Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #29
7xp
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Santa Maria , California
Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Mike, being aware of the ripple effect you have on the world is not a control issue, it's a matter of exercising the human trait of conscience.
35 years ago I sold two tires to a co-worker for his girlfriends car (Honda 600). She rolled the car and her baby was killed. The tires I sold were radials and she mixed them with bias ply tires. Had I known, I would not have sold them to her. 35 years latter, it still bothers me. Let your conscience be your guide!
"Mac"

Old 11-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanywg
Being a complete novice here and needing to pick up a 26' Overlander and drive it several hundred miles back to the UK what exactly should I be looking for to tow it? See to me a Land Rover Discovery with a 3.9 V8 sounds okay but obviously from this forum it isn't. Can you please explain why?
Your Overlander has a 6200 pound gross weight, and about a 450-650 pound tongue weight. That is about three times the maximum tongue weight for most European style trailers. The rear end will squat, and the front wheels will have very little weight on them for control. You could probably get away with towing the Overlander, provided it comes with weight distribution equipment to put some weight back on the front wheels, and an electric brake controller to activate the trailer's brakes in case someone does something stupid in front of you.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #31

Currently Looking...
Lethbridge , Alberta
Range Rover for Overlander

As Remco is i Holland it is more than likely the owner of the Range Rover has no idea what a WD hitch or or brake controller are.

Most European "caravans" have surge brakes and tow ratings are usually rated at 80% of the tow vehicle's weight, taking that into consideration. Based on that, it would be overloaded with a 4550lb UVW/500lb tongue weight (dry) of a '73 Overlander.

That said, if the North American rating by Rover is 3500kg/7700lb, give the man a WD hitch with sway control and brake control and send him on his way. Short wheel base = Hensley to be sure.

BTW I towed my 28' 8500lb (wet & loaded) White Box (low profile) with a Grand Cherokee 4.7L HO and it was a doddle on 2 trips from AB to CA . I have a Hensley for the short wheelbase factor. Reserve power and no sway at all.

Still lookin'
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Remco, you've done your part to educate him. Some folks refuse to be educated. Take his money, and don't feel bad about it.

Roger
A little late to this dance, but I agree with Roger. You have done your part to educate, and we're all adults that make our own choices. I'd sell it as long as you've done the right thing and made the proper suggestions.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 AM   #33
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Once you have the money and he has the title. You are off the hook. Good price, sell it to him.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #34
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
As a fair person you gave good information to a prospective buyer, let him buy the Airstream. Do not get yourself into any legal aspects of the sale such as a disclaimer. You don't need one and it will come back and haunt you if anything does hapen. Take his money, give him a bill of sale and title and move on to your next AS. I don't remember the dealer telling me the car he sold me does 185 MPH and that others have crashed them into trees so here, sign this disclaimer!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
I don't remember the dealer telling me the car he sold me does 185 MPH and that others have crashed them into trees so here, sign this disclaimer!
Interesting way to look at it....regardless, put a big grin on my face as I read it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Made a believer out of me

Years ago when I first bought my 1963 Overalander, I would tow it without brakes and on the bumper ball hitch of a Ford F150. One rainy day coming home from deercamp I stopped at a rural intersection and the trailer pushed me right through it. I wasn't even going fast. Luckily, no other cars were in the area.

That little incident made a believer of me. Next time I towed it was with another truck. A 1991 Chevy 2500 camper special with stretch cab, long 8' bed and a proper weight distributing hitch and electrical hookup. I would now never ever tow anything without proper equipment/vehicle again.

PS, I didn't know about this forum back then. If I had known, I probably would have been educated enough not to tow this way.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #37
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Interesting way to look at it....regardless, put a big grin on my face as I read it.

Yes and you know what? There are a lot of trees here in New England!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
A blanket 'Hold Harmless' agreement is not a liability on the seller; a good one protects against everything actively or passively discovered in perpetuity along the chain of ownership. Even something as revered as a 'as-is' sale under the legal system is widely open to interpretation!

Honestly, people, this day in age you are not working on an interpersonal level 99.99% of the time anymore, so you are ACTUALLY protecting your heirs and estate with good old-fashioned sense...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1973 31' Sovereign
1987 32' Excella
Streator , Illinois
Definitly a tough call . Tell him to read the owners manual carefully . Land Rover does not recomend the use of a WD hitch . I have a Disco II and 5500 is the max plus short wheel base 98" could make things interesting .
I do pull the 65 Caravel with it but not real far .
Point to the info and let them make the call

Have a Great one Jeff #3132
Old 12-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Rover's Ratings

My buddy was an engineer at Land Rover. This might be the salvation to all this:

Rover rates their towing capacities IN LOW RANGE on the transfer box! It won't pull 3500kg in high range. It'll do it in low range though.

Thing is, in low range, maximum speed is probably about 45mph (or about 73 kilometers per hour). It'll be hard for him to kill himself going that slow

Seriously though, he'll find out soon enough when he comes to the first hill.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
One major bit of advice to all of you who sell your trailer to the next user! If they have a hitch......As a previous business owner that rented boats and personal watercraft on a daily and weekly basis!! Do not hook up the trailer to their tow vehicle under any circumstance....explain how to hook up and watch them do so, do not touch the hitch or any component, why so you may ask? if something goes wrong...a disconnect, rollover, partial disconnect that causes the trailer to become erratic....then it's your fault, you hooked it up, and you better have a witness watching.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 PM   #42
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
Well, this is a stinky little problem, but such abounds in life.

No, I wouldn't sell my trailer to a person who I absolutely thought wouldn't make it out of town without a potentially fatal accident or even my "previously-loved" trailer on its side.

Lamar
I like Lamar's thoughts. I would hate to see someone hurt, but I would also hate to see the baby I restored trashed due to some bad decision-making. Okay, that's it, I'm not selling to anyone.

dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote