Old 05-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
there IS new stuff in the 1000$ laptop range.

but with SMALL screens for anything but the basics.

and if u have an lcd already, keyboard and mouse...

a NEW mac mini would be a great choice for less money.

not a laptop but HIGHLY mobile and can accept an assortment of nonapple peripherals...

the mini is a largely overlooked model but a great value.

lotz of options at the 800-1000$ zone.

cheers
2air'
The mini does look interesting. I happen to have a very nice monitor I could use with it, and keyboard/mouse is no problem (I assume I can get both for a reasonable price somewhere). New with a warranty would be nice, and it looks like there would be enough money left over for a iPod touch to test on.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #44
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The mini does look interesting. I happen to have a very nice monitor I could use with it, and keyboard/mouse is no problem (I assume I can get both for a reasonable price somewhere). New with a warranty would be nice, and it looks like there would be enough money left over for a iPod touch to test on.
If your HD television has the correct connector, you can use it as an oversize monitor. Any USB mouse will work with it, though it would be a good idea to get an Apple keyboard. The keyboard has an "eject" button for the CD/DVD drive. I'm using a standard USB cordless laser mouse with my Powerbook as we speak. I paid $15.99 for the mouse.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #45
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
..Since I thought it was "authorized personnel only", I hadn't even looked at DIY.
scan some of the diy upgrades listed on ifixit, and the powerbook medic sites listed earlier.

since there are so few models (relative to wintel) and only 1 maker...

tweaking macs is very well documented.

u can even buy a a FULL SET of the tiny screws for many models (like 50 little screws) should u loose one.

here is an EXCELLENT book, i used it the first time i swapped a hard drive.

Amazon.com: Big Book of Apple Hacks: Tips & Tools for Unlocking the Power of Your Apple Devices (9780596529826): Chris Seibold: Books

it's now 2 years since the last edition so it doesn't cover ALL the new stuff, but the hacks IN the book are very reliable (hardware and software)...

for example there is a "mobile" version of the mac mini INSTALLED in an automobile, hack...

guuugle 'hack your mac' and several good sites with tweaks will appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The mini does look interesting. I happen to have a very nice monitor I could use with it, and keyboard/mouse is no problem...

yep any modern keyboard/mouse WILL work, but the apple versions are exceptionally nice (wired OR wireless)...

and as terry mentions the eject key and other apple specific keys make buying 1 of theirs worth it.

the new magic mouse has a 'glass top' surface like the new track pads and has NO buttons...

but really has 2 button (left/right) functions AND the surface scrolls/pages forward/back like a track pad.

it's really a very cool mouse !

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Ossining , New York
How many are using the iPad? Feedback would be appreciated.
Jaime