Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Why would anyone want 3 campers?
So they can spend their time updating and renovating.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
No reason - simply to point out the gratuitous waste of money

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
No reason - simply to point out the gratuitous waste of money
Huh? Irony alert. :-)

Pharm, you can't have it both ways. You started this whole thread to vent about people making presumptuous statements about the way you chose to spend your money (perhaps in their eyes, your "gratuitous waste" of it to boot). Seems a bit pot/kettle here, no?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We've just finished our 11th camping season with our Bambi - during the last road trip we celebrated our 500th night in it - somewhere during next year we will celebrate 100,000 kilometres. It is starting to need a bit of maintenance but we still have no desire to trade it - no desire to trade up, no desire to trade down, no desire to trade sideways. We purchased it for the long haul - and we're still into it for the long haul.

Why I say this is that we have good friends who purchased their own new SOB the same year we bought the Bambi.

I took a few jabs on the price tag at the time.

Today those same friends are now planning to look for their 4th SOB before the next camping season.

There is no question in my mind who's "investment" continues to give the best return.

Now I'm the one giving the jabs .....

And loving it!! .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
It's been 14 months now since we pulled out of the dealers lot in Denton, TX with our first Airstream, 30 Flying Cloud. During that time we've traveled with it to New Mexico mountains 4 times, Natchez, MS, Florida, New Orleans, and numerous Texas State parks from Galveston to El Paso to the south TX coast. I'm closely guessing 20,000 miles. It still looks, feels and smells brand new. Several friends, with slightly older 5th wheels used less total time, are in need of new carpet, new plastic toilets or just a total new 5th. There is no comparison, quality is always quality, camp-ability is camp-ability, class is just class. Dealer told me that if you keep the trailer for ten years you get your money back at resale. Whether true or not, I feel we've already recovered our costs through enjoyment and we're still under warrantee.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Huh? Irony alert. :-)

Pharm, you can't have it both ways. You started this whole thread to vent about people making presumptuous statements about the way you chose to spend your money (perhaps in their eyes, your "gratuitous waste" of it to boot). Seems a bit pot/kettle here, no?
My point was, no one wants other people to tell them that their purchase was a gratuitous waste of money....perhaps my tone or intentions were unclear there? Or I am confused.

I simply am not a fan of people judging others on the basis of cost.....and my statement about "gratuitous waste of money" was not meant to be my words...it was a reference to some (very few I think statistically as far as I can tell) that have openly said that it is a "waste of money" or that "it is crazy"....

Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
We've just finished our 11th camping season with our Bambi - during the last road trip we celebrated our 500th night in it - somewhere during next year we will celebrate 100,000 kilometres. It is starting to need a bit of maintenance but we still have no desire to trade it - no desire to trade up, no desire to trade down, no desire to trade sideways. We purchased it for the long haul - and we're still into it for the long haul.

Why I say this is that we have good friends who purchased their own new SOB the same year we bought the Bambi.

I took a few jabs on the price tag at the time.

Today those same friends are now planning to look for their 4th SOB before the next camping season.

There is no question in my mind who's "investment" continues to give the best return.

Now I'm the one giving the jabs .....

And loving it!! .....

Jay
Hi, we studied hard and long before we bought our trailer and I basically said the same thing." We don't plan to ever trade up, down, or sideways."
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Define afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If someone can afford a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and a 5th wheel surely they could afford an Airstream. That just don't make no sense.
Hi, we could afford a larger and newer tow vehicle and a larger, fancier Airstream too, if we chose to make payments for the rest of our lives. But we chose to not have any payments and this played a large part of our decision of what we bought. [So we couldn't afford the other option, if we wanted to, but we didn't want it.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we hope that ours will sustain the long run...barring way down the line some desire to downsize, we think/hope we will be great for a while!!

Hearing all you fine people speak about your success gives me confidence!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I was talking about the presumption that the Airstream costs more than a fifth wheel. I think they cost about the same.
1 ton diesel truck and fifth wheel => 1/2 ton truck and Airstream.
It just ain't never occurred to me personally to want a diesel truck or a fifth wheel...
I love my trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

perhaps my tone or intentions were unclear there?
Thanks - always tough in communication, even tougher on line...your intentions are always yours, the inference drawn is always the responsibility of the reader/listener. Sometimes those two don't compute! Apologies for jumping to pot/kettle before getting your actual intention - appreciate the explanation as I was pretty slow on the uptake there!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we could afford a larger and newer tow vehicle and a larger, fancier Airstream too, if we chose to make payments for the rest of our lives. But we chose to not have any payments and this played a large part of our decision of what we bought. [So we couldn't afford the other option, if we wanted to, but we didn't want it.]
That was our thinking exactly. We could afford an older trailer for cash, or a newer trailer for payments, unless we were prepared to save up for another two to three years.

