Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
Will it fit in my driveway?

Hi All! I'm starting my adventure of finding a vintage airstream to enjoy with my family. I'm looking at 23-27ft vintage models and the occasional 30ft sovereign but I'm a little concerned that I might have trouble getting the mid to longer sized ones up and parked in my driveway. Do any of you have a sense from the attached photo if I'll be able to get a 26ft or longer trailer up and into this driveway?

Click image for larger version

Name:	driveway.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	284126

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
As long as you have checked the driveway length, I wouldn't think there would be any issue - presume it is the slope you are concerned about?

But if you are planning to keep it there, I would check local bylaws to ensure that is not a problem for an RV. I know that where we live I could only keep ours in the drive during summer months due to city regs. For me it is academic anyway as we have sidewalks and our trailer would encroach on the sidewalk - not permitted.

I previously had discussions with one of our bylaw officers regarding the summer only parking issue when we were considering buying a Class B van conversion and if we did so I would want to keep it year round. He confided to me that they would only enforce that bylaw if someone complained.

I wouldn't want to take a chance on that though!

I also asked if they consider a van conversion an RV when administering the regulations. He said if there is any debate, then they check the registration and to see if it is registered as an RV or a Van.

I called Roadtrek whose factory is about an hour from where we live - they told me that their units are registered as vans.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That driveway doesn't look to bad.

On some of the models there will be skidplates on the bottom rear end that might touch as it backs in.

If it's close you can put on a drop hitch (that lowers the ball and raises the rear end up) and that might just be enough to clear the rise in elevation.

How long is the actual driveway?
What is your grade rise from start to finish?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
The driveway is 35ft long so the length is fine. I'll have to do some measurements to figure out the actual slope / grade of the driveway.

I live in a small rural town with almost non existent bylaws - so that won't be an issue though I did ask. A couple blocks away there are several 40ft 5th wheel monsters parked on driveways and beside garages.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Tight fit

Slope looks similar to my driveway. I have had no issues backing in my 67 Overlander in terms of ground clearance. Getting through my garage door is a different issue entirely...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage Door Clearance.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	284127  
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I think it will fit, no problem. As others suggested, check with local zoning to see if RV parking in the driveway is permitted.

I don't know where your property line is in relation to those pine trees, but if it is possible to back in and park the trailer beside the house, that would be pretty sweet so you won't block one bay of your garage. Pour a gravel strip or pave it is you want. If your electrical panel is in your garage it will be super easy to get a 30 amp shore power connection installed.

Again local zoning comes into play because even if the trailer could fit there, usually it must be so far from your property line.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that your driveway looks fine for what your are considering. the slope does not look like it is steep enough to cause a drag problem.

The 35' driveway length will work, but keep in mind that when the tow vehicle is connected, you may stick out into the street far enough to significantly block the road. This will require that you quickly unhook upon arrival home. When you are departing you will not be able to hook-up until you are ready to pull away.

If you have sufficient room next to the garage, it would be more desirable to extend the driveway, and put your trailer there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Caronport , Saskatchewan
Hi all. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts.

I finally got around to measuring the driveway again. 37ft long and it rises 2.5ft from bottom to top. That's a 6.75% slope if I did my math right.

I do have a gravel pad beside the house. It's about 9ft wide for half the depth and it narrows to 8 ft for the rest of the depth.

If I end up with a 50's or early 60's airstream which is my hope then yes I would tuck it in and park it on the pad come winter. I don't think I'd be able to get anything newer down that narrow space.

Glad to know that I should be ok getting in the driveway though.

I won't have any town bylaw issues at all. My neighbor is great and the town really doesn't care a whole lot.