi! We are wanting to have a table for2, and 1 bed! Just not sure how to set up! Any helpful suggestions are Welcome! We will have to do a complete redo! Thanks so much!
Swimhard4 is offline   Reply With Quote