Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #29
Coolman

Currently Looking...
Roseburg , Oregon
Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions. It just so happens we know a couple that has an older Airstream that has been sitting in their yard, I will approach them on possibly buying it then making it our own. Thank you all again. Tom

Old 10-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #30
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I hAve 19' Bambi that will be 10 years next year. I cant imagine any sob looking and working as well as my bambi that is same age. I love my aluminum inside, my table, corner bed, everything about the trailer. We use about 160 nights a year, and love every moment. We range from full hookups to up to six nights boondocking, all with no issues.

2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bought 1999 34' Excella. We are the THIRD "caretakers"... Yes.. Not owners...

I Have done many "overlooked" maintenance items, put in engineered flooring, upgrade to 50 AMP AND AC #2 in bedroom. We have camped from 110 to 25 degrees.

Yes, it is different than SOB. But I have fixed it all myself with assistance from folks here and my own ideas.

Yes, it leaks... So did my Harley when it had a bad seal... So what? Fabric wears out... We had it recovered!!! The TV antenna failed.. I fixed it!!!

Things break... But I fix them. It is NOT the same trailer as when we bought it. In most ways better... Other ways.. Well, we figure it is what it is, or I figure it out.

Last weekend we looked at some new SOBS... I have less $ in my AS after all the repairs and upgrades by 20% or more! The SOBs were so TALL!!! If I ever have a restriction, I will have to sell that RV... The AS is still low enough most any of our elderly friends can get inside the AS.

Perfect? No. Would I have a "new" one? No. For personal taste reasons in style and they don't make 34' anymore.

I will be replacing the 3 axles soon. Part of "maintenance"... Just something to factor.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Prospect Heights , Illinois
I love this thread. Makes me want two things.

1. An Airstream
2. To know what sob means.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why should I buy an Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Bought 1999 34' Excella. We are the THIRD "caretakers"... Yes.. Not owners...

I Have done many "overlooked" maintenance items, put in engineered flooring, upgrade to 50 AMP AND AC #2 in bedroom. We have camped from 110 to 25 degrees.

Yes, it is different than SOB. But I have fixed it all myself with assistance from folks here and my own ideas.

Yes, it leaks... So did my Harley when it had a bad seal... So what? Fabric wears out... We had it recovered!!! The TV antenna failed.. I fixed it!!!

Things break... But I fix them. It is NOT the same trailer as when we bought it. In most ways better... Other ways.. Well, we figure it is what it is, or I figure it out.

Last weekend we looked at some new SOBS... I have less $ in my AS after all the repairs and upgrades by 20% or more! The SOBs were so TALL!!! If I ever have a restriction, I will have to sell that RV... The AS is still low enough most any of our elderly friends can get inside the AS.

Perfect? No. Would I have a "new" one? No. For personal taste reasons in style and they don't make 34' anymore.

I will be replacing the 3 axles soon. Part of "maintenance"... Just something to factor.

Love it Channing!

You covered all of the bases regarding the joys of owning an older Airstream in that post. I have truly enjoyed making our trailer ours, shortcomings and mistakes included!

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Rktect1

2. SOB refers to some other brand.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #35
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Sounds like fun! If you like the look of it, you may want to reach out to a local Airforums member who can help you inspect it so you have a better idea of it's true condition and what it needs most / first.

Depending on its age and condition, you may also want to get a line on a good firm within reasonable distance that can do a great job renovating / restoring it to help make it yours....unless you are handy and wish to take on that project yourselves.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcool View Post
Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions. It just so happens we know a couple that has an older Airstream that has been sitting in their yard, I will approach them on possibly buying it then making it our own. Thank you all again. Tom

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Sounds like fun! If you like the look of it, you may want to reach out to a local Airforums member who can help you inspect it so you have a better idea of it's true condition and what it needs most / first.

Depending on its age and condition, you may also want to get a line on a good firm within reasonable distance that can do a great job renovating / restoring it to help make it yours....unless you are handy and wish to take on that project yourselves.

Best of luck!
And... remember... you are the 'caretakers'.... hopefully someone else will enjoy your AS "down the road"... because, the AS will probably outlive you... you probably won't have that 'issue' with an SOB..
Old 10-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sorry but I do not get the whole care takers thing. It is mine, I bought and paid for it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #38
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Pretty sure CWF was simply emphasizing the potential for any properly cared for Airstream to have a surprisingly long useful life.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Sorry but I do not get the whole care takers thing. It is mine, I bought and paid for it.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Howdy, Chief!
Certainly I support and understand your position!

My Dad has the attitude... he buys a new car after the second oil change.. never buys 'new' sets of tires, always buys new boats for each new fishing season... doesn't understand the RV thing... says.. "I use a motel room and leave my krap for someone else to deal with.." etc...and he's spending everything he can.. always has...

My 'perspective' of 'caretaker', I suppose as it appears to me, anyway, I won't be around forever... just trying to leave the place.. and if possible, THINGs... a little better....