Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
1966 Airstream Globetrotter (Twin)

Just wanted to post some pics and start a restoration thread for myself (to keep me accountable). If people read it, awesome!

I plan to restore this while camping in it.

I owned a '63 Bambi up until last year when I sold it and have been regretful ever since. I actually bought that one, retrofitted it to be a photobooth. I made some bucks with it and then sold it to a competitor. I've seen her on the road and man I am upset!

Well, I found this 1966 Airstream Globetrotter (Twin) for a great deal. From the VIN, she is number 8 off the line. She has some issues but is complete and I plan to resolve them as I can. The first thing I'm doing is replacing the bent out of shape trailer jack with a new one.

I've included a link to the current Airstream I own and also a separate link to what Bambi became.

I will likely be scouring the forums for answers to questions but Happy to be back in the Airstream game!

Globetrotter
1966 Airstream Globetrotter Photos by mannrey | Photobucket

1963 Bambi (GONE FOREVER!)
1963 Bambi Photos by mannrey | Photobucket
bambibooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
Look$ like tool time!
Have fun, I am.
Del
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
WOW, I would have no idea where to start. Good luck with it.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
GlamperGirl

This is great!! Looking forward to your story unfolding! Dena
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Grants Pass , Oregon
Very cool. Welcome back...
Old 11-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I've been doing lots of weekend kayaking jaunts in my Airstream as I've been working on it for the past year. I've found it very beneficial to the design process, as you can test out ideas before committing to them 100%. Finding other uses for superfluous storage has really opened up the space for me.

Watching other folks interact with trailer is instructive, as well. If nearly everybody bumps their head on a cabinet, it's time to move that thing! If no one ever occupies a seat, why have it?

If you invite others in while camping, be prepared for strange reactions. Though my Airstream is perfectly comfortable for us, others see the unfinished state of things and think, "You poor, wretched man, squatting in squalor in a construction site." Then they crawl through the mud into their Kmart tent. Go figure!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Thanks for all the comments everyone.
I have just made my first purchase order from vintagetrailersupply so I will update this thread soon!

B
Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I'm going to subscribe and watch you work! It's a lot of fun bringing these old trailers back to life. And you will likely recover the $$$ you put into it. Maybe not the labor.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Welcome back. 66 is a great year.
I work on mine and continue to camp in it. I have made some improvements and have more planned. See "dan's 66 tradewind improvements" for details.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Just a quick update for those who may be interested

I put on a new trailer jack which I ordered from VTS.

I also took the window AC out of the back of the trailer and put in a plexiglass window.

It's a temporary fix until I can find an Airstream window frame that will fit. The trailer didn't come with it unfortunately.

And, I made some "panels" for the side of the Airstream where the access doors were missing.

Another temporary fix until I can (if) I find some or order replacements from somewhere. If anyone knows of a place that sells them or a window, let me know!

I also started sanding down some cabinets and cutting new pieces to fit for the counter.

I have removed the fridge and it has power when plugged in but isn't cooling. I haven't tested it on gas yet.

More fixin' to do!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #11
GlamperGirl

Hi there, Looks like you got lucky on your flooring. My asbestos tile had nothing to stick to. The floor is so rotted. I bumped my head three times on my upper dinette cabinet today while removing it all. I too use VTS for many of my parts. WIll you be doing any complete panel replacement?

Good luck!
Dena
Old 12-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I believe the rear glass in the 66 trailers is flat tempered glass. I believe an automotive glass shop can cut you a new one. Installation is a different story as you know, the thickness has to fit the "glass bar" at the top of the window. There are threads on this type of window repair. The front and rear windows are easier than the curved side windows in our trailers.

And look for used, serviceable parts. Silver Trailer Supply had a used compartment door that I purchased. And I'm told there is an Airstream salvage yard in Waterloo, IA, (closer to me) that deals in used Airstream parts. You might find what you need.

David
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Hi there, Looks like you got lucky on your flooring. My asbestos tile had nothing to stick to. The floor is so rotted. I bumped my head three times on my upper dinette cabinet today while removing it all. I too use VTS for many of my parts. WIll you be doing any complete panel replacement?

Good luck!
Dena
Hey Dena,
I didn't have asbestos tile because it appears the previous owner removed it and added vinyl tile at some point. I am not sure when that happened.

I do have some floor rot under the area where the fridge was, but I am not going to worry about it right now. I have done a full floor replacement and i feel your pain. I am not interested in doing that at this point though I know it will come eventually.

The height of the trailer definitely takes some getting used to, and I am not a tall person.

I don't plan to do any panel replacement, interior or exterior. There's a larger dent in the left corner of the bathroom of the aluminum outer shell, but I think I will remove one interior panel in that area and pop it out. I say that knowing it certainly won't be that easy.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I believe the rear glass in the 66 trailers is flat tempered glass. I believe an automotive glass shop can cut you a new one. Installation is a different story as you know, the thickness has to fit the "glass bar" at the top of the window. There are threads on this type of window repair. The front and rear windows are easier than the curved side windows in our trailers.

And look for used, serviceable parts. Silver Trailer Supply had a used compartment door that I purchased. And I'm told there is an Airstream salvage yard in Waterloo, IA, (closer to me) that deals in used Airstream parts. You might find what you need.

David
Hey David,
Thanks for that info on Silver Trailer and the salvage yard.
I am not looking for the glass, I am actually looking for the window sash. I have found them on Silver Trailer before but at a cost of $250! But to tell you the truth, now that I am writing this, I need to take a closer look at my other windows to see how they are connected, I may be in good shape after all. Actually, I just looked it up and what I am looking for is the "glass bar" and "glass bar arms" for my back window. I have the frame/sash so that is good. Thanks for the help in getting me to look closer!

If it comes down to it, I may buy one but I am hoping to get around Austin. We have a ton of gutted Airstreams around here. Everyone wants to be the next Hey CupCake (a cupcake shop out of an Airstream).

It tears me up knowing people are gutting their trailers and junking all the dang parts!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:59 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Started the painful, slow process of shining up this beast!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
bambibooth... I'll be polishing my old Trade Wind 24' this winter. It's four feet longer than yours, so feel my pain. It takes a ton of hours to polish one. I'm budgeting a hundred hours, but it will likely take longer. These old trailers look dramatic when done. Shiny things attract people. A shiny trailer will attract customers to your business.

The 66. 67, and 68 had these goofy phillips windows with frameless Corning tempered glass. Advanced at the time, but a pain now. VTS sells the curved glass, the "glass bar" and some of the links for these windows. They do not sell the "hinge" which is the long piece that the glass bar screws into. The hinge is a salvage yard hunt. These phillips windows are known to leak. And by the way, our trailers do not have drip caps over the windows. I think Airstream only eliminated the drip caps during these three years. The 65s have them, the 69s have them. I think drip caps reduce the chance of leaks as it diverts rain water away from the hinge area.

It's a long process to renovate these vintage Airstreams. But worth it in the end.

David
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Did a little more shining

I had the chance to do a little more shining this Saturday before it started raining.
This is the first stage of shining so I'll be at it for a while.

In other restoration news, I have a pretty nice dent in the left front corner of the trailer. I started to remove the bottom panel inside to bang the dent out but I am now considering just cutting a hole in the inside top panel where the dent is located and patching it with a square after I bang out the dent. I'll then paint to match. Any thoughts on this?

Here are a few images:

I am also having the durndest time with my towing lights. I have rewired a new 7 blade plug. I mapped it out using some diagrams that matched the old trailers.

So far, I can only get two running lights to come on. No brakes, blinkers, nothing. i even removed the locker/shelf in the front to troubleshoot but still having no freaking luck. The insulation behind this shelf STINKS BAD!
It's one of those things where I am hoping I don't get the bright idea to remove the panels to rewire the trailer and add new insulation, etc....down the rabbit hole I go...

Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi there.

I replaced the umbilicord on my 66 Trade Wind. You have found the junction box built into the belly pan under the curb side where the A frame joins the frame rail. You remove the little access panel to get to the exterior wires. Maybe the lights worked before you wired in the new umbilical cord? If not, then may the old exterior lights need their grounds brightened up for a good connection.

Keep in mind the 1966 trailer wire colors do not match modern trailer wire protocol. Here is the trailer exterior wiring diagram showing the color of wires that Airstream used when building our trailers. It might help you. It sure did me.

Your trailer took quite a blow on the noggen there. That's quite a bit of damage. You can roll out that end cap dent a little with a partially deflated basketball, or laminate counter top roller, or even a suction cup from the outside. But you won't have much luck with a hammer. You gotta move the aluminum slowly and carefully. Some folks in these forums have been very successful in removing dents. The creases won't iron out completely

Yep, it's a slippery slope down the money pit with these old Airstreams.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Exterior Lights Diagram.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	228607  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi there.

I replaced the umbilicord on my 66 Trade Wind. You have found the junction box built into the belly pan under the curb side where the A frame joins the frame rail. You remove the little access panel to get to the exterior wires. Maybe the lights worked before you wired in the new umbilical cord? If not, then may the old exterior lights need their grounds brightened up for a good connection.

Keep in mind the 1966 trailer wire colors do not match modern trailer wire protocol. Here is the trailer exterior wiring diagram showing the color of wires that Airstream used when building our trailers. It might help you. It sure did me.

Your trailer took quite a blow on the noggen there. That's quite a bit of damage. You can roll out that end cap dent a little with a partially deflated basketball, or laminate counter top roller, or even a suction cup from the outside. But you won't have much luck with a hammer. You gotta move the aluminum slowly and carefully. Some folks in these forums have been very successful in removing dents. The creases won't iron out completely

Yep, it's a slippery slope down the money pit with these old Airstreams.

David
Thanks for that image, I'll rework the cord next weekend when I get time. None of the lights worked when I got the trailer FYI.
Ditto on the dent removal advice.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
GlamperGirl

Bambibooth. I have the same knock on my roof of my 65 Globetrotter and a few choice others . Basketball talk from David too. What about using propane along with rolling the ball? Light heat? Here are a few pics of all the dents.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11042...63767839658481

My windows all need to to be redone as well. Painted shut and a mess!
Dena

Tags