Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I found my Airstream in a little town in Illinois. She was posted on ebay and I had wanted that particular year and model for quite some time. Because she is a 60's era trailer her name comes from the same.

On the way home from Illinois a friend and I racked our brains on 60's names and wrote every one down. By the time we got her home to Colorado we had settled on the name of Aunt Bee (the spelling of Bee is correct...look up Frances Bauvier on google). I even have a picture of Aunt Bee, Sheriff Taylor and Opey hanging in the Airstream.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0dlc
I don't name material objects, nothing against those who do but I don't, err, didn't... Bought the Caravel and ~DS asked me what I was going to call it. I usually wouldn't have a answer to that question but for some reason, still unknown to me, I replied "Hanz".

--Dwight
I live in Maryland, not too far from the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake has a long history of ship building. Many of the ship builders will not put their boats in the water until they have been named. It is serious bad luck and they say a boat without a name is sure to sink. The other superstition held by the old time work boat builders is that it can only have a woman's name. Bobby Joe is seen on boats, but it is the owners wife or daughters name, not a son. Wally named the models of trailers after famous ships. I think in honor of Wally, all trailers should be named. They are Land Yachts are they not?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
I live in Maryland, not too far from the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake has a long history of ship building. Many of the ship builders will not put their boats in the water until they have been named. It is serious bad luck and they say a boat without a name is sure to sink. The other superstition held by the old time work boat builders is that it can only have a woman's name. Bobby Joe is seen on boats, but it is the owners wife or daughters name, not a son. Wally named the models of trailers after famous ships. I think in honor of Wally, all trailers should be named. They are Land Yachts are they not?
Well... I can't argue, . It was just so out of character for me, so spontaneous, that I still don't know why I replied, evidently I have a case of that aluminumitius(sp?) disease. But I guess I still did it wrong as Hanz is masculine. Oh well, laugh with me!

--Dwight
k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Our classic moho was "Big Al" for a short time, until I decided I wanted to do the interior in a Western bunkhouse theme. He then became "Rockin' A." Our license plate (my very first vanity plate ever!) says ROCKN A. He will even have his own special brand (yes, a branding iron)!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A Caravel was a tiny little ship that was fast and manoverable. My uncle Hans that lives in Stienhiem, Germany has none of those traits....
Will you be attending the VAC rally in June with your Caravel? Ohio is almost right next door to Virginia.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The informal name of mine is Ho-Ho.

The former owner used the trailer as a tree magnet and managed to smash both ends. As anybody over 35 remembers, ho-ho's used to be wrapped in tin foil with crumpled ends.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Don't know if I will have Hanz roadworthy by then, want a new axle installed first, but may just show up and tent camp. Used to live in Castleton VA so it would also be a chance to visit old friends.

--Dwight
k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Our first "named" AS was Vickie. My wife was convinced I had a girlfriend - I spent so much caring and loving our AS. Then, our daughter came up with Vickie as a name - it stuck.

Wanda Fa - Well, Wanda's name says it all - or at least our goals...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427 (Large).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	53562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5407 (Large).JPG
Views:	199
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	53564  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
We lovingly call our AS "The Crappy Camper"

1) We bought our 31' 76' Sovereign on ebay on a Friday night and picked her up in Kansas the next day. The turn around was so fast the owner didn't have time to clean her out. . .(Like he didn't know he was going to sell it? Wouldn't you clean it out either before or during the 5 day's it was up for sale?) Anyway we were so excited to get her home we told him we would clean it out, and it was a MESS. So . . I called it the Crappy Camper because of all the crap in it.

Reason #2 and our favorite reason: Just to hear our granddaughter say. .
"I Love Awah Cwappy Campoh"
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #30
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Patches, because it was hit by a tree once, and required some patch work LOL
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
We finally named our '53 Flying Cloud "Miss Molly". My husband often uses the phrase good golly Miss Molly so it seems appropriate.

I must say that it took awhile to decide. Immediately after we got her last summer by husband kept asking me what I was going to name it. I'm not usually one to name things, but I knew our trailer had to have a name and it was important not to settle for something that didn't feel right.
2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
LadyBug

...cause she was filled with 1000's of LadyBugs - all hibernating inside when we picked her up last march from Indiana
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For those that don't know, an Argosy was an ancient merchant ship.
It is also bad luck to change the name of a ship once it has been named. The Britanis was the world's first cruise ship, it was renamed (to something completely unmemorable), and promptly sank while under tow to its new owners... The Summit Venture (ship that knocked down the Sunshine Skyway bridge), was renamed Sun Venture, and has had nothing but disaster follow her. Exxon Valdez has also been renamed, (I forget her new name) and has been giving her owners lots of problems.
My point (yes, I have one) is to accept the name your Airstream was given by its previous owner if at all possible. Probably nothing will happen, but why tempt fate?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Alumiwomb

We've always thought of our Bambi as our "escape pod". Recently, when sheltered from the elements, we came up with the nickname "ALUMIWOMB".

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Stella

Our '67 Globetrotter is "Stella," named for Wally's wife. We have yet to name our '61 Overlander- nothing has stuck (maybe once we get to camp in her something will come to us) her previous owner named her Tropic Air (but once we finish re-doing her interior she isn't going to be finished in a tropical theme).
Old 02-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Our late kitty loved the Airstream. When it was set up in the back she'd head right to it, wait for us to open the door, hop up on my bed and luxuriate for hours. So, we started calling her the trailer trash kitty and the trailer Cricket's den which has now become Cricket. Every time I go into it for the first time each day I remember that little fur ball and it makes me feel good inside.

Barry
Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #37
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
All
Being military retired I named ours "Space A" which is the military designation for Space Available travel allowed on a government conveyance and of course Airstream.
Gus
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Normaly I name my cars 'people' names, like Madeleine, Theresa, etc, but when I acquired the rig from my brother, Ole81 just seemed to fit, since it IS a 1981 and the big red numbers on it are '8181'....DULL but it fits!
Keep Smiling...

31' 1981 Excella II
2001 F-250 7.3D Crew w/8'bed and Pullrite 180degree

"Ask the Man Who Owns One" (Packard, Of Course)
or
"Ask the Woman who lives with one...or more!" (Gail)
'
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Mississauga , Ontario
EscPod - 'Esc' for the computer keyboard 'Esc' key intended to initiate an escape sequence and Pod for the vessel itself !
EscPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Our late kitty loved the Airstream. When it was set up in the back she'd head right to it, wait for us to open the door, hop up on my bed and luxuriate for hours. So, we started calling her the trailer trash kitty and the trailer Cricket's den which has now become Cricket. Every time I go into it for the first time each day I remember that little fur ball and it makes me feel good inside.

Barry
Barry, are you aware you can tell people you own a cat house?