Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Started the painful, slow process of shining up this beast!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
bambibooth... I'll be polishing my old Trade Wind 24' this winter. It's four feet longer than yours, so feel my pain. It takes a ton of hours to polish one. I'm budgeting a hundred hours, but it will likely take longer. These old trailers look dramatic when done. Shiny things attract people. A shiny trailer will attract customers to your business.

The 66. 67, and 68 had these goofy phillips windows with frameless Corning tempered glass. Advanced at the time, but a pain now. VTS sells the curved glass, the "glass bar" and some of the links for these windows. They do not sell the "hinge" which is the long piece that the glass bar screws into. The hinge is a salvage yard hunt. These phillips windows are known to leak. And by the way, our trailers do not have drip caps over the windows. I think Airstream only eliminated the drip caps during these three years. The 65s have them, the 69s have them. I think drip caps reduce the chance of leaks as it diverts rain water away from the hinge area.

It's a long process to renovate these vintage Airstreams. But worth it in the end.

David

Old 12-14-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Did a little more shining

I had the chance to do a little more shining this Saturday before it started raining.
This is the first stage of shining so I'll be at it for a while.

In other restoration news, I have a pretty nice dent in the left front corner of the trailer. I started to remove the bottom panel inside to bang the dent out but I am now considering just cutting a hole in the inside top panel where the dent is located and patching it with a square after I bang out the dent. I'll then paint to match. Any thoughts on this?

Here are a few images:

I am also having the durndest time with my towing lights. I have rewired a new 7 blade plug. I mapped it out using some diagrams that matched the old trailers.

So far, I can only get two running lights to come on. No brakes, blinkers, nothing. i even removed the locker/shelf in the front to troubleshoot but still having no freaking luck. The insulation behind this shelf STINKS BAD!
It's one of those things where I am hoping I don't get the bright idea to remove the panels to rewire the trailer and add new insulation, etc....down the rabbit hole I go...

Old 12-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi there.

I replaced the umbilicord on my 66 Trade Wind. You have found the junction box built into the belly pan under the curb side where the A frame joins the frame rail. You remove the little access panel to get to the exterior wires. Maybe the lights worked before you wired in the new umbilical cord? If not, then may the old exterior lights need their grounds brightened up for a good connection.

Keep in mind the 1966 trailer wire colors do not match modern trailer wire protocol. Here is the trailer exterior wiring diagram showing the color of wires that Airstream used when building our trailers. It might help you. It sure did me.

Your trailer took quite a blow on the noggen there. That's quite a bit of damage. You can roll out that end cap dent a little with a partially deflated basketball, or laminate counter top roller, or even a suction cup from the outside. But you won't have much luck with a hammer. You gotta move the aluminum slowly and carefully. Some folks in these forums have been very successful in removing dents. The creases won't iron out completely

Yep, it's a slippery slope down the money pit with these old Airstreams.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Exterior Lights Diagram.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	228607  
Old 12-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi there.

I replaced the umbilicord on my 66 Trade Wind. You have found the junction box built into the belly pan under the curb side where the A frame joins the frame rail. You remove the little access panel to get to the exterior wires. Maybe the lights worked before you wired in the new umbilical cord? If not, then may the old exterior lights need their grounds brightened up for a good connection.

Keep in mind the 1966 trailer wire colors do not match modern trailer wire protocol. Here is the trailer exterior wiring diagram showing the color of wires that Airstream used when building our trailers. It might help you. It sure did me.

Your trailer took quite a blow on the noggen there. That's quite a bit of damage. You can roll out that end cap dent a little with a partially deflated basketball, or laminate counter top roller, or even a suction cup from the outside. But you won't have much luck with a hammer. You gotta move the aluminum slowly and carefully. Some folks in these forums have been very successful in removing dents. The creases won't iron out completely

Yep, it's a slippery slope down the money pit with these old Airstreams.

David
Thanks for that image, I'll rework the cord next weekend when I get time. None of the lights worked when I got the trailer FYI.
Ditto on the dent removal advice.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
GlamperGirl

Bambibooth. I have the same knock on my roof of my 65 Globetrotter and a few choice others . Basketball talk from David too. What about using propane along with rolling the ball? Light heat? Here are a few pics of all the dents.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11042...63767839658481

My windows all need to to be redone as well. Painted shut and a mess!
Dena
Old 12-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Bambibooth. I have the same knock on my roof of my 65 Globetrotter and a few choice others . Basketball talk from David too. What about using propane along with rolling the ball? Light heat? Here are a few pics of all the dents.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11042...63767839658481

My windows all need to to be redone as well. Painted shut and a mess!
Dena
I am jealous that you have all your windows and hatch/access panels. As far as dents, People seem to hit trees with these things.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
The joy of discovery!

