Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Putting her back together: Kitchen Counter and Cabinet

I did a little work on the kitchen area of the Airstream.
My countertop in the trailer was rotted something serious, so it needed to go.

I wanted something super lightweight and didn't want to have to paint, sand, etc, put down a laminate.

So, I went to IKEA and grabbed a tabletop/counter from the clearance section and it was just about perfect. The width was dead on, and the length just needed a slight cut.

I used the old counter top as a template to cut the curves and cutouts for the sink, stove/oven, and fridge vent. Below is a closeup of the sink hole with the original Airstream trim.

Stove cutout area. I will add in the stove/oven trim pieces once the counter is secured to the wall and cabinet:

You can see in this photo that the 'counter' is mostly made of cardboard inside but it works. Lightweight, affordable, looks nice.

Below you can see just how much of a scatterbrain I am with the complete mess I make with all my tools and pieces. The cabinet is secured now, just need to add the trim and finish painting.

Next up is finishing up the bathroom area. Instead of cutting wood and then painting it with some sort of waterproof paint, I went to the big box store and got a piece of that dry erase board and cut it to spec. It withstands splashes of water pretty well. I just stuck it up in the space to see how it looked. It is hard to get a good pic.

My new axle arrives tomorrow and I am still thinking about how exactly I will get that home....

Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New Water Heater Installation

I ordered a new 6 gallon Atwood water heater from Amazon, and got the chance to work on it yesterday evening.

For quite a while, I've had the hole where it goes patched up with black plastic which I know my neighbors have just loved.

It took a bit of work and cutting on the trailer and the trim, but I managed to get the original trim on the water heater. The hole has quite a bit of grunge and old caulk. I'll polish it up and make it look nice soon enough!

Here's a shot of the hole:

Here's the heater with the original trim. I polished it up a bit but will do the rest once I have it fully mounted with sealant:

I kept all the original pieces and will be using them as my door instead of a newer door.

I put it in place as a test:

And, finally the view from the inside:

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New Axle Arrived

My new axle arrived.

I ordered it from Inland RV during their sale which I believe is on until the end of March. If you're thinking about getting one, I suggest you do it it now!

It came out of a placed called Redneck Trailer Supply in Arlington and shipped to me in Austin, and now I'm wondering if you can just order it from them?

Oh well, I got a great price and I'm happy it is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original. The Inland team helped me get the right one. I provided my trailer model and VIN and they do what to send. I also ordered two new shocks.

I haven't tried mounting it yet so who knows how that will go. I took a measurement of the bolt holes and they seem to match up...

For those who order one, keep in mind it will take about 2-3 weeks to ship and then only to a commercial address.

When it arrives by freight, it will be on 3 pallets and will take 2 people to lift into a SUV/truck. My office mate and I were able to lift it into my 4runner and fit diagonally in the back with the seats down. It is about 80 inches wide or so.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #32
GlamperGirl

Glad you got your bolt holes right. My installer had a bit of an issue for the one I ordered in the same way from Inland. I can send you photos of what they had to do to make mine work.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
New toilet and water pump

I ended up having to buy a new toilet for the trailer. I couldn't get the original Slide O Matic to seal correctly and with the amount of time and parts I would have spent on it, it was cheaper to get a new Thetford Aqua Magic V. Bummer that it's plastic considering the old one was porcelain, but it works.

I also got the chance to install a new water pump and all water is flowing nicely.

I have also started to tackle putting this beast back together.
Next week, I finally plan to get the new axle on.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
The Aqua Magic V is a good choice. I like the fact it is lighter weight than the porcelain model. It will rinse and clean well. The "wet bath" looks nice in the afternoon sun.

Who's idea was it to put those huge windows in our rear bathrooms? I think it is the "Wally Byam see through the trailer while towing" window. What the owner wants, the owner gets. But a big picture window in the bathroom doesn't make sense to me.

You're making progress. That's more than I can say for me!

David
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
The Aqua Magic V is a good choice. I like the fact it is lighter weight than the porcelain model. It will rinse and clean well. The "wet bath" looks nice in the afternoon sun.

Who's idea was it to put those huge windows in our rear bathrooms? I think it is the "Wally Byam see through the trailer while towing" window. What the owner wants, the owner gets. But a big picture window in the bathroom doesn't make sense to me.

David
I too, have often wondered about that window. I am assuming some kind of waterproof curtain will go there but haven't put one up yet. Still more to go, thanks for keeping up with me!

B
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Rear window shade

Our '66 model back window came with a vinyl roll-up window shade. The valance at the top doubles as a rack for misc. stuff that one needs when in the bathroom. I cropped this pic out of a larger one--best I have available at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0021.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	235782  
Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Escape Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

David
It may also be sized as an Escape Hatch in case of fire, etc.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Our '66 model back window came with a vinyl roll-up window shade. The valance at the top doubles as a rack for misc. stuff that one needs when in the bathroom. I cropped this pic out of a larger one--best I have available at the moment.
Thanks for that pic! Good to know what might have been the original piece that I'm missing. I don't have any of that shade. I will eventually look for one and hang it.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Countertop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambibooth View Post
I did a little work on the kitchen area of the Airstream.
My countertop in the trailer was rotted something serious, so it needed to go.

I wanted something super lightweight and didn't want to have to paint, sand, etc, put down a laminate.

So, I went to IKEA and grabbed a tabletop/counter from the clearance section and it was just about perfect. The width was dead on, and the length just needed a slight cut.

I used the old counter top as a template to cut the curves and cutouts for the sink, stove/oven, and fridge vent. Below is a closeup of the sink hole with the original Airstream trim.

Stove cutout area. I will add in the stove/oven trim pieces once the counter is secured to the wall and cabinet:

You can see in this photo that the 'counter' is mostly made of cardboard inside but it works. Lightweight, affordable, looks nice.

Below you can see just how much of a scatterbrain I am with the complete mess I make with all my tools and pieces. The cabinet is secured now, just need to add the trim and finish painting.

Next up is finishing up the bathroom area. Instead of cutting wood and then painting it with some sort of waterproof paint, I went to the big box store and got a piece of that dry erase board and cut it to spec. It withstands splashes of water pretty well. I just stuck it up in the space to see how it looked. It is hard to get a good pic.

My new axle arrives tomorrow and I am still thinking about how exactly I will get that home....
I did something similar in the Bambi II - used an Ikea desk top with a stainless top and rolled edge that made a great countertop. Hard to cut the stainless for sink cutout though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1477.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	235798  
Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
BambiTex, that countertop looks great. I really like the drop down microwave as well.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambibooth View Post
BambiTex, that countertop looks great. I really like the drop down microwave as well.
That was my solution to preserving what little counterspace we had.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #42
GlamperGirl

oh how i covet your progress! Looks great and thank you for the sharing of your details

Tags