Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Winterizing 2007 Winick Bambi

I have a question on the above......I have found all the valves to drain the water lines on my trailer, but the (2) low point valves in the rear, which are located in the storage area, can't be reached with-out having a 4' arm, which I don't have...I have lowered the trailer down on the front, letting all the water that was in the lines drain there, is it really necessary that I get these valves open in the storage area, before I put the pink stuff in ????? I have a long pair of channel lock pliers that I haven't tried yet, and I have thought about sticking my grandson into the storage area and let him turn the knobs, but figured his mother might not likt that. Any suggestions ???

Thanks
Ole-red

Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
On my old Bambi, the valves were accessible through cut out holes underneath the mattress. Not much easier than squeezing into the rear hatch, but only necessary twice a year.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Ditto for my 2006 Safari 23. And even still, while winterizing this past weekend for some reason I squeezed my head and shoulders through the storage compartment door to turn the valves even after I had pulled the mattress to flip the water heater bypass valve which is accessed through an access hole just 6 inches forward of the other access hole underneath the mattress. Now, does anyone know how to reattach the little silver wire that is riveted to one side of the back storage hatch? I only put my full weight on it for a second.... honest.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red
... is it really necessary that I get these valves open in the storage area, before I put the pink stuff in ?????...
Some would argue that draining the lines and then flooding them with antifreeze is the belt and suspenders approach, and I'll admit I do both. In theory, either thoroughly draining and blowing out the lines OR pumping antifreeze completely through each faucet remembering to do the toilet, any hand sprayers and outside faucets should be adequate.

Have you looked for another access point for the drain faucets? Be careful with the pliers, some of these valves are plastic and it doesn't take much to compound the felony.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Wiinterizing Winick Bambi

First off, to attach the wire, I used a small self drilling short phillips round head screw on my 30 ft Classic....both wires were off on it.....In response to the accessing the valves...The Winich trailer, has plywood you can unsrew under the couch (which is where the bed should be ), you can access the by pass valves....the drains are further back and requires to unscrew the whole sheet of plywood.....tried this, but because of a little piece of aluminum trim against the wall they used, it didn't want to come out, so thought I would try something different.......Thanks for the help and comments, I guess you're right, if you can get antifreezer back to these valves, it should be fine......I have it stored inside a building, and used a forklift to turn it sideways across between two partition walls...So laying down and projecting my body thru the opening isn't possible, but would probably be able to get there that way......Thanks again for the replys...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Ditto for my 2006 Safari 23. And even still, while winterizing this past weekend for some reason I squeezed my head and shoulders through the storage compartment door to turn the valves even after I had pulled the mattress to flip the water heater bypass valve which is accessed through an access hole just 6 inches forward of the other access hole underneath the mattress. Now, does anyone know how to reattach the little silver wire that is riveted to one side of the back storage hatch? I only put my full weight on it for a second.... honest.
Ditto on all that, including pulling out the wire....two years in a row. I just pop riveted back on.

Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 winick bambi