Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We're around $1.40 a litre in Northern BC... or around $6 per US Gallon...

Bring jerry cans with you from America...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
There are just too many areas we blow money that can be better spent traveling, no matter what the price of gas is.
You said it all. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think I will be doing much traveling far from home. Gas is already $3.50 a gallon and it will be over $4.00 by summer time. Maybe $5 is more likely.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We will still travel. Costs can be cut in other ways.

Drive more slowly, use the less-traveled roads and enjoy the scenery, small towns and old homes.

Use those inexpensive federal lands whenever you can. $4-$10 or so a night with the Golden Age passport, and these are much more beautiful than your average campground. Many of these have electric or water/electric hookups, showers and dump stations. We got this link right here on the forums, and it is a terrific resource!

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

Spend less, do more.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We will still travel as planned but will reduce spending in other areas. We're getting to the point in our lives that we don't need more "stuff" to clutter up the house or end up in the basement. so cutting out frivolous purchases will be easy. To me camping and meeting great people along the way is so much better than a new gadget that will only be fun for a short while.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
We will still travel. Costs can be cut in other ways.

Drive more slowly, use the less-traveled roads and enjoy the scenery, small towns and old homes.

Use those inexpensive federal lands whenever you can. $4-$10 or so a night with the Golden Age passport, and these are much more beautiful than your average campground. Many of these have electric or water/electric hookups, showers and dump stations. We got this link right here on the forums, and it is a terrific resource!

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

Spend less, do more.

Maggie
Thanks for the link! And " Spend less, Do more" is Great! I totally agree!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Cost of fuel is the lion-share of the expense- it's more than campground, food, and incidentals combined... (actually, we'll have food expense whether we're enjoying what Dearbornistan has to offer, or the great west out of our 'stream...)

Driving slower doesn't effect my mpg. There's no appreciable difference between 55mph and 65mph, and taking the secondary roads decreases mpg.

So what are the alternatives?
Drive a higher mpg 8 passenger vehicle?
Nope, lodging and meals alone would be somewhere around $7,000... and if we wanted to fly someplace out west? add in airfare and van rental forgetaboutit... I did a quick breakdown and it was somewhere around $15,000

So, are gas prices going to effect my travel plans?
I've never let somebody else dictate my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.. and I don't plan on rolling over anytime soon. We'll simply make it work.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Cost of fuel is the lion-share of the expense- it's more than campground, food, and incidentals combined... (actually, we'll have food expense whether we're enjoying what Dearbornistan has to offer, or the great west out of our 'stream...)

Driving slower doesn't effect my mpg. There's no appreciable difference between 55mph and 65mph, and taking the secondary roads decreases mpg.

So what are the alternatives?
Drive a higher mpg 8 passenger vehicle?
Nope, lodging and meals alone would be somewhere around $7,000... and if we wanted to fly someplace out west? add in airfare and van rental forgetaboutit... I did a quick breakdown and it was somewhere around $15,000

So, are gas prices going to effect my travel plans?
I've never let somebody else dictate my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.. and I don't plan on rolling over anytime soon. We'll simply make it work.
Hmmm, too bad. I thought driving more slowly always improved mpg, but then what do I know, apparently.

Fuel costs are always the greatest expense for us, too, but keeping speed down definitely improves mpg.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Joe

What a great statement. I completely agree with you. The only concession, I may make is that if the distance is real long and the time is short and I am going by myself then I may just take my car (30 mpg), bicycle and tent.

Maggie

Thanks for the link.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
My Excursion gets around 9 MPG pulling the 31 ft Excella II. It gets around 8 MPG on the ethanol crap we have in Alabama. We got to keep those farmers nice and fat on that corn.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
$3.839 and 'counting' for 87rated gasoline in Northern Calif today - our Excursion's thirsty...!

You bet, $5/gallon fuel will influence our travel plans! I can see shorter trips in our future - like to the bank for a 'fuel loan'...

Bad part is, just as the RV biz seems to be gaining some strength again, high fuel prices will surly put another damper on sales...

Also, and you heard it here first (?), there will be another 'change' in Washington if we see gasoline rise to about $5/gal this fall...
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I can remember we used to say good thing gas doesn't cost as much as a gallon of milk . Woodfox45 WBCCI 14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Hmmm, too bad. I thought driving more slowly always improved mpg, but then what do I know, apparently.

Fuel costs are always the greatest expense for us, too, but keeping speed down definitely improves mpg.

Maggie
Maggie,

I'm guessing there's some pretty big performance differences between our rigs.. I'm not saying slowing down doesn't improve mpg, all things being equal.
For whatever reason, my rig drinks the gas, hitched or un, and there's very little variation with speed.
I used to do 75 mph pulling the trailer, then realized it was probably wiser to do 65 max. The ST tires were happier, but there was no difference in mpg.
We did a lot of secondary roads, and sightseeing at 45 mph or less, and the mpg went waaaay down, because of the stop and go.

'Stream safe!
-Joe
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have worked too long/hard and too much all my life, always with the thought of holidaying at this point in my life cycle to let the cost of fuel stop me from traveling or doing what I feel like doing now. That does not mean I won't try to find the lowest price on route.
People now spend near as much on electronic gadgets and their usage bills as my annual fuel costs.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
My Excursion gets around 9 MPG pulling the 31 ft Excella II. It gets around 8 MPG on the ethanol crap we have in Alabama. We got to keep those farmers nice and fat on that corn.

Perry
I'd rather pay farmers to grow corn for ethanol than to subsidize them for not growing anything, like we used to do. Besides, adding ethanol isn't to benefit the farmers; it's to benefit the oil companies. Using my own SUV as an example, I made trip to visit my parents a couple of years ago, burning gas only one way, and gas plus ethanol the other way. Each leg of the trip was 760 miles.

Without ethanol, I got about 19 miles per gallon, for a total of 40 gallons of gasoline used. With ethanol, I got about 17 miles per gallon, for a total of 45 gallons used, of which 40½ was gaoline and the other 4½ was ethanol. Rough calculation, 10% ethanol reduced my mileage by 12%. Adding ethanol made my vehicle use MORE gasoline! Hard to say that ethanol reduces our dependency on foreign oil when looked at in those terms, don't you think?

In response to the original question of whether rising prices will affect my summer travel plans, the answer is, not really. I'm already resigned to higher prices anyway, now that I have my wonderful new Airstream Interstate with its 3-liter turbo-diesel, and which is now my preferred road-trip vehicle whether I'm going to a campsite or not.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
These were the prices in Death Valley not long ago - and we'll probably see the same throughout the country in the not-so-distant future!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DV-03.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	151197  
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
The farmers do not benefit from ethanol greedy oil co. do e85 bad mileage read stats about where our oil comes from also #1 export is gasoline just like Alaska pipe line had to have all goes overseas & does not come back {high sulfur} there is surplus of gas in us.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Seattle-Q-Seattle

I just got back from a trip to Quartzsite, AZ, roughly 3200 miles round trip. Gas averaged about $3.40/gallon, F-150 with 19' AS got about 11mpg, for a total of just under $1000 for gas. All to spend just $40 for BLM camping permit.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Today's price of gasoline is $2.993, New York Harbor RBOB. Beyond that you're paying taxes, taxes, taxes, some transportation, and a few pennies to the station owner. Oil & Gas Journal- Oil and Gas News, Prices, Oil Drilling, Exploration and Production

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Today's price of gasoline is $2.993, New York Harbor RBOB. Beyond that you're paying taxes, taxes, taxes, some transportation, and a few pennies to the station owner.
Back when my dad used to own a service station, Oklahoma state law set the maximum amount that the station could mark up prices from what they paid wholesale. We only made $0.07 per gallon. Of course, that was back in the 70's, and it's probably higher now, but the average service station makes a bigger profit margin on just about everything else they sell than they do on gasoline..
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We also start watching for a good price on diesel once we're down a quarter of a tank or so, then top it off. Amazing how prices can vary 20 cents a gallon within a few miles.

I know, I know---sometimes I sound so tight it's a wonder I don't squeak, but those small savings add up. Once upon a time, I was an extremely impoverished, young single mother. That kind of stuff never really leaves you. I can squeeze blood out of a turnip!

Maggie