Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Wyoming Troll with New Hatch Peepers

The Sun has shown itself today and everyone's spirits are lifted. Well, maybe most individuals, but let us not debate the small details.

I must admit Colorado and Wyoming Trolling is a preference among those with spinning a yarn or reel, as some definitions must be ignored. A six to eight foot pole is plenty of distance needed to participate and maybe a net, if necessary to pull a Peeper from the cold, fast flowing river.

Troll:
- verb: sing a full, hearty voice. Sorry, that one is out.
- noun: mythical cave dweller. Well, sometimes but not today.
- noun: to roll, turn. Use that in a sentence, because I cannot.
- noun: fish with a moving lure. Now, we are onto something.

Although Mepps Aglia Spinners work well in the Midwest for Bass Peepers, they are more likely to snag some under sized Peepers and possibly Full Time Peepers over 15 inches in many of Colorado's and Wyoming's shallow streams.

Peepers are what I refer to trout, that lay in waiting under 'cut banks' and among brush debris just below the surface. Not to be confused with Peeping Toms which are Catfish or Carp.

I always recommend anyone fishing the streams other than the North Platte, Yellowstone and Snake Rivers in the Rocky Mountain States to check with the local Fly Peeper Shop. They know the current Peeper New Hatch, and that includes the Brook Peeper, Brown Peeper and Rainbow Peeper. Buy TWO or THREE, as when the peepers are biting, they can ruin a Peeper Fly in ten minutes.

Those on the 2016 Wyoming Adventure. Be aware that there are plenty of Peepers in DuBois. When the sun rises this August while camped at DuBois... the Peepers will be hitting the surface and eager to hit your Peeper Fly Hatch tied in China or Taiwan. Although many locals tie flies in Wyoming. Mepps Spinners, probably not.

So be prepared for several days of Peeping. I have never had any luck with Mepps Spinners in these shallow rivers... but hey... not everyone can Troll as well as myself.

Are there any experienced Peepers or Peeping Toms among us? Tell us your secret to catching your limit of Peepers.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Probably caught my first trout on a Mepps back in the 60s in a small creek that drained into Lake Tahoe outside South Lake Tahoe. Now I prefer the fly rod. Hope to get back into it in a couple of years when I have more time to travel.

Kelvin

Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Pretty much my summers, mostly in the Sierra. Mostly flies, but I carry spinning gear also...my preferred approach is in a lost tube....
Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
We have some Peepermen on the Forum.

I did some Peeping along the Missouri River not far from Missoula, Montana. Nancy nor I had a Peeping license, but watched flat bottom boats casting from the center of the Missouri toward shore. There were 'very large' peepers in the clear water near shore. Too bad we did not have a way to signal to them where to find the Peepers.

I refer to these as Dory Peepermen.

Please ignore the 'peeper' if necessary to describe those scaly gilled vertebrates swimming in the water. It is easier to spell and shorter to use frequently.http://www.airforums.com/forums/imag...lies/brows.gif

The Snake River... whoa. You can drown in that River! The Columbia... ditto.

I like the Osage River in Missouri, Little Blue near Independence, Missouri and no telling what you will be reeling in. Like a Snap Turtle which give a terrific fight, but stink as well. Cut the line and give him some room. But... I am drifting down stream.

The many 'rivers' and lakes in Wyoming and Colorado require Peepermen to be Stalkers. Moving from bush to bush to get that light, just right. So you can see and the Rainbow Peepers are looking into the Sun. Polarized sunglasses are a big plus if you are Stalking Peepers in shallow water.

I know, a lot of this may sound familiar. It is all coming from the same shallow well I fish from while sleeping. Dreaming of Peepers while Stalking them... one at a time. If you are good... you may catch a couple sharing the same deep cut bank!

For Senior Peepers in Colorado... $1 per year for a Peeping License! Bought mine at WalMart last week. I am going to do all the Peeping as possible.

Wyoming... non resident. Not as generous, but check it out.

Montana... has been a long time. The best Peepers are in narrow deep streams where you need to climb over downed trees and brush. You will earn you limit. I am much less a Stalker for these smart Peepers. But it is possible to Stalk where no one else dared to go.

Spinning Peepers can really have a great time at Granite and Crystal Reservoir west of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Using a fly with five, six feet of clear leader and a clear bubble half filled with water and cast out into the reservoir. Slowing reel in and do it in spurts as the Peepers here are usually fresh from the Peeper Hatchery and will hit anything. If freshly stocked... you will catch your Peeper limit in an hour. No need to Stalk along shore for Rainbow Peepers as there are more hitting the water further into the reservoir.

It sure beats 'gigging' along the Osage River in Missouri. I watched a couple guys after CatPeepers working the banks when I was young and not as interested in Peeping. They stopped and told me and my brother not to come any closer.... Whoa. Must be something big.

It was. A woman had fallen into the Lake upstream and her body was caught in the roots and brush along the river. Curiosity did not kill this cat... although we ran to the cabin nearby and they drove into town to contact the authorities.

The Peeping Tales of a Stalking Peeperman.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Extended Family Fishing Trips... vanishing today?

Now, only fishermen will visit this Thread. Your 'fishing secrets' will be safe.

Remember the 'Red Devil' lure? I remember when I was allowed to go out on a small boat with an outboard to Troll the Flathead Lake in NW Montana. A long string of flashy spinning 'attractors', I have to call them, and a Red Devil lure. It had a single hook and was red with a white stripe wiggling down the center. The tackle box would be full of them. Different sizes.

Today with underwater radar, depth finders and fish finders it is amazing that any large Lake Trout are left in some of these natural lakes.

If I was on shore and spin casting and there was no action... that is how I could test the water. The Mepps made someone a fortune. They always became useful when nothing else seemed to work.

