Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Pisgah Fores , NC
1966 Globetrotter pitfalls???

Well we've got the bug to go off and live on the road for awhile in the next year or so. So now we need a trailer that works for us. After much deliberation we've narrowed it down to the Caravel or Globetrotter models. We've found a few of each that are all in need of one thing or another. All fall in the '62 to '66 range and are in good exterior shape and aged interior shape. We are more in love with the twin set up as we like the idea of a table to sit at to write/eat/game on.

So what do I look out for -- you know a real deal breaker unless the price is smoking good. Common frailities? I know I'll wind up doing lots of work as I'm somewhat of a perfectionist systems wise, and my wife is a style junky.

We're planning to pull with either a Ford F150 5.4 for trips we take the motorcycles on or a Mazda Tribute 3.0(I think). Any feedback here? Both are already setup for towing with a controller.

Anyone want to talk swap for vintage motorcycles or cars on an AS??

Thanks for your help getting a newbie off to a good start. Rob and Su
CtRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
Sounds like fun- we did the same search before we left on our 2 1/2 year "everywhere" trip. I ended up with a Safari, but was really looking for a Globetrotter. The extra two feet in length doesn't make a big difference in parking or weight, and it was what I could find. My search got narrowed down to 1965 or 1966 model years, because the door was closer to the middle of the body, and the bed in front could be left down most of the time.
Due to a design flaw in the back of the trailer (where the shell connects to the subfloor and frame above the bumper), water gets pulled in and rots out the subfloor under the bath. It happens to all of them, and they either have been repaired, or need to be.

Go with the F150. We pulled ours back and forth over the Rockies (with a full water tank) with a 1990 that has a 5.0. I had a great old '62 Tbird I would have loved to use for the style, but I knew it wouldn't be up to the stress. The long wheelbase makes it all so much more stable.

If it's even remotely questionable, replace the axle. You only have one under there, and it's the thing between you and catastrophic adventure-ending nastiness.

I ended up building a dinette across from the stove and sink, and went with a double-bed gaucho up front. Felt too much like Ricky and Lucy with the twins.

Get a big, big battery, and get rid of the univolt charger. The best places to camp have no hookups, and I'm sure you aren't going on the road to look at the side of someone's Winnebago in an RV park.

There are a lot of people that would be happy to inspect one of your potential candidates for you, and tell you if there is anything that would be a deal breaker.

Brad
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We have both a '64 GlobeTrotter (19') and a '56 Safari (22'). The GT has a gaucho/bed and the Safari has twins. I would have to say the Safari is much more comfortable for a longer trip...two main reasons:

1) extra length = extra storage - something to consider, especially if you are full-timing, even if just for a year. Also more room to move around - especially if you travel with any pets or kids.
2) full-time beds - having to make-up/make-down the bed every day would a PITA if you had to do it for more than a couple of weeks. We've done it for up to 3 weeks - and it gets old. As you mentioned, having a 20' ('65+) GT allows for the bed up front which could be left down...but it's still very cozy.

I've know people who do part-time/full-time in a '64 GT but they really use their truck with shell for ALOT of storage that could be accommodated in a larger trailer. It's jam-packed - no room for motorcycles or the like. Of course, everybody's lifestyle is different - maybe you don't need as much "stuff", but we would be much happier, longer in a 22-footer.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Having owned both a Globetrotter and a Safari, I agree with Shari that the extra length does equate to extra storage and a little more "move around" room. Bear in mind though that the shorter trailer will open up more camping opportunities, especially in state parks and popular national parks (like Yosemite).... the shorter your trailer, the more campsite choices you have!

All of this said, there are certainly times when I wish I had a 25-27ft trailer. The appeal of fixed beds is huge!
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
A dedicated bed would be a must if it were me.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Pisgah Fores , NC
The list of candidates

Thanks for all the input.

So far this is the list of candidates:
62 GT Double
64 GT Double
66 GT Twin
66 Safari Twin
66 Caravelle
69 Safari Double

We are in no huge hurry but if the unit feels right we'll move forward with it. The Twin models are our favorite so far but we've got to get more time inside the others to feel what it would be like to be in it to live.

We are definately minimalists when it comes to clothing/gear so we can fit in what we have. Another possibility is to consider a Sprinter type van for a PV as it would have height for motorcycles and room for gear. No we are not interested in the AS Sprinters or a motorhome.

I've seen mention of the issue of floors having soft spots and the tail floor of the 60's units having rot. Can the spot just be cut out and replaced? Whole floor need to be replaced? Is there an online tutorial of how to? I haven't had luck finding an easy to read threads yet.

Thanks so much for all your input. Look forward to becoming an owner!

Rob and Su
CtRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
We just did a month on the west coast in our '62 GT. The inhabitants were 2 large dogs and 2 adults. We did just fine, though it was pretty cozy - especially when the weather was bad. I could've done with more storage and a permanent bed, if for no other reason than we had to put away the beds just to access the drawers! We ended up keeping all of our clothes in an Army duffel bag, moving it back and forth between the trailer and the car as needed. Not a terribly elegant solution.

All that said, the short length was wonderful for the tight twists and turns along California's Highway 1, tucking into smaller spots at the local campground, and the weight was at the upper limit for our torquey-yet-maxed-out V6.

Maybe the right advice for most people is: for longer trips, use longer trailers.

Tags
1966, 1966 globetrotter