Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

Ain't nobody no where bragging about completely restoring a plastic sided SOB.

With just a little care, a single Airstream can be the only trailer you ever own.

I have met folks that are still traveling in Airstreams they purchased new in the 60s and 70s.

One of the neatest stories I ever heard was from a couple in their 70s that pulled in next to us in a 69 AS they had purchased new, raised their kids in, and are still traveling the country in. He was a retired USN Chief.

I have owned decent brands of fifth wheels. We got tired of the "bigger is better" game. We looked at Airstreams, and won't go back.

You will enjoy your trailer.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
These are heirloom trailers. When I'm gone, my kids will enjoy the Airstream. That sob we had wouldn't have held up long enough to be left to the kids. I've said it before and I will say it again- one Airstream costs less then 2-3 sob trailers, and will last longer. I need to post my list of 60+ reasons the Airstream is better and 8 or so reasons the sob is better- another thread. A used airstream sometimes doesn't cost any more than a used any brand, but is a lot better value.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Cool, shiny, retro, Americana, iconic- I don't know exactly what it is, but I am hooked on silver trailers. Possibly the reliability and good towing characteristics? I don't generally see people in campgrounds asking for a tour of a fifth wheel...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
It's really a no brainer, if your going to invest 80k + into a RV, should it be one that will last 40+ years. How many 5th wheels and SOBs do you see listed on Craigs list that are over 30 years old? Many RV parks won't even let a SOB come in if they are over a decade old.

I my area there is at least 6 AS 30+ years old listed, all still selling for half their original sales price, if not more.

Yep money well spent..
Old 07-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
I take a different approach. When people ask, and they always do, I tell them. They're eyes get big and say "oh my gosh. Are you serious? That's really expensive." They then stand there expecting me to justify my purchase to them. I just say "there's nothing like an airstream. Besides, it's only money." That usually pisses them off and they walk away thinking I'm a snob. Doesn't hurt my feelings, more beer for me!
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Im not trying to say anything bad about any other style of RV/trailer....I could have a ball in ANY trailer I am VERY sure...and im sure tons of folks have a BLAST, and heck, that is great, and I wish EVERYONE the best! Enjoy life in whatever way you can!

I think what is slightly annoying is that you put a year and a half worth of thought...going to dealers and RV shows looking at various campers etc...reading reading reading...talking about it....considering all factors...considering budget...etc etc...and you make a choice that YOU and you wife make, having considered all of the other options....and then....Then, after all that, it dilutes down to "jeez, you could have bought a fifth wheel!"

Even if I were to grant that the cost of the airstream is such that it is a highly superfluous purchase...that something else would be highly more cost effective...that still would not make it the only consideration in my own analysis...

Dont get me wrong...a few of such comments do NOT get me down at all...im just shooting the breeze on here for fun

90% of people that I have told about the purchase (I never tell them the price), they are like "man that is too cool, you are going to have a blast"...or "airstreams are the coolest"...or some version as such.....oh and my favorite is when folks knew someone growing up that had one and they always thought they were so cool...or they had an uncle that had one etc....ive heard that now a few times.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkensloth View Post
I take a different approach. When people ask, and they always do, I tell them. They're eyes get big and say "oh my gosh. Are you serious? That's really expensive." They then stand there expecting me to justify my purchase to them. I just say "there's nothing like an airstream. Besides, it's only money." That usually pisses them off and they walk away thinking I'm a snob. Doesn't hurt my feelings, more beer for me!
hahahahahahahahaha

I have been tempted to do some variant of this (ive stopped myself so far)...

And why not tack on another 50k to the price just for effect? lol

My brothers friend was like "seriously?! arent those like 200k dollars?!"

So you could make that tactic even more of a punch if you wanted

Old 07-14-2013, 11:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Warm Feelings - Share the dream

I brought mine home over the Cape May Ferry. I was sitting in the cab of the truck waiting for the start of boarding and noticed a tattooed guy with his arms pressed up against the window of my trailer. His wife was interested but looking a bit embarrassed. I jumped out and offered them a tour - which, since it's an Eddie Bauer - I started by opening the tail gate. Talk about a "moment" - the man could see his Harley tied down inside!

By the time I was through a family of 5, a couple and a single older man had joined. The family owned the Jayco in the next line... and they dreamed of owning an Airstream. I told them that the memories were what was important and they obviously had that as a work in progress. Advised them to HELP their kids with college expenses, but keep some for their first Airstream... even if it they bought it from my estate! The older man said he always thought he was too tall... then he grinned like crazy as he walked UNDER the air conditioner. Walked away saying "Lakewood NJ, eh. I go through there about once a month".

The Airstreams with the Aluminum interior always DO seem to make the biggest impression. Every hand goes up and gently caresses the ceiling, I smile, then wipe the fingerprints off after they leave.

Some people ARE happier with a big moho or fifth wheel - I nestle in their shade... or used to before I got one with solar. Hm. More adjustments - Oh the burdens of owning a new Airstream. Poor Me.

IMHO, there are two types of people - Airstreamers and those not infected yet. Now to make an Airstream Zombies movie.

Paula
Old 07-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, well before I wore out my Airstream hat; I told people that I paid $50,000.00 for the hat and the trailer was free.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, well before I wore out my Airstream hat; I told people that I paid $50,000.00 for the hat and the trailer was free.
lol, well, Ill need to come up with my own quip here soon...I cant seem to settle on one...im brewin' on it.

@paula - good points! when I would rarely see an airstream going down the road, we would try and get pics of them, wave as they went by, etc...we certainly became "infected"....once we knew we wanted "a travel trailer" based on how we liked and disliked various kinds of our travels with our kids and based on our own past....airstream was quick to be high on our list.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #25
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Almost LMAO at the "Look, there's another Jayco!" line - oh so true. So far, only my insurance carrier has asked the price paid or 'what do they cost."

Our dispersed family had a big reunion in Utah a couple of years back. One fifth wheel, two SOBs, and a Class A attended in addition to our silver tube. There was the obligatory first day tour of homes which lasted mere minutes each but ended with a thorough inspection of the Airstream that lasted at least 30 minutes with each couple. Clearly there was more than a passing interest in our unit and many comments along the line of "our next will be, always wanted one, it's really 10 years old, who gets it in the will, etc." I was a little surprised by the reaction since we all grew up caravanning around Europe in the early sixties and then in the US ever since. The other rigs just didn't evoke the same passion or level of curiosity.

Of the seven households in my generation only one has never gone the RV route, they motorcycle and use lodgings. Four days of RV tales of repair woes, best uses, hassles, driving characteristics, et al, left me convinced our choice was the best for our preferences (as well as most of theirs). I left knowing I can easily claim the award for least headaches after purchase by a wide margin.

Traveling is a continous social event for us with the Harlequin Danes and Airstream combo. We've learned anti-social folks shouldn't buy an Airstream as strangers will always stop by to ask questions wherever we stop.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.morrow View Post
Okay, Ive also been know to stop and admire the huge class A's...
On the other hand, I've met several folks in Class As who really admire my Interstate, for one or more reasons…
18mpg fuel economy;
ease of driving/parking (including being able to fit in ANY campsite in the park!);
quick setup time at the campground (I can be done setting up before they've even finished extending all the slideouts);
less expensive (but ONLY compared to a Class A).

But not one of them will ever trade down, no matter how much they admire my dinky little Interstate. Mainly because it IS dinky! How much room do you actually need in an RV, anyway? The whole point of camping is to get outdoors; the RV just provides a comfortable place to sleep for old bones no longer suited to sleeping on the ground, a bathroom that doesn't require you to dig a pit first, and a kitchen where the fire isn't extinguished by the rain. Anyhing else is just icing on the cake.

Food for thought… How much of the cachet of the Class A is due to the fact that it's called a "Class A"? If the people who decided on the RV classes had originally called them Class Fs instead, would they have ever developed into such status symbols?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I saw a big class A a few weeks ago - it had behind it a double decker trailer like with a small car on bottom and golf carts on top and some other stuff !!

I've not been able to see an interstate in person yet - they look really nifty indeed !

18mpg?!?! Nice!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #28
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am a solo ASer so my point of view is somewhat different. Really gets down to what you need and want. My intention is to ultimately tour the US and I never even considered dragging a 35' + boat around the country. I looked at all of them. The 5th wheels were huge inside and SOB's were one third the cost and half the weight but for some reason I kept coming back to the AS. My goal is to RV and camp out. I am in the midst of my first trip out and so far the AS has it all. Easy to tow and park with all the luxuries of home. Lots of very nice Class A's here in the RV park but they are buses and thats not what I need or want.