Joy? Not so much. Discovery? Oh yes.
The trailer is basically gutted now and I am replacing the rear floor section. This includes some frame repair by a welder which you can see here in the photos below. (You can see what needs to be repaired.)

Turns out, the black tank is cracked on top as well, poo.
I am ordering a new black tank and then plan to refinish the "tub/bathroom" section and put it all back in nicely.

I am also replacing the water lines with PEX, since some copper was bent and broken.
I plan to rewire the lights to run under a laminate floor (instead of under the trailer in the frame.) All my wires were chewed to bits, which is the reason the running lights weren't working in the first place.

I was able to bang out most of the dent in my top front corner so that is a plus. I still have some body spooning to do but I am satisfied with how much is gone. I plan to put a block of Styrofoam to keep the dent from coming back, once I put the top panel back in.

I am also replacing all the lower panel insulation because it was nasty!

I will make her nice!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I'ts been a while since I updated

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

The trailer now has a whole new subfloor!
I did somewhat of a shell off but without actually lifting the shell. So, it was more of a shell on.

It was tough! To anyone who has done this, you know what I mean. This is the 2nd one I've done, but this was by far much harder than before.

I am pretty terrible at woodworking so I did have to do some foam fill on the seams of the plywood.

With the exception of the one beam in the back, the rest of the frame was still PAINTED BLACK. I did scrape off any rust and repainted it with some Rustoleum.

I also started to put a little test of my new laminate floor down to see what it could look like. I want a different floor but I have a TON of this leftover from renovating my duplex so I am will just use it.

I am also putting in a new black tank which I ordered from VTS. It's bigger than my old one and the cabinets will need some modification but I am happy with the tank replacement.

I had to replace a beam of the trailer frame and reroute the gray water drain pipe around it. I didn't get a pic of that.

It now has all new plumbing and a new Valterra tank valve and pull rod. Gray water will go to a blue boy via a water hose. I didn't want to mess with installing a tiny gray tank.

She's got new running lights and all new wiring from the TV cord to a junction box to the running/brake lights, new brake wires, etc.

And, I managed to get one of the upper interior panels out, put in new insulation, and then with much STRENGTH, my wife and I managed to get it back in place.

Next up is putting the panels back in with new insulation to replace what I removed. I'll then put the rear bathroom "piece" back. This one piece section has been refinished with one of those bath tub refinishing kits.

I still need to order a new water heater. I am thinking of going for a 12 gallon one, because I know my wife will never want to do the RV shower method of water on, water off.

Then, I'm ordering a new axle and taking her out camping.

Soon after that, I'll be putting my cabinets, gaucho, etc back in.

More to come.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #24
GlamperGirl

Gorgeous!!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
McMinnville , Oregon
She is looking great! Can't wait to see the next update.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
It's a tough job. Some work done, lots to go!

As the title of this post says, there's a ton of work to do but I'm hopeful that I'm actually making progress, though it doesn't feel that way.
To all who have done a full restoration, I feel your pain.

Some back-breaking updates include all walls back in, bathroom tub section back in, plumbing/drains are back in and flowing, 110v power is working again, PEX plumbing is in and waiting for a water heater that's on the way. Read on to the next few posts (I'm separating them) for details and pictures!

First up:
Someone who owned this pup before me had clearly run into a branch something serious and put a nice gouge and some scrapes in the passenger side of the trailer. I decided instead of patching it with aluminum, I'd wire a waterproof external inlet plug from Leviton. The previous option of power was a cord under the gaucho so this works much better.

Here's a few before and after pic:

Old 03-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Bathroom and plumbing

The full bathroom tub/toilet section was pretty gnarly. I bought one of those Tough as Tile tub refinishing kits for the tub and got her looking good as new. Or, close to it.

Before (sorry for the out of focus shot):

After:

Here's a closeup of the tub area:

New pex pipes ready for the water heater. You can also see the new pipes leading up to the sink and down to the new black tank below:

Here's where the water will come in. This is where the original water inlet was so I just used the same setup.

New pex, new hose inlet, new pressure release valve, new pressure regulator and check valve.

I've done a few more things including painting inside and the pipes under the trailer to the black tank are new, etc.

I have an axle scheduled to arrive Tuesday, along with new shocks which I hope to put in next weekend. And, I have a water heater on the way and I'll hopefully get that in this week,

Good day all!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
You are making good progress. I like the way you "re-purposed" that gouge in the exterior skin into an exterior power outlet.

David

Tags