Old 05-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
I think it is neither fish nor fowl. Perfect camper for two. Add one child and a 27 plus looks pretty good. Going solo, well maybe a 20' Safari SE. I really like my 25-footer a lot. However, if I was going to full-time I would look hard at a 34' or even a fifth wheel.

silver ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I believe that there are numerous factors that distort the conclusions that might be drawn from the lengths of trailers presently for sale. IMHO, one of the most significant is that the owners of the less-prevalent units are simply not interested in selling - whereas the more prevalent units might represent a degree of owner disatifaction or specific problems with a given unit. Understandably, the 34's do require a significant tow vehicle and many are owned by older Airstreamers who are hanging up their keys. Also along that line, note that not many of the 34's represent late model years - unlike the more numerous models of recent vintage.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thumbs up moved up in length

I agree Cracker,I went from a 19' to a 29' , it all matters about what is your needs .The differences in gas mileage for me pulling a 19' as opposed to a 29' was 2 miles /gal.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
We upgraded from an '85 25' to a '94 28'. It sure felt like we gained far more than 3 feet of interior length. The 25' was nice, but a little constricting. The 28' is much better for us, but then a 30' with dinette looks good too. I can't see going to 34' unless we ever decided to full time.

As for the fuel economy difference, I would say that the three extra feet in length, extra 1000 lbs., and squarer shape of the '94 28' as compared to the '85 25' cost us only about 0.2mpg here in the Midwest. The fuel economy difference might be more pronounced in the mountains, but we have never towed there, so I can't confirm it.

BTW, when we toured the Airstream factory a couple of years ago, they said the current biggest sellers are the 19' and 25' models and in the the '80's it was the 34's and in the 70's the 31's. If I were to guess for the 50's and 60's it would have been the 22's and 26's.
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
Last fall we sold our 30 foot SOB for our current 25SS Safari. Ideally I would have liked something in the 27-28 foot range for the larger bed size, but there's not many available used in that range outfitted the way we wanted.

There are the new FB units in the 25-27 foot range but we couldn't afford new. Our local dealer has scads of used 30 footers on the lot. Seems to me the current trend in the Airstream market is 25-27' -- exactly the size you're looking at.
If you wanted a larger bed size, maybe the 25' with the double twins up front and the back full-width couch might have worked better for you. That version has the largest square surface for sleeping. The queens don't give each of two people as much room as the twins.

Of course, this is all out the window if you really do need to SS (Sleep Six)!

Aage is offline   Reply With Quote