Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Wow. $1.98/gal and there was discussion of it putting a damper on vacation plans..

Digging up an oldie, because it's something I think we're going to be struggling with very soon... (and it was interesting to see what Scaler113 paid in 2004 for his YNP trip)

Here's the data dump (iPhone app) from our 2011 Yellowstone NP trip

That's $2,045 at around $4/gal.
If we do Bryce, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon this summer, and the predictions of $5/gal are right- we'll be somewhere north of $3,000

not. cool.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
The way we are looking at it - is, we winterized and didn't spend any money for traveling during the winter. So we will take as many trips we can get in during the milder weather months. Also since we retired our gas bill has gone down quite a bit.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
If we go anywhere - I plan to attach a 'slow moving vehicle' sign (like on tractors), and they can just pass me all day long if they want...I am prepared for all those fingers.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
$3.839 and 'counting' for 87rated gasoline in Northern Calif today - our Excursion's thirsty...!

You bet, $5/gallon fuel will influence our travel plans! I can see shorter trips in our future - like to the bank for a 'fuel loan'...

Bad part is, just as the RV biz seems to be gaining some strength again, high fuel prices will surly put another damper on sales...

Also, and you heard it here first (?), there will be another 'change' in Washington if we see gasoline rise to about $5/gal this fall...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
We are paying over $4 a gallon for super here in Southern California. I just hate paying over $100 to fill a 26 gallon tank and I'll think hard about getting something more fuel efficient for the next tow vehicle. However, $5 gas won't discourage us from traveling this summer. I think it will tick me off enough that I'll have to get away in the trailer. There are just too many areas we blow money that can be better spent traveling, no matter what the price of gas is.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, if you are going to go, them just go. Don't wait for gas to be cheaper. I used to say that the gas prices in California are higher than anywhere else, so where ever I go, it will cost less. Well on our trip, from July 1, 2011 to August 20, 2011, we went to Alaska. The prices in Canada and Alaska were way higher. I have a 30 gallon tank and it usually takes about 20 to 22 gallons to fill it up; I paid as high as $150.00 for a tank of Regular. My Lincoln is supposed to run Premium only, but many of the gas stations on the way, only had two types of pumps, Diesel & Regular. It was either go now and pay the prices, or possibly never go.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We're around $1.40 a litre in Northern BC... or around $6 per US Gallon...

Bring jerry cans with you from America...
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
There are just too many areas we blow money that can be better spent traveling, no matter what the price of gas is.
You said it all. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think I will be doing much traveling far from home. Gas is already $3.50 a gallon and it will be over $4.00 by summer time. Maybe $5 is more likely.

Perry
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We will still travel. Costs can be cut in other ways.

Drive more slowly, use the less-traveled roads and enjoy the scenery, small towns and old homes.

Use those inexpensive federal lands whenever you can. $4-$10 or so a night with the Golden Age passport, and these are much more beautiful than your average campground. Many of these have electric or water/electric hookups, showers and dump stations. We got this link right here on the forums, and it is a terrific resource!

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

Spend less, do more.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
We will still travel as planned but will reduce spending in other areas. We're getting to the point in our lives that we don't need more "stuff" to clutter up the house or end up in the basement. so cutting out frivolous purchases will be easy. To me camping and meeting great people along the way is so much better than a new gadget that will only be fun for a short while.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie
We will still travel. Costs can be cut in other ways.

Drive more slowly, use the less-traveled roads and enjoy the scenery, small towns and old homes.

Use those inexpensive federal lands whenever you can. $4-$10 or so a night with the Golden Age passport, and these are much more beautiful than your average campground. Many of these have electric or water/electric hookups, showers and dump stations. We got this link right here on the forums, and it is a terrific resource!

ALL US AND CANADA CAMPGROUNDS: STATE PARKS NATIONAL PARKS FORESTS MORE california oregon washington new york pennsylvania more

Spend less, do more.

Maggie
Thanks for the link! And " Spend less, Do more" is Great! I totally agree!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Cost of fuel is the lion-share of the expense- it's more than campground, food, and incidentals combined... (actually, we'll have food expense whether we're enjoying what Dearbornistan has to offer, or the great west out of our 'stream...)

Driving slower doesn't effect my mpg. There's no appreciable difference between 55mph and 65mph, and taking the secondary roads decreases mpg.

So what are the alternatives?
Drive a higher mpg 8 passenger vehicle?
Nope, lodging and meals alone would be somewhere around $7,000... and if we wanted to fly someplace out west? add in airfare and van rental forgetaboutit... I did a quick breakdown and it was somewhere around $15,000

So, are gas prices going to effect my travel plans?
I've never let somebody else dictate my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.. and I don't plan on rolling over anytime soon. We'll simply make it work.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Cost of fuel is the lion-share of the expense- it's more than campground, food, and incidentals combined... (actually, we'll have food expense whether we're enjoying what Dearbornistan has to offer, or the great west out of our 'stream...)

Driving slower doesn't effect my mpg. There's no appreciable difference between 55mph and 65mph, and taking the secondary roads decreases mpg.

So what are the alternatives?
Drive a higher mpg 8 passenger vehicle?
Nope, lodging and meals alone would be somewhere around $7,000... and if we wanted to fly someplace out west? add in airfare and van rental forgetaboutit... I did a quick breakdown and it was somewhere around $15,000

So, are gas prices going to effect my travel plans?
I've never let somebody else dictate my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.. and I don't plan on rolling over anytime soon. We'll simply make it work.
Hmmm, too bad. I thought driving more slowly always improved mpg, but then what do I know, apparently.

Fuel costs are always the greatest expense for us, too, but keeping speed down definitely improves mpg.

Maggie