Old 10-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #155
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If someone can afford a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and a 5th wheel surely they could afford an Airstream. That just don't make no sense.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
We visited an AS "dealer" in Langley BC when we were shopping; I use finger quotes because they had all of one tiny Bambi in their AS stock, but probably 100 various trailers including fifth wheels.

Dealer obviously tried pushing us to a fifth wheel in his inventory, and we looked to see what we could have gotten for what an AS cost. Basically, space, and lots of it. However, a few things stood out.

• The off-gas smells in the trailers were stifling. Couldn't stand more than 10min in one. I know this gets better with time, but it was a deal killer for the missus. No such smells in the AS.
  • All the trailers were very dark inside, not nearly as light as the AS. What an AS lacks in space, it makes up for with light, which gives it a far more open and spacious feel than the floor plan would suggest.
  • The build materials had a cheaper feel to them, and most designs ands textures were stuck in the nineties. These fifth wheel guys really need better interior designers.
  • The added space seemed poorly utilized. This is where the AS shines and uses its space much more intelligently.
  • The goal seemed to be to replicate your house at limited scale. Fireplaces, massive recliners, huge big screens, enormous kitchens, even washer dryers.
In contrast, the AS seemed more about creating an inviting environment to explore and enjoy the outdoors. My wife being an architect and designer was just smitten with how well the AS used its limited footprint and its windows and light to create engagement.

When we just sat for a while in both the fifth wheel and later the larger AS, one felt serene and right and the other felt like a trailer. The space in a fifth wheel is sure nice, especially factoring in a family of four, pets, and guests. But not a place that felt just right for us.
Agree with everything here. Most of the SWBs have a few small windows. Very claustrophobic.

I have no regrets about purchasing the AS. (And it is reinforced everytime I see a SWB. During one of my recent trips, I was surrounded by over 90 of them.) Some of the 5th wheels do indeed have a very inviting living space, but they are also huge. The AS looks kinda squat beside one, but I am grateful for the manageable size.

BTW, I bought my AS from the dealer you mentioned. They have more Airstreams in stock now. I believe they have opened another dealership in the Okanagan, and carry/service Airstreams there too.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #157
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Once you have caught the Aluminitis bug it is hard to get excited about anything else. If you don't catch it, I am sure you can find something for less money. I am flirting with a 24' Leisure Van Unity.....but, alas, it is not aluminum.....we like all the thumbs up we get on the road and the people who are curious about our trailer.....polished so it looks new but it is really old...I guess you might call it psychic income....
We bought Unity TB model in August and I would encourage the people at Thor to purchase one if for no other reason than to check out the quality construction, materials and creative design aspects. Our AS will be used for setting up a single stay camp while the Unity is used for touring. Made in Canada by Menonites, this is a great RV and the only glitch so far is the electric awning motor.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Of course within the AS folks I hear cries of "with that much I could have bought 3 vintage trailers"

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #159
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
And that would be great if you had time to update/renovate.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #160
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why would anyone want 3 campers?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #161
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Why would anyone want 3 campers?
So they can spend their time updating and renovating.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #162
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
No reason - simply to point out the gratuitous waste of money

Old 10-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #163
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
No reason - simply to point out the gratuitous waste of money
Huh? Irony alert. :-)

Pharm, you can't have it both ways. You started this whole thread to vent about people making presumptuous statements about the way you chose to spend your money (perhaps in their eyes, your "gratuitous waste" of it to boot). Seems a bit pot/kettle here, no?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #164
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We've just finished our 11th camping season with our Bambi - during the last road trip we celebrated our 500th night in it - somewhere during next year we will celebrate 100,000 kilometres. It is starting to need a bit of maintenance but we still have no desire to trade it - no desire to trade up, no desire to trade down, no desire to trade sideways. We purchased it for the long haul - and we're still into it for the long haul.

Why I say this is that we have good friends who purchased their own new SOB the same year we bought the Bambi.

I took a few jabs on the price tag at the time.

Today those same friends are now planning to look for their 4th SOB before the next camping season.

There is no question in my mind who's "investment" continues to give the best return.

Now I'm the one giving the jabs .....

And loving it!! .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
It's been 14 months now since we pulled out of the dealers lot in Denton, TX with our first Airstream, 30 Flying Cloud. During that time we've traveled with it to New Mexico mountains 4 times, Natchez, MS, Florida, New Orleans, and numerous Texas State parks from Galveston to El Paso to the south TX coast. I'm closely guessing 20,000 miles. It still looks, feels and smells brand new. Several friends, with slightly older 5th wheels used less total time, are in need of new carpet, new plastic toilets or just a total new 5th. There is no comparison, quality is always quality, camp-ability is camp-ability, class is just class. Dealer told me that if you keep the trailer for ten years you get your money back at resale. Whether true or not, I feel we've already recovered our costs through enjoyment and we're still under warrantee.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #166
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Huh? Irony alert. :-)

Pharm, you can't have it both ways. You started this whole thread to vent about people making presumptuous statements about the way you chose to spend your money (perhaps in their eyes, your "gratuitous waste" of it to boot). Seems a bit pot/kettle here, no?
My point was, no one wants other people to tell them that their purchase was a gratuitous waste of money....perhaps my tone or intentions were unclear there? Or I am confused.

I simply am not a fan of people judging others on the basis of cost.....and my statement about "gratuitous waste of money" was not meant to be my words...it was a reference to some (very few I think statistically as far as I can tell) that have openly said that it is a "waste of money" or that "it is crazy"....

Old 10-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
We've just finished our 11th camping season with our Bambi - during the last road trip we celebrated our 500th night in it - somewhere during next year we will celebrate 100,000 kilometres. It is starting to need a bit of maintenance but we still have no desire to trade it - no desire to trade up, no desire to trade down, no desire to trade sideways. We purchased it for the long haul - and we're still into it for the long haul.

Why I say this is that we have good friends who purchased their own new SOB the same year we bought the Bambi.

I took a few jabs on the price tag at the time.

Today those same friends are now planning to look for their 4th SOB before the next camping season.

There is no question in my mind who's "investment" continues to give the best return.

Now I'm the one giving the jabs .....

And loving it!! .....

Jay
Hi, we studied hard and long before we bought our trailer and I basically said the same thing." We don't plan to ever trade up, down, or sideways."

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Define afford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If someone can afford a 3/4 ton diesel pickup and a 5th wheel surely they could afford an Airstream. That just don't make no sense.
Hi, we could afford a larger and newer tow vehicle and a larger, fancier Airstream too, if we chose to make payments for the rest of our lives. But we chose to not have any payments and this played a large part of our decision of what we bought. [So we couldn't afford the other option, if we wanted to, but we didn't want it.]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote