Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yo, Mac guys, I need advice!

I'm interested in getting into developing apps for the iPhone/iPad, but to do that I need to switch over to a Mac. I've only had PCs for a loooong time, so I haven't really paid much attention to the various flavors of Mac. Any advice on what I need to look for to get a used macbook that will do the trick for me? I'm thinking laptop because I like to stay mobile, and be able to work wherever I go.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I changed to Mac about 2 years ago, I'll never go back. Any of the Macs will get you acquainted. I am still not as proficient as I was on PC's, still a lot to learn. I find the OS just more intuitive and I've never had an OS problem.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
I just sold a Macbook Pro (3 yrs old) for about 1K. Look into a pro version. Also, be sure to check out the itunes store. Search for Stanford and they have an extensive app dev course from Stanford Univ. that you may enjoy.
Jaime
1956Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956Safari View Post
I just sold a Macbook Pro (3 yrs old) for about 1K. Look into a pro version. Also, be sure to check out the itunes store. Search for Stanford and they have an extensive app dev course from Stanford Univ. that you may enjoy.
Jaime
Thanks, that's very helpful. I see the Stanford class has some info about system requirements for app development. Why didn't they have fun classes like that when I was in school? Oh yeah, because we were doing UNIX on a mainframe, they didn't even think that 'windows' thing was going to catch on...

Old 05-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Steph, I've had Macs for a while now, and will probably upgrade to a 13" MacBook Pro in the near future. Current laptop is a G4 PowerBook. This was the last incarnation before the laptops went to Intel processors. The Intel-equipped ones are better because you can partition the hard drive, and load Windows on the partition, and run your Windows-friendly programs. I would recommend finding an Apple retailer in your area, rather than buying straight from Apple. You may get a discount from them, and they usually have more time to orient you with them. I would go with new over used, simply because you don't know when the previous owner spilled a cup of latte on the keyboard of the used one. The base model Macbook Pro 13" is about $1200 list.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
I have been on a Macbook Pro for three years and can't think of using anything else. I do web design and seo work and couldn't be happier with my set-up.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
FYI, apple offers student discounts
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes they do and so does Journey Education. They carry all of the leading software and offer great student discounts. You'll need to provide a copy of your student ID or some other form of ID showing you're a current student.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
You'll absolutely want to make sure it is an Intel based Mac if you buy used. Otherwise you won't even be able to use the latest SDK. Macs seem to hold a pretty high resale value so I vote buy new also. Even the lower end new ones are faster than older middle models.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
_

. , .
hi stef...

ANY of the intel chip macs can be used (laptops, minis, imac, etc...)

but IF u go LAPtop look for a ""Model Identifier: MacBookPro 4,1"" or LATER machine.

"model identifier" is the most reliable way to sort out processer/graphics/screen/ram/bus speed issues.

with the serial number or model identifier, one can LOOK UP every mac built on the company website and see the components.

then max out the ram IF not already done ...

i have sold several used macs, privately person2person and to the generic REsellers...

IF you buy from an online REseller check out 'mac of all trades' they are a legit biz.

'ifixit' is also a great resource for parts/diy repairs/how2s and some used machines.

check back with me in late july or VERY early august...

i may just have a 17 inch mbp for REsale then and it will STILL have 1 year of factory/APPLECARE warranty.

of course IF u plan to write for the phone/pod/pad u really need one of those little suckers too...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Thumbs up

Apple is to Airstream as PC is to Fleetwood.... HA. No seriously though; if you have the dough to invest I would go with a 17" Macbook Pro w/ 4 GB Memory and a 3.06 GHz Intel Processor. I have had several Macs and the Macbook Pro is built to last. Upgrade the hard drive for a minimal price and you'll never regret it. The 500 GB 7200 RPM is worth its wait in gold when you go to price out external hard drives to expand your memory needs. The bigger screen is nice for editing photos and design on the go. You never know what may interest you in the future. Good Luck.
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi stef...

ANY of the intel chip macs can be used (laptops, minis, imac, etc...)

but IF u go LAPtop look for a ""Model Identifier: MacBookPro 4,1"" or LATER machine.

"model identifier" is the most reliable way to sort out processer/graphics/screen/ram/bus speed issues.

with the serial number or model identifier, one can LOOK UP every mac built on the company website and see the components.

'
Here's what 2air was talking about, from mine (you don't want one like this, it is not the newer version):

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Model Identifier: PowerBook5,4
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0
Serial Number (system): RM4390C4QHY
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000D9331BEFA
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Like SilverHoot, I switched to Macs a couple of years ago and will never go back. I have the standard size MacBook and an desktop. I looked at the bigger Macbooks, but they were just too big for my taste. Get the biggest hard drive you can especially if you will be storing video.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you didn't have to be mobile, you could get an iMac with a Terrabyte hard drive and a much larger screen (the smaller one is 21.5", vs 13.3"on the Macbook Pro). The last iMac I had was a G3 with a 3 Gb hard drive, so I can't say how good or not the new ones are. It's just an option.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Airstream : aluminum
Macbookpro : aluminum

do I really need to add anything else... you all got it. Perfect match.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
San Luis Obispo , California
Send a message via AIM to waltb Send a message via Skype™ to waltb
I'd definitely go with a MacBook Pro - be sure to the Intel chip mentioned in other posts. The new ones have gone to 5 and 7 cores (from 2) and changed to 2 graphics cards - one for low power and one for power. You might watch Apple's web store for refurbished ones, usually a good deal.

You'll love it and then need an iPad for mobility. ;-)
waltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Any one will do

Steph-

Keep in mind that you're developing for a small mobile device on a very powerful laptop/desktop. Many developers are disappointed that their apps run so well on an iPhone simulator, then slow down dramatically when ported to a real device. Thus, you don't need a monster platform for developing on that little device.

You do need to be sure that your machine is Snow Leopard compatible to run the current release (3.2.2 of XCode) or 4.0, when released.

I love my 15" MBP, but recommended the white 13" to my son. Refurbished units can be really affordable.

Plan on additional documentation and resources beyond the Stanford iTunesU course -- moving from a Windows platform is a bit more of a mind shift than most realize.

PM me if you want more details.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
I have an Imac too. Really enjoy the Macbook Pro's mobility. The Imac has had some issues with Kernel Panic and lack of ability to upgrade. If you want "big" you might consider the Mac Pro quad-core or 8-core. You will never outgrow that machine. They are extremely costly ,on my budget, which is limited. You won't go wrong with a Mac either way.
Wisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Thank you very much for all this info. I really didn't know a lot of this stuff - it's like insider information to someone coming form a PC

Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Stephanie,

I would suggest a Pro as well. Also, your education was not wasted, Unix is the mother language of all Mac's.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote