Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #1

1985 34' Excella
Campbellcroft , Ontario
Why so many 25' for sale?

I am a new member and am still learning to navigate the site. I'm not sure what forum to post my question under, perhaps you can suggest another forum if this is not the best one. My question is - Ive noticed in viewing the classified ads there appear to be a disproportionate number of 25' trailers for sale. I've been thinking of selling my 34' Excella and replacing it with a 25' - 28' model and am wondering if there is some dissatisfaction with the smaller trailers or are there just more purchased and therefore more eventually sold.

I am very impressed with this site and am looking forward to viewing it on a regular basis.
McAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When I was looking for my 25 foot trailer, I kept saying why are there so many 31 footers for sale.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I guess that there's a lot of 25s out there because they have become so popular in recent years that they have made more of them.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
When I was looking for my 25 foot trailer, I kept saying why are there so many 31 footers for sale.
Heh, completely agree. I'm looking for a 26'/27' Overlander, and I'm wondering why there are so many 30'/31' out there on the market!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Mine is a 22 footer and just the right size. The weight difference from a larger one is desireable to me, especially with the gas prices the way they are. I give up the luxury of a bedroom, but it's easy enough to lay the gaucho down and go to bed.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Hi:

I completely agree! And our Forums Classifieds here are a prime example. We are looking for a 28-30' and it seems there is an over-abundance of 25' models available, followed closely by 34', but very few in the length we are searching.
utee94 I'll be looking for you a 26-27' Overlander and a 25-28' for you McAirstream if you'll be watching for me a 28-30' late model Classic. I'll let you know if I find something.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimarq
Hi:

I completely agree! And our Forums Classifieds here are a prime example. We are looking for a 28-30' and it seems there is an over-abundance of 25' models available, followed closely by 34', but very few in the length we are searching.
utee94 I'll be looking for you a 26-27' Overlander and a 25-28' for you McAirstream if you'll be watching for me a 28-30' late model Classic. I'll let you know if I find something.
Sounds good Jimmy, those of us who are "Currently Looking" have to help each other out!

-Marcus
Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I did a Phoenix craigslist search the other day and was stunned by the number of Airstreams that came up. It was probably just 6 to 8, but when I was looking for mine a little over a year ago there were almost none out there. This is a bit off topic as I wasn't paying too close attention to the lengths.
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
When I found my 25' Excella, I had been looking for over a year with almost no luck even finding a listing for one! I think it is just the ebb and flow of the market!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
That was my experiencea well. Even now, there seems to be a good number of 31 footers coming up for sale up here.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The 25s have aptly been described as the biggest little AS and the littlest big AS. As such, although I have no data, I would not be surprised if there were just more of them around.

It is my impression, again no data, that on a "vintage" coach you can get a better deal on bigger coaches because of the gas $ scare. I've informally researched this a bit and found there is not as much of a difference in mpg in pulling different length ASs as people might think. I think it is also true that vintage small ASs generally fetch higher $.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by McAirstream
I am a new member and am still learning to navigate the site. I'm not sure what forum to post my question under, perhaps you can suggest another forum if this is not the best one. My question is - Ive noticed in viewing the classified ads there appear to be a disproportionate number of 25' trailers for sale. I've been thinking of selling my 34' Excella and replacing it with a 25' - 28' model and am wondering if there is some dissatisfaction with the smaller trailers or are there just more purchased and therefore more eventually sold.

I am very impressed with this site and am looking forward to viewing it on a regular basis.
Probably because A/S makes so many of them. Try finding a 20 footer...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The 25' foot is the start of the wide body units if they are newer.

By the numbers I think the 25ers are one of the most produced, if not the most produced size. The 34's I believe are the least produced.

The 19' is also a highly built unit.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
BREA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman
Mine is a 22 footer and just the right size. The weight difference from a larger one is desireable to me, especially with the gas prices the way they are. I give up the luxury of a bedroom, but it's easy enough to lay the gaucho down and go to bed.
i agree, its a great size.
Not too big, not too small.
tows nice, and more then enough room.
mine is a 24' and cant imagine changing sizes.
my parents sold there 28 footer after seeing mine saying they felt theres was just too big.
good luck in your search and make sure to post pics!
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Last fall we sold our 30 foot SOB for our current 25SS Safari. Ideally I would have liked something in the 27-28 foot range for the larger bed size, but there's not many available used in that range outfitted the way we wanted.

There are the new FB units in the 25-27 foot range but we couldn't afford new. Our local dealer has scads of used 30 footers on the lot. Seems to me the current trend in the Airstream market is 25-27' -- exactly the size you're looking at.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I was looking for a shorter trailer than the 1977 31' rear bathroom I had. It seemed that the used trailers with a rear bedroom/side bath started with the 25' length and the model 1985 model year. The 1986 rear corner/side bath was just right for me.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:11 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
all you guys (and gales, sorry) "looking"... There sure are a lot of you "looking" I believe one does not "look", I believe they find you. I believe serendipity has to come into play. Kharma baby...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
all you guys (and gales, sorry) "looking"... There sure are a lot of you "looking" I believe one does not "look", I believe they find you. I believe serendipity has to come into play. Kharma baby...
This was very true in my case. After months of looking and looking and one very frustrating 1800 mile trip, I get a PM from a member who tells me that he is going to sell his TW in a few months, am I interested? The rest is history.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Several issues here:

seems like 25' has been popular for some years, so there are a goodly number on the used market (at least until I started to look - then whooosh! they all disappeared and I wound up with at 23', which fits me just fine);

there are many sites where longer than 25' poses big-time logistical problems, e.g. backing into sites, storing trailer and tv on the site, etc, and if I understand correclty, there are some campgrounds (maybe US Forest Service or BLM?) that won't allow greater than 25 footers;

as the "boomer" group ages, there are more and more couples-only on the road, and 25' is a pretty good compromise size for one or two, getting a little "close" with a passel of kids, in-laws, friends, etc.;

perhaps a bit easier to tow and store than longer units;

I "think" that there are more 'Streamers than in recent years who are wanting to TRAVEL and not just to go somewhere and SIT. And while undoubtedly a bigger coach is better when stationary, smaller has some undeniable advantages when on the move a lot;

one of the bigger issues to me - I intend to boondock quite a bit - is that the newer smaller units (including 25s) have substantially smaller fresh water and black water tanks.

Sorry about all the blather, but I too have noticed this "trend." Bet if you could get a look at the books at Jackson Center, they'd reveal that 25 footers are far and away the best sellers over the past several years.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
This was very true in my case. After months of looking and looking and one very frustrating 1800 mile trip, I get a PM from a member who tells me that he is going to sell his TW in a few months, am I interested? The rest is history.
After all of my searching, I totally believe that this is what will happen for me as well.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that Frank is going to finish up Anna and get her in perfect shape, then become bored and want another project. At that point he will sell Anna to me at a terrific price, and I will gladly help him find his next one...