Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
nds
3 Rivet Member

Question Will the rise in gas prices affect your summer plans?

I noticed a poll, asking the members, how many trips they plan to take this summer. With the rising price of gas, now $2.00 a gallon in some areas and even $3.00 in California, is this going to reduce the amount of trips you planned, prior to these prices going up?
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
We aren't able to spend alot of days on the road so the effects is minimal. Will likely continue to drive slower. I am however rethinking the new Yukon XL purchase. It would be the tow and daily car. May keep the 96 truck for towing and get a used good milage car for getting to work.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:16 AM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Gee .. we certainly picked a great time to start fulltiming.

No .. the rise in fuel prices will not change our plans one bit ... just our menus. Instead of grilled salmon ... last night we had beans and water for dinner.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I don't have a tow vehicle yet, I've been watching for deals. I think the prices on gas hogs will drop if gas prices stay high. I don't have a long drive to work, but I might hold on to my old Audi for daily driving, and buy a late model used truck for our infrequent trips.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Will the rise in gas prices affect your summer plans?

The current as well as projected fuel prices for the travel season will have less of an impact on my travel plans than my move from the Quad Cities to Southern Illinois. When I made my plans, I used $2.25/gallon when developing my budget and I am hoping that my overall average for fuel will be close to that. Fortunately, the Minuet 6.0 Metre doesn't even reduce my fuel mileage with the Suburban (except in the Rocky Mountains - - and then only by about 1 MPG over the Suburban's normal solo MPG for the same conditions). I guess that will be my one major compromise when traveling this summer - - the Minuet will be my main travel vehicle - - the Airstream will likely rest most of the Summer in its new Southern Illinois home.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not a bit

I would rather have the extra cash for other things, but I will travel as usual. Having a diesel sure helps ... I filled up at 157.9 the other day.

I figure an extra $100 for fuel on my long trip coming up and maybe $50 for my other Airstream travel this year..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I doubt that it will effect us much. We tend to stick around a 100-150 mile radius from home. So that is 10 gallons either way. Might make $10 difference in the cost of a weekend camping trip. Not really a deal breaker.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It won't effect us much at all except that I'll grumble more than usual when filling up that 80 gallon tank - OUCH!

We're headed to FL in two weeks for our yearly family vacation. Last year we took our Jeep and stayed in hotels on the way down. We also ate a restaraunts along the way. I think when it was all said and done we spent about $440 in gas, lodging and meals down and back for five of us. This year we'll be taking the 345 and I think it will costs us about $550 - $600. For that "extra" $100 - $150 we'll stop less often and shorten the trip time, and we'll eat our food when we want and we won't be driving around at 1:00 am looking for a hotel!

We have the use of our families house in FL so there is not a big gain in hotel costs once there. But If you look at all of the costs we could not fly two of there for what it will cost us to take the Airstream.

Still - this is insane. I did notice that prices dropped about 9 cents today...part of this "ratcheting" up and down I wonder?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I don't think it will curtail our travels, but it will probably change our destinations.

We went to a Corp of Engineers park in the Everglades over Memorial Day weekend. The park was clean but without much to do. Between the heat and the mosquitoes we mostly stayed inside the MH. No lie, I saw three or four of the flying bloodsuckers that were as big as a nickel. In fact, two of those mosquitoes on steroids bit me!

The campground had 50 amp electric and water, and a dump station at the exit. It was only $10 per night, which initially sounds like a good deal.

The kicker is that we spent $160 on fuel getting there and home. I think we will be willing to pay much higher campground fees to stay closer to home and maybe at parks with more activities.

With fuel prices soaring, I think we will look at more camping options nearby. If we are going to spend $180 for a weekend we should be able to find something really exciting to do. I'd rather spend the money on touring than filling the fuel tank.

We'll still get out and go, but we'll be more selective about the destinations.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
C-word

At $2.34/gal (today) we need all the conservation strategies we can think of. We have been over $2 for at least a year here in the bay area. I drive my car and motorcycle for daily use, save the truck for pulling, and don't go as far when I do go. Fortunately we have some nice camping within an hour's drive so that helps, as does that fine Airstream engineering!