I had an Uncle who visited from the Netherlands. His dream... was to go fishing in America. I took him to Lake Jacomo near Lees Summit, Missouri, attached a Mepps Agila Spinner on a spinning rod... and the Blue Gill could not wait to get hooked. He was in his late 70's at the time. In Europe you had to be a 'member' of a fishing club to fish the private lakes. This lake made a European lake look like a shallow pond, without the crowd. The licenses in Europe looked more like Passports. They took these 'fishing clubs' seriously.

Having the family out on a fishing trip always was something to attend in Montana. When there were Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins... watermelons, hot dogs and anything that fit into the trunk of a car... it became fishing chaos. This was in the later 1950's.

Most of the extended family members are gone, today. Some cousins remain scattered across the US.

Just thinking of the burnt marshmellows in the fire pit on a willow stick... sort of makes my stomach churn today. When they caught on fire and you had to blow the fire out... they were ready to share.

Photographs, some Red Devils and some small boats with outboards with the small red gasoline cans... remain.

Those Forum Members who find fishing not to their standards... good. It leaves lots of elbow room for those like us. A hook caught in the back of the neck or shirt... was expected. No tears. No crying... just unhook me and turn us loose. And, sometimes we actually caught something. It may not have been much, but to us... the catch of a lifetime.

Even if it was seven feet high, hooked onto a tree branch that needed to be climbed and... removed, not to bend the hook or barb.

May all of you with families enjoy those rare events having the extended family camping. Take lots of photographs. Memories need to be refreshed every once in awhile.

And as a final closing... learning how to TIE a hook, not using a granny knot. A terrible way to loose that five pound Rainbow Trout when the hook slipped off and a good fly, gone forever...
Old 05-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Ray,
I have a long and well-engineered list of topics that I wish to learn more about before I retire in 15 or so years. How to fish is one of them.

As I have no actual personal friends to watch and learn from, aside from Just Do It, are there ways to learn? Books, websites, A River Runs Through It fast forward thru the bar and fight scenes.

Any advice appreciated.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Start CHEAP and in ten years... it makes no difference

Piggy Bank... good to find someone brave enough to get through the introduction!

There are so many garage sales in Kansas City that you can get all you need for next to nothing. Almost any spinning reel and pole will work for Lake Jacomo or the Little Blue River. As discussed... the Mepps Spinners with treble hook might cost $1.50? Talk to the guys at Walmart for a some small hardware to attach a spinner. You will catch Blue Gill faster than your can get them off the hook. For convenience, take the barb on each hook and crimp it down. That way you can remove the fish easily without much injury.

Goodwill or second hand sports shops... Just find a fly rod that when you piece the four sections together, they do not easily fall out and detach. Parts are hard to find when the pole takes itself apart and slide off the end of the line into a fast moving river... been there, done it.

Fly Fishing requires only an inexpensive reel, ask about wet and dry lines. One floats and the other... well, does not float and each go with the current. Also an inexpensive net to 'scoop' up that first catch of your fishing career.

I like to throw my line upstream my target and let it flow past where you think a trout is waiting for an easy meal. Repeat. Repeat. Do not give up, but move up stream a little at a time. Or just make it up and do it your way.

Some sport shows will have free 'fly fishing classes'. Of course they want to sell you delicate fly rods in the 6.5' to 8' lengths. Have them size you for a rod and find a used one for pennies on the dollar. As long as you can get the line in the water... you can catch something.

Do not pay to learn. Watch some fly fishermen from a distance. No worse than roping a calf with a cheap rope out of your truck window.

Nothing to it... without a hook. You are actually 'throwing the line' that is connected to the clear line and fly. After awhile, in your yard, you can 'throw' the fly pretty close to a circle you put on the driveway with chalk. You cast with a spinning outfit and toss your line with a fly rod with or without a reel.

A fancy rod is expensive and is just that...expensive, but some day you might want to check one out once you have some years of practice. I take a fly rod that is taller than I am by a half or foot. Shake it and you want it to be flexible, but firm. That will be all you need as you get practice. Just get something to beat up and the fish do not care.

I gave up fly fishing a long time ago. But this year have it all loaded in the trailer with the tackle box and flies from as long as I have fished.

Most fights in Missouri are found at Bennet Springs and North Folk Rivers southeast of Springfield, some where. The fish hatchery is worth visiting around there and you can buy fish food from gumball vending machines to feed them. Some big whoppers there... but the smaller ones are released for Trout Season. Google it on the internet. You as a beginner can only improve with time.

Learn some simple knots. Takes glasses to see, some practice, toenail clippers to trim and pull the knot snug with the hook on the clippers to hold it tight.

I will get into the routine after ten minutes. Yourself... maybe a hour. Just pull out line as you gently toss the line further away... If the line .... snaps, like a whip... you would have already snapped off whatever is tied onto the fly, or your entire hook is missing. Gentle and eventually you will post a photograph of a 15" Missouri Rainbow Trout, with fifty guys on both sides of the river full of envy!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Ray,
I have a long and well-engineered list of topics that I wish to learn more about before I retire in 15 or so years. How to fish is one of them.

As I have no actual personal friends to watch and learn from, aside from Just Do It, are there ways to learn? Books, websites, A River Runs Through It fast forward thru the bar and fight scenes.

Any advice appreciated.
If you want to learn to cast a fly, or even tie one, contact your local fly fishing shop and they'll point you in the right direction. Most fly shops have classes and they'll supply the necessary gear to let you get a feel for it before laying out a lot of money. It's one of those sports that lets you spend as much or as little as you like.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The Mepps for me too; size 0 white with a red stripe and silver blade. Ultra lite spinning rod and 4 pound mono. I usually wade upstream and cast close to bank and snags. The streams here in Iowa are about 2-3 foot deep.
mike