Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #29
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
Don't upgrade the RAM or hard drive with Apple. They are way too expensive and replacing both these items is easy. You can buy more RAM and a larger and faster hard drive from somewhere like OWC or New Egg for a fraction of the cost.

Good luck,
Eric
Apple says this will void the warranty of their computers. That's another reason I suggested a shop that is an authorized reseller, they'll do that work for less, and without voiding the warranty.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
 
1976 25' Tradewind
Plympton , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 22
PowerBook for 3 years, then Macbook Pro - loved 'em both - both purchased from Apple refurb'd - saved a lot of $ and had NO problems - BOTH of mine were eventually stolen - one from my hotel room and one from my house! Macs hold their value and catch a high price on the street, so be sure to get some type of security...
BTW, I didn't see anybody mention the Macbook Air - any thoughts on these, since I'm in the market for a new Mac?
__________________

__________________
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #31
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,551
We are on our second Mac in 8 years, couldn't be happier, and they are the only thing my computer-genius-programmer-software-writer-ITS manager son recommends. We have a MacBook Pro, have only bought new but he has only bought refurbished and has been very happy with them.

Good luck,

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member
 
2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
PowerBook for 3 years, then Macbook Pro - loved 'em both - both purchased from Apple refurb'd - saved a lot of $ and had NO problems - BOTH of mine were eventually stolen - one from my hotel room and one from my house! Macs hold their value and catch a high price on the street, so be sure to get some type of security...
BTW, I didn't see anybody mention the Macbook Air - any thoughts on these, since I'm in the market for a new Mac?
Macbook Pro 17" for for 2 years will never go back. We are looking at a Macbook Air for the ease of carry around the house and on the road.

Ed
__________________
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member
 
damonbeals's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 473
You will happy to know under the Apple interface is a Unix machine! Yes you can get a shell prompt and go command line like in the good ole days! You can even run X Windows apps.

Damon
__________________
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #34
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,905
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
You will happy to know under the Apple interface is a Unix machine! Yes you can get a shell prompt and go command line like in the good ole days! You can even run X Windows apps.

Damon
I'm not that hardcore! Though I might try it just for fun

I have to say apple's attitude about not wanting people to do simple upgrades to their own machines has always been a problem for me. I tend to keep my machines a long time, and upgrade them as necessary. I have changed the not-user-serviceable battery on my old iPod 4 times! In fact I would probably have an iPod touch by now except I'm as cheap as a Scotsman, and I enjoy the challenge of keeping the old Pod running! The machine I'm using right now is a 8 year old Dell with all new harddrive, RAM, and processor, and I even replaced the screen on it a couple years ago. I hate to throw anything away...

I'm seeing some prices on refurb units on the apple site that are as good as used prices on CL, so it seems like that would probably be a good way to go. So are refurb units also available through official apple resellers? I'm not familiar with their distribution model.

Wish I was a student, that sounds like a pretty sweet deal.
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #35
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
...I have to say apple's attitude about not wanting people to do simple upgrades to their own machines has always been a problem for me...
this "no upgrade" reference is basically a MYTH as applied to newer macs.

for the sake of argument the warranty is 1 year.

swapping hard drives DIY does NOT void the factory warranty.

adding 3rd party ram does NOT void the factory warranty.

there isn't much else the owner can do INSIDE the case of a mbpro.

minis and imacs can be opened at tweaked, folks do these things ALL of the time.

ANY of the 3 sites recommended earlier will drive this point home CLEARLY.
_________

applecare is the extended/enhanced service/warranty and is typically 349$ for a mbpro.

it is a very nice extended coverage plan, one of the few worth buying on ANY gadget.

again owner changed parts like the ram or hard drive do NOT void applecare.
_________

my earlier reference to 'battery swapping' was related to machines that HAD a simple door/battery that was interchangeable without tools.

and one could carry 2-3 batteries to get more run time.

they've stopped making THOSE UNITS for a variety of reasons and that's a topic for endless jabber.

the newer macs HAVE that run time on just the internal battery now.

gene might LIKE is older powerPC based mac,

but the OS is macz real value and that machine won't run the newest OS or ANY of the newer applications...

they are fine for surfin' and basic stuff using OLDER applications.

but NOT for writing apps the original point of this thread.
_________

REFURBs areprimarily available from the APPLE factory stores or online.

some REsellers like microcenter, occasionally have returns or discontinued models for sale at discount.

typically THAT discount is only 2-400$

and the 'education' discount on NEW machines only, is typically 2-300$ (less than 10%, about the same as sales tax)...
_______________

you've not mentioned HOW MUCH u wanna spend that's really the deciding issue.

but i'm guessing ANY of the NEW gear is too much moola ??

500$ or less, good luck finding ANY intel based machine at that price EXCEPT the core duo (NOT core2 duo)...

600-1000$ will get u into the 4,1 models.

drives fail, screens fail, wifi cards fail, batteries HIT the cycle limit and so on...

parts cost money.

imo buying on CL is a total crap shoot, so inspect before paying and HOPE it's got applecare coverage

and that is NOT a stolen machine.

screens, motherboards, ram, drives, dvd spinners, wifi...basically ALL OF THE PARTS....

are available from 3rd party vendors and with great instructions for DIY...

but at THAT STAGE of machine age WARRANTY is clearly not an issue.
_____________

if ya want reallY CHEAP but new get a dell net book and frankenMAC it...

this is very easy to do now and one ends up with a fully functionally macOS for under 400$.

would i use one of those to write apps on? no of course not.

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
NicheVintage's Avatar
 
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 445
Images: 34
We have owned a imac for 4 and a half years now and cant be happier. We have had zero issues or problems with it. In fact my toshiba laptop finally blew up and I replaces it with a mac book pro last night. For all that you are getting they are worth the money. In my opinion mac book pro is the way to go. Good luck.
__________________
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #37
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,905
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
_______________

you've not mentioned HOW MUCH u wanna spend that's really the deciding issue.

but i'm guessing ANY of the NEW gear is too much moola ??
I'm hoping to keep it around $1000 - and it looks like there is some new/refurb gear in that price range. But that seems like a fair amount to invest to get started.
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #38
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
there IS new stuff in the 1000$ laptop range.

but with SMALL screens for anything but the basics.

and if u have an lcd already, keyboard and mouse...

a NEW mac mini would be a great choice for less money.

not a laptop but HIGHLY mobile and can accept an assortment of nonapple peripherals...

the mini is a largely overlooked model but a great value.

lotz of options at the 800-1000$ zone.

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #39
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
2air, I chatted with one of the employees at the Apple store in Rancho Cucamonga California, and he emphatically stateed opening the laptop would void the warranty. Whether he was "full of it" or not, I have to assume the people that work there know more than I do...

As for a laptop, this refurb one would probably be the minimum for what Steph wants to do:
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo


15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
250GB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVDĪR DL/DVDĪRW/CD-RW)
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Illuminated keyboard

Learn more
Close















Purchase Information $1,349.00
Ships: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I'm hoping to keep it around $1000 - and it looks like there is some new/refurb gear in that price range. But that seems like a fair amount to invest to get started.
But look at the potential ROI . If you wrote an iPad app that everyone downloaded at $.99, that could be a LOT of money. I just heard that the "experts" are revising sales to 8 million iPads this year alone.
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #41
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
...I chatted with one of the employees at the Apple store in Rancho Cucamonga California, and he emphatically stateed opening the laptop would void the warranty...
dunno bout that guy terry...

but i have opened the case on several to upgrade the hard drive while under warranty.

then had screen or wifi or fan or dvd failures that were handled under warranty.

no place in the wording of the 1 year OR 3 year warranty does it expressly suggest properly done upgrades void the warranty.

there are 3 issues...

1. break or mangle something while doing the upgrade and u won't have coverage for THAT PART.

2. the apple store and techs CANNOT do these upgrades. they can only do LIKE parts for replacement.

in fact they aren't even supposed to ANSWER the question....

3. out of bounds mods like overclocking, mismatched bus speed parts, home soldering,

tweaking the case to fit a FAT drive and so on, are likely to catch u crap.
____________

the staff IN any given store varies, so does their understanding of these issues.

i once had a battery failure n went into the local store and was initially denied replacement.

politely asked to speak with ANY other genius and the 2nd guy gave me a new battery under warranty, no problem.

another time i had 7 DEAD pixels on a 3 month old machine.

initially the tech said "this is NOT covered", but then said IF you ask me to "GET THE MANAGER" he'll likely cover this.

and that's exactly what happened, apparently it was case by case but the key was asking to speak with A manager.
_____________

some of this depends on which MODEL puter is involved, but apple posts DIY instructions for parts replacements these days...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._HardDrive.pdf

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/mac...ddrive_diy.pdf

in fact apple care will sometime ship the parts DIRECTLY to the owner for replacement.

and of course there are many forum threads on this topic...

How can I change my macbook pro hard drive and not void the warranty?

Apple - Support - Discussions - Upgrading Hard Drive / RAM in Mac Mini ...

MacBook - Swap hard drive, void warranty? - Mac-Forums.com

my current mbpro has a TOOL-less, pull/plug hd so i can swap in the time it takes to turn it OFF, then ON again...
___________

my guess is the person or store u contacted has a policy of SAYING NO but actual warranty coverage when needed is handled differently.

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #42
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
dunno bout that guy terry...

but i have opened the case on several to upgrade the hard drive while under warranty.

then had screen or wifi or fan or dvd failures that were handled under warranty.

no place in the wording of the 1 year OR 3 year warranty does it expressly suggest properly done upgrades void the warranty.

there are 3 issues...

1. break or mangle something while doing the upgrade and u won't have coverage for THAT PART.

2. the apple store and techs CANNOT do these upgrades. they can only do LIKE parts for replacement.

in fact they aren't even supposed to ANSWER the question....

3. out of bounds mods like overclocking, mismatched bus speed parts, home soldering,

tweaking the case to fit a FAT drive and so on, are likely to catch u crap.
____________

the staff IN any given store varies, so does their understanding of these issues.

i once had a battery failure n went into the local store and was initially denied replacement.

politely asked to speak with ANY other genius and the 2nd guy gave me a new battery under warranty, no problem.

another time i had 7 DEAD pixels on a 3 month old machine.

initially the tech said "this is NOT covered", but then said IF you ask me to "GET THE MANAGER" he'll likely cover this.

and that's exactly what happened, apparently it was case by case but the key was asking to speak with A manager.
_____________

some of this depends on which MODEL puter is involved, but apple posts DIY instructions for parts replacements these days...

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/ima..._HardDrive.pdf

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/mac...ddrive_diy.pdf

in fact apple care will sometime ship the parts DIRECTLY to the owner for replacement.

and of course there are many forum threads on this topic...

How can I change my macbook pro hard drive and not void the warranty?

Apple - Support - Discussions - Upgrading Hard Drive / RAM in Mac Mini ...

MacBook - Swap hard drive, void warranty? - Mac-Forums.com

my current mbpro has a TOOL-less, pull/plug hd so i can swap in the time it takes to turn it OFF, then ON again...
___________

my guess is the person or store u contacted has a policy of SAYING NO but actual warranty coverage when needed is handled differently.

cheers
2air'
That's good to know. I was looking at the bigger-factory-equipped ones, with the bigger-factory-prices, because I was going by what the person-who-is-supposed-to-know told me.
I've had the one I have now apart, but don't know how the battery-crammed-around-everything model opens up for upgrades, like the bigger hard drive and more ram. Since I thought it was "authorized personnel only", I hadn't even looked at DIY.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are You A Mac or PC? BillB44 Community Polls 175 07-08-2012 07:29 PM
Airstreamers do you use a Mac or PC? purman Airstream Lifestyle 188 10-06-2011 10:16 AM
PC or Mac Buttercup Computers, Internet & Satellite 334 06-18-2010 02:21 PM
TV on a Mac laptop mistral blue Electronics & Connectivity 44 02-07-2007 08:59 PM
MAC or PC?? This is pretty funny Jimandrod Off Topic Forum 3 02-01-2006 04:31 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.