I think the only possible benefit out of all the pain we feel at the pump is that as a country we are once again thinking about fuel as what it is - a limited resource which is (mostly) imported from a very unstable region of the world. And which we use at a price that goes far beyond the pump. The C-word (conservation) is a good thing which seemed to have been forgotten from the last time we had to learn this lesson the hard way in the 70's and early 80's.

john
Old 06-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't mind conserving gas, but we find it difficult to do, especially when one of our hobbies is to travel. We use our full-size van as our work truck for our business, and really it has been one of those things that we are thankful we bought every day, despite the 14mpg. It is just so handy to have to haul stuff in, and there have been times we stuffed it full - did that again today in fact. And it does a great job pulling the trailer, so we're very happy with it. I wouldn't downsize for anything.

However the Bronco, which only got 9mpg, has broken down, and now sits abandoned next to the garage. A year ago I couldn't sell it, everytime the buyer learned what kind of milage it got, they ran away screaming. Now with gas as expensive as it is, I don't think I'd have a chance of selling it even if I got it running again!

We replaced it with a Miata, which gets about 30mpg, and use that for all of our running around town where we don't need to haul things. This saves us quite a bit in gas for the short trips, and so we don't feel so bad about taking the trailer out this summer.

We figure this is our hobby, and it's what we enjoy. We might as well get out and do it. After all, next year might be even worse!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I don't know if fuel costs will affect our summer travel plans but I do know that wherever we go - we'll get there slower.
Keeping highway speeds under 60 has significantly improved fuel milage on our diesel truck. I'm learning that it's OK to ride in the right lane....... patience is hard won.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
the rise in fuel prices, was the "frosting on the cake" that put the kibash on my trip to alaska this year. i instead will make many shorter trips in the land of lincoln. my 1 ton van gets better mileage then my previous 1/2 ton van so i am already doing my part.....i fail to see how putting an extra "horse in the stable" will save money in light of the extra costs involved....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
We just completed a 9 day trip to Yellowstone. We saw unleaded from 1.989 in Montana to 2.269 here at home. With our 2002 F150 and 21 foot Sovereign we averaged 11.27 mpg. This figures to around 18 cents a mile for gas. We held speed under 60 mph. Gas is a major expense but we just got our AS and want to use it. Perhaps shorter trips?
Phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Wow. $1.98/gal and there was discussion of it putting a damper on vacation plans..

Digging up an oldie, because it's something I think we're going to be struggling with very soon... (and it was interesting to see what Scaler113 paid in 2004 for his YNP trip)

Here's the data dump (iPhone app) from our 2011 Yellowstone NP trip

That's $2,045 at around $4/gal.
If we do Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon this summer, and the predictions of $5/gal are right- we'll be somewhere north of $3,000

not. cool.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
The way we are looking at it - is, we winterized and didn't spend any money for traveling during the winter. So we will take as many trips we can get in during the milder weather months. Also since we retired our gas bill has gone down quite a bit.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If we go anywhere - I plan to attach a 'slow moving vehicle' sign (like on tractors), and they can just pass me all day long if they want...I am prepared for all those fingers.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
$3.839 and 'counting' for 87rated gasoline in Northern Calif today - our Excursion's thirsty...!

You bet, $5/gallon fuel will influence our travel plans! I can see shorter trips in our future - like to the bank for a 'fuel loan'...

Bad part is, just as the RV biz seems to be gaining some strength again, high fuel prices will surly put another damper on sales...

Also, and you heard it here first (?), there will be another 'change' in Washington if we see gasoline rise to about $5/gal this fall...
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
We are paying over $4 a gallon for super here in Southern California. I just hate paying over $100 to fill a 26 gallon tank and I'll think hard about getting something more fuel efficient for the next tow vehicle. However, $5 gas won't discourage us from traveling this summer. I think it will tick me off enough that I'll have to get away in the trailer. There are just too many areas we blow money that can be better spent traveling, no matter what the price of gas is.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you are going to go, them just go. Don't wait for gas to be cheaper. I used to say that the gas prices in California are higher than anywhere else, so where ever I go, it will cost less. Well on our trip, from July 1, 2011 to August 20, 2011, we went to Alaska. The prices in Canada and Alaska were way higher. I have a 30 gallon tank and it usually takes about 20 to 22 gallons to fill it up; I paid as high as $150.00 for a tank of Regular. My Lincoln is supposed to run Premium only, but many of the gas stations on the way, only had two types of pumps, Diesel & Regular. It was either go now and pay the prices, or possibly never go.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote