Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Wide body 34' questions!

We started Airstreaming 2 yrs ago and enjoy it move than we ever imagined. We have a very nice 87 34' with twin beds. We have decided that we would prefer a queen bed and will probably look for a wide body with a queen bed. Are there any model years, or other advice we should be aware of as we begin our search? What is the concensus on a slide?
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
The slide is a gimmic. It will add $WEIGHT$ and hardly any real value. The classic (not classic model) floor plan is hard to improve on.

My 2000 34' Excella is as nice as any I have seen. I did not have to pay the premium for a classic, but the floorplan is identical. No major problems, just the usual MTX that needs to be done no matter what you own. In fact I would not go much newer. The build quality of mine vs. what I see new down at Oasis is clear. The older units were better made. 2000 is a Thor product but maybe the cost cutting had not come into full force yet.

There are more gadgets and electronics, but basic structural integrity has not changed. Go older as the prices are better and not much to be gained from the newer. True there are some camping fiends on this forum, but in general, most TTs are lightly used.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I was told by a friend that has a slide that you must be perfectly level to extend the slide and still has had problems with it rolling up the carpeting and tearing it because the opening is off and not because of regular adjustment requirements.

Having a newer model I agree entirely that the quality of the older units is much much better than the quality of the newer models. You can just "see" it when you go from unit to unit. Cutting production costs seems to be a very high mandate of Thor's in recent years. See the materials used and the fit and finish and corroison issues, you will see why this advice has been given. Cut backs and quality control have been big issues on the Quality Control threads, do a search and read them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
I have the slide, and I enjoy it very much. You need to see one to get an idea of the extra room it provides - you're considering a wide body for an extra 1/2 inch. Perfectly level, IMO, can't be achieved in any RV park, but it does need to be level side to side and front to rear. A lot of the newer units have corrosion problems - there's a very long thread on this issue. On the other hand, a lot of older units have clear coat problems. But there are units that don't have corrosion problems, and mine is one of them. My carpet hasn't been damaged by the slide, and the trailer has never had a leak. My trailer may be the exception to the rule, but I don't think so. The only problem I've had with the slide was self inflicted.

The added weight doesn't affect it's towability as long as you have the right TV. If you already have a 34', I presume you also have a 3/4 ton TV. You're set to tow any Airstream TT on the market. My mileage hasn't decreased since I bought the 34' from when I had my 31'.

Go to a dealer and check out a unit with a slide. What ever you decide on you'll enjoy it because it's an Airstream.

______Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Have you considered modifying your 34 footer to a queen setup? Might cost less in terms of selling the current one and hunting for another good unit with a queen. If that's the only shortcoming of your unit now, and it's a unit that is in great shape, consider modifying it. If you don't want to do it yourself, contact Chris Burch at the factory...I think his email is cburch@airstream.com and see what he thinks it might cost for the factory to modify it.

Though I am not a slide person, I would repectfully disagree that they don't hold value better. JCanavera and I bought our Airstreams within 3-4 months apart. The slide has kept it's value better than my non-slide.

That said, it is true that it adds significant weight to the RV, but it does, when fully exteneded, make the interior look like a full size room. I was amazed at how much space JCanavera had when I first saw his unit. I too thought slides were just fads.

I am still not about to run out and buy a slide, but I would not be quick to discount them either, even if I never plan on getting one myself.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
We had the same thoughts you did during the use of our 79 31' Excella with the twin gauchos (fore & aft).
Now have a gently experienced '00 with a rear queen and are very happy with it, plenty of room.
I've not ever been in a slide out AS so I couldn't comment on that.
Cost aside, swapping units will update everything else too, all appliances and decor and the wide body adds noticeable room, otherwise the Queen conversion seems to have merit, especally if you could find a salvage unit to pull parts from.
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Queen bed modification

Thanks, Silver for the suggestion. I've emailed the guy at Airstream. I asked Steve at P and S and the dimensions he gave me for the bed vs the size of the bedroom in my unit, allowed almost no room to walk around. Plus my storage is on the sides and we would want the head of the bed to be at the rear, which would involved cutting a door at the rear to enter the storage under the bed. A friend just bought a 97 34' widebody, and there is ample room to walk around with the queen in his unit plus nice cabinets on the side and above.
WBCCI #4358
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
Thanks, Silver for the suggestion. I've emailed the guy at Airstream. I asked Steve at P and S and the dimensions he gave me for the bed vs the size of the bedroom in my unit, allowed almost no room to walk around. Plus my storage is on the sides and we would want the head of the bed to be at the rear, which would involved cutting a door at the rear to enter the storage under the bed. A friend just bought a 97 34' widebody, and there is ample room to walk around with the queen in his unit plus nice cabinets on the side and above.

Great point...I had forgotten yours was not a widebody.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My '83 34" Excella had the "queen" bed mounted sidewinder with the head against the streetside wall. There is just enough room for me to ease my way around to the back if I am barefoot (size 12½). Since the "queen" is not any longer than a full and I am single, I replaced it with a good home full size mattress and box spring set.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
98 34' Classic vs Limited

We are considering trading our 87 34' Excella for a 98 34 Excella Classic. What are the differences or upgrades from the Classic to the Limited. My wife noticed for instance, that the cabinet doors were not as nice and solid as our 87 or a friend's 97 Limited. I noticed also that he has electric jacks. What are the other basic differences?
WBCCI #4358
Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
we have a 1998 34' classic limited which we love. the only 1997 i have been in is a friend's 1997 norman rockwell edition and there is very little difference between the two - cabinets are similar great quality. Maybe the one you saw had seen a lot of use? i recently put some pics in my photo gallery, there is one of the interior. Sorry i can't answer in more detail about the differences - just learning myself! good luck in your search!
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
oops maybe i don't even know what my trailer is called - it's just a limited not a classic limited?
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
classis vs limited/slide vs no slide

In 98-2000 range, what are the basic differences between a classi and a limited in the 34'
Also, I've seen pros and cons on slides. The extra space seems nice and I have the TV for the extra weight, so I'm mainly concerned with functionality.
WBCCI #4358
Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstart
oops maybe i don't even know what my trailer is called - it's just a limited not a classic limited?
Nope, you're still a 'classic' though 'limited!'

You know, it really does my heart proud to see active 34-footer threads!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Isn't there a classic and a classic limited?

Quote:
In 98-2000 range, what are the basic differences between a classi and a limited in the 34'
Also, I've seen pros and cons on slides. The extra space seems nice and I have the TV for the extra weight, so I'm mainly concerned with functionality.
I'm looking at a 98 34' which is an Excella Classic. There is also a Limited I believe. Is it called the Classic Limited and what are the basic differences?
WBCCI #4358
Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake315
Nope, you're still a 'classic' though 'limited!'

You know, it really does my heart proud to see active 34-footer threads!
Agreed!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Quote:
I'm looking at a 98 34' which is an Excella Classic. There is also a Limited I believe. Is it called the Classic Limited and what are the basic differences?
ok i will get you started with 2 things i believe are the case for the 1998
1)the dinette seats of the Ltd have a board or some kind of extra padding supposed to make it more comfortable
2)awnings all around are standard whereas on the non-ltd it is an upgrade

i think a lot will depend on what the original owner ordered up. our friends have a non-ltd with more bells and whistles than our ltd e.g. 2 fantastic fans (we only have one), all hardwood, tankless water heater etc. That is why buying/searching for an airstream is so much fun.

i hope i am not leading you astray with this info and showing my ignorance once again. i am interested in knowing what the others differences are too!

p.s. i love our 34 footer!!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
We are considering trading our 87 34' Excella for a 98 34 Excella Classic. What are the differences or upgrades from the Classic to the Limited. My wife noticed for instance, that the cabinet doors were not as nice and solid as our 87 or a friend's 97 Limited. I noticed also that he has electric jacks. What are the other basic differences?

I have read that when considering a travel trailer to accord no value to the electric jacks. No experience with them, the context of the comment was along the lines that they required repair and that it was often expensive.

You might consider doing some customizing. Other than the twin beds, is there something wrong with the unit you have? If everything is functional then I would be reluctant to take on the sale, purchase, and refit of another used unit. Just like buying a used car, most are going to need a good watering of $$$ to get them road worthy to a standard where you are not going to have to worry if the wheels (appliances, etc...) are going to fall off on your next long trip. Perhaps that cash could be spent installing a custom bed offset to one side like the new side sleepers. A cabinet guy could redo you back cabinets to maintain storage. Something to think about.

Customized older units and older units that have been well cared for sure seem to have a class all their own.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Limestone , Pennsylvania
After owning more than a 1/2 dozen Airstreams that were pre-widebody, I purchased a new 34' in 1996. Airstream had just begun to reduce the number of rivets in them and it was a disaster. The frame flexed so badly that cabinets, etc. all began to come down and buck rivet heads visible outside were sheard off. Airstream added 500 additional rivets which helped but I sold it in disgust when the plastic ceiling began to fall in at age 3 years.

I returned to a 1988 34' and eventually found a pristine '93 34' limited which was the last year of the "old" construction standards. I intend to keep this one forever as I lost faith in Airstream's ability (read Thor's) to continue producing an exceptional product. Owners of the newest may report fewer problems but I would urge you to avoid the mid to late 90's in the 34' model.

A few years ago at a rally I watched 3 Airstreams with slides get delivered for the display. Of the three one slide stuck out about 2". Another was fully retracted but had about 1/8" tolerance on one side and maybe 3/4" on the other. The third was OK. From what I've seen and heard I would not gamble on a slide.
DJP4702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Wide body 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebair
We had the same thoughts you did during the use of our 79 31' Excella with the twin gauchos (fore & aft).
Now have a gently experienced '00 with a rear queen and are very happy with it, plenty of room.
I've not ever been in a slide out AS so I couldn't comment on that.
Cost aside, swapping units will update everything else too, all appliances and decor and the wide body adds noticeable room, otherwise the Queen conversion seems to have merit, especally if you could find a salvage unit to pull parts from.
I agree with your assesment and I'm in the process of trading for a 98 34' that has been owned and very well maintained by someone in our area. Out of Doors Mart is going through the entire unit to ensure everything is in good order. In addtion to the queen bed, more space and some other upgrades, it also has solar which is something I would have added had I kept my 87. I'm not interested in a generator. When I consider the things I wanted to do to continue upgrading the 87, I am able to trade without a great deal more money that I had planned to spend on upgrades. As a bonus, this unit comes with a Hensley hitch.
WBCCI #4358