Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #169
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
we hope that ours will sustain the long run...barring way down the line some desire to downsize, we think/hope we will be great for a while!!

Hearing all you fine people speak about your success gives me confidence!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I was talking about the presumption that the Airstream costs more than a fifth wheel. I think they cost about the same.
1 ton diesel truck and fifth wheel => 1/2 ton truck and Airstream.
It just ain't never occurred to me personally to want a diesel truck or a fifth wheel...
I love my trailer.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

perhaps my tone or intentions were unclear there?
Thanks - always tough in communication, even tougher on line...your intentions are always yours, the inference drawn is always the responsibility of the reader/listener. Sometimes those two don't compute! Apologies for jumping to pot/kettle before getting your actual intention - appreciate the explanation as I was pretty slow on the uptake there!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #172
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we could afford a larger and newer tow vehicle and a larger, fancier Airstream too, if we chose to make payments for the rest of our lives. But we chose to not have any payments and this played a large part of our decision of what we bought. [So we couldn't afford the other option, if we wanted to, but we didn't want it.]
That was our thinking exactly. We could afford an older trailer for cash, or a newer trailer for payments, unless we were prepared to save up for another two to three years.

I had to make vehicle payments once and didn't care much for the experience and we wanted to go camping now, so cash for an older model it was.

Not intended to be a value judgement, as you've said elsewhere, TETO.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

That was our thinking exactly. We could afford an older trailer for cash, or a newer trailer for payments, unless we were prepared to save up for another two to three years.

I had to make vehicle payments once and didn't care much for the experience and we wanted to go camping now, so cash for an older model it was.

Not intended to be a value judgement, as you've said elsewhere, TETO.
That's seems legit and indeed non judgmental !!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #174
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Personally, I have never been too worried about what others think or say about my choice of recreation - its mine, not theirs. When you listen (or read) from that perspective it is easy to smile at anything said and take no offense. On reflection, most cost comments I have received by non-Airstreamers are based on ignorance or hearsay anyway and it is a chance to educate if they are in the mood: the common denominator is they all appreciate a icon of Americana.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #175
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Maybe it's a trailer thing. No one has ever said to me about my Interstate's price tag, "Wow! For that you could have bought a Class C!"

But since an Interstate only costs about half of a Class A's price tag, gets about 4~5 times the fuel economy, and can fit into the smallest site in a campground, I've had lots of Class A owners say, "I wish I had one of those!"
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #176
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I love the look I get when I tell them I traded a vintage Harley Davidson for it invariably the next question is "dontcha miss the Harley?" Answer "nope" rode for 36 years and never figured out a way to load my wife and my daughter on the thing. As an side when I'd pull into gas stations I'd get "that's a gorgeous bike,who did the restoration work?"

With luck I'll hear the same about the Overlander.

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Personally, I have never been too worried about what others think or say about my choice of recreation - its mine, not theirs. When you listen (or read) from that perspective it is easy to smile at anything said and take no offense. On reflection, most cost comments I have received by non-Airstreamers are based on ignorance or hearsay anyway and it is a chance to educate if they are in the mood: the common denominator is they all appreciate a icon of Americana.
Great points!

Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Maybe it's a trailer thing. No one has ever said to me about my Interstate's price tag, "Wow! For that you could have bought a Class C!"

But since an Interstate only costs about half of a Class A's price tag, gets about 4~5 times the fuel economy, and can fit into the smallest site in a campground, I've had lots of Class A owners say, "I wish I had one of those!"
Speculation - but perhaps more people have a sense for what "travel trailers cost" as opposed to motor homes such as these?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #179
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Speculation - but perhaps more people have a sense for what "travel trailers cost" as opposed to motor homes such as these?
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/travel-trailer.html

Here's a site folks could use (I found with a simple google search - don't know anything about them...) which can do both motorhomes and trailers.

My dad was probably too old school for stuff like this, but if I asked him questions about his pay or what he spent on something, he'd say something like, "it's none of your *}]^% business."

And if I asked him a question I could have researched myself he'd say something like, "what am I - Funk & Wagnalls? Go look it up yourself!"

Perhaps modern versions of these would be:

I'm sorry, privacy agreements restrict my ability to share that information with you.

And:

Google/Bing/Yahoo! it.

Dad could be crusty, but he was effective :-)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #180
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have a 5th and 6th wheel!!! I have a triple axle!

We saw many "5th" wheel and other SOBs. SOB doesn't mean "some other brand" in this case.

If I own one, it will immediately be traded for aluminum. Yeah, sad disease, but we must embrace our weaknesses to grow!!

So, thankfully I will not have to do that.

The "sob's" were always losing parts like trim and hardware. The slide outs I could sick my fingers through as I could see light between the sides and "seals". I could hear scraping and grinding and chattering as the marginal mechanisms strained to extend and retract.

Off gassing was obscene. Flooring strained under my 240 pounds. The shower flooring nearly caved. .. And I could get into the ones with sunlight hole in roof.

All the plastic plumbing handles and nozzles and fittings were, well, plastic and cheeeeep. Everyone we saw had broken parts and we were promised they would be checked out...sure.

We also checked out some classified for sale ones..wow the look bad after 4-5 years.

Ah well, in 5 years, buy two and start a third and still spend less than one AS... Then you start to see the false economy
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #181
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Maybe, but that wasn't the point. I was trying to convey that no one ever suggests that a cheaper but larger Class C would be a viable alternative to an Interstate. Sure a Class C has more room, but even the hoi polloi can tell that the difference in quality more than makes up for the reduced quantity of cubic feet.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Prot - I see! Agreed! Hope to one day get a look at one of those up close.