I had to make vehicle payments once and didn't care much for the experience and we wanted to go camping now, so cash for an older model it was.

Not intended to be a value judgement, as you've said elsewhere, TETO.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

That was our thinking exactly. We could afford an older trailer for cash, or a newer trailer for payments, unless we were prepared to save up for another two to three years.

I had to make vehicle payments once and didn't care much for the experience and we wanted to go camping now, so cash for an older model it was.

Not intended to be a value judgement, as you've said elsewhere, TETO.
That's seems legit and indeed non judgmental !!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #174
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Personally, I have never been too worried about what others think or say about my choice of recreation - its mine, not theirs. When you listen (or read) from that perspective it is easy to smile at anything said and take no offense. On reflection, most cost comments I have received by non-Airstreamers are based on ignorance or hearsay anyway and it is a chance to educate if they are in the mood: the common denominator is they all appreciate a icon of Americana.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #175
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maybe it's a trailer thing. No one has ever said to me about my Interstate's price tag, "Wow! For that you could have bought a Class C!"

But since an Interstate only costs about half of a Class A's price tag, gets about 4~5 times the fuel economy, and can fit into the smallest site in a campground, I've had lots of Class A owners say, "I wish I had one of those!"
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I love the look I get when I tell them I traded a vintage Harley Davidson for it invariably the next question is "dontcha miss the Harley?" Answer "nope" rode for 36 years and never figured out a way to load my wife and my daughter on the thing. As an side when I'd pull into gas stations I'd get "that's a gorgeous bike,who did the restoration work?"

With luck I'll hear the same about the Overlander.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Personally, I have never been too worried about what others think or say about my choice of recreation - its mine, not theirs. When you listen (or read) from that perspective it is easy to smile at anything said and take no offense. On reflection, most cost comments I have received by non-Airstreamers are based on ignorance or hearsay anyway and it is a chance to educate if they are in the mood: the common denominator is they all appreciate a icon of Americana.
Great points!

Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe it's a trailer thing. No one has ever said to me about my Interstate's price tag, "Wow! For that you could have bought a Class C!"

But since an Interstate only costs about half of a Class A's price tag, gets about 4~5 times the fuel economy, and can fit into the smallest site in a campground, I've had lots of Class A owners say, "I wish I had one of those!"
Speculation - but perhaps more people have a sense for what "travel trailers cost" as opposed to motor homes such as these?

Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Speculation - but perhaps more people have a sense for what "travel trailers cost" as opposed to motor homes such as these?
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/travel-trailer.html

Here's a site folks could use (I found with a simple google search - don't know anything about them...) which can do both motorhomes and trailers.

My dad was probably too old school for stuff like this, but if I asked him questions about his pay or what he spent on something, he'd say something like, "it's none of your *}]^% business."

And if I asked him a question I could have researched myself he'd say something like, "what am I - Funk & Wagnalls? Go look it up yourself!"

Perhaps modern versions of these would be:

I'm sorry, privacy agreements restrict my ability to share that information with you.

And:

Google/Bing/Yahoo! it.

Dad could be crusty, but he was effective :-)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #180
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a 5th and 6th wheel!!! I have a triple axle!

We saw many "5th" wheel and other SOBs. SOB doesn't mean "some other brand" in this case.

If I own one, it will immediately be traded for aluminum. Yeah, sad disease, but we must embrace our weaknesses to grow!!

So, thankfully I will not have to do that.

The "sob's" were always losing parts like trim and hardware. The slide outs I could sick my fingers through as I could see light between the sides and "seals". I could hear scraping and grinding and chattering as the marginal mechanisms strained to extend and retract.

Off gassing was obscene. Flooring strained under my 240 pounds. The shower flooring nearly caved. .. And I could get into the ones with sunlight hole in roof.

All the plastic plumbing handles and nozzles and fittings were, well, plastic and cheeeeep. Everyone we saw had broken parts and we were promised they would be checked out...sure.

We also checked out some classified for sale ones..wow the look bad after 4-5 years.

Ah well, in 5 years, buy two and start a third and still spend less than one AS... Then you start to see the false economy
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote