Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2015, 03:16 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Went down the road most folks here have, when we had our MH, had to maintain both mechanicals in the towed vehicle and the MH plus the RV components. Do like the slide-outs, until they start being problematic, not so much a money thing but more of the hassle involved. We bought a used AS and are upgrading it to suit our needs and believe even after putting in an additional $15k or so, we will have "our" AS for 1/3rd the cost of new and spend the $ saved on more travel. ASs are timeless and have a character that you won't find in other brands. Good luck in your search...
Regards,
James and Rebecca
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:11 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Only reason to buy is because you want one! There is no logical reason (financial or other) to buy one, just like buying your MH.

Buy something you will enjoy.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tom, in an Airstream, you have a trailer with metal exterior, metal interior, minimal insulation, and metal bracing between the inner and outer metal. Metal is a great conductor of heat and cold. It will not ever be thermally efficient. If that is one of your main criteria for selection, you need to keep looking for a different brand of travel trailer, because you will never be happy with an Airstream.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I met a husband and wife last March who did what you are talking about. They were parked across from me in a vintage Airstream. They had an Airstream then got rid of it and moved to an Airstream motorhome. They had lots of trouble with it and traded it of a Fleetwood motorhome. The man talked about how much more costs were and when fuel prices went up it was only worse. Their kids were in Vermont and California so big trips were the norm. He chose vintage to get the lighter weight and a more economical tow vehicle. They customized it. I saw how they had torn everything out of the front section and made an entertainment center along the from wall with two chairs in the middle. The front window was not used at all covered up by a tv. He was towing with an SUV.

Ian going to speak my mind on this. I have spent a bit of time looking at RVs. I have created four classes of Rvs based on their interior and overall build- budget camper, camping, inappropriate, luxury. It may make no sense to anyone but me however, I put most Airstreams into the camping category with most trailers in budget camper to camping category. Luxury trailers are just NOT. The Winnebago exec told me this when he shared his advice that I buy a trailer with either an all fiberglass roof or a metal roof as being the best. I scoured the market only to find Airstream and Galileo (no longer building). BTW inappropriate category is all carpeted inexpensive, not really designed for camping; a subset of budget or camping. In my opinion, the nicest interiors are in class A or residential 5th wheels. There are a few outliers to this like the Coleman opposed slide model, the Element and that all gray trailer that was to compete with Airstream.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have some good friends who are in their second SOB trailer and are semi-retired and can travel a lot.

It is quite interesting as he is offering friendly suggestions on items we may want or need, and so many of them just don't apply to our situation.

Some are due to the physical differences-his rig sits up much higher off the ground due to the slide outs, so getting level and stable for him seems to involve a lot more use of supplemental supports, blocks, etc. We just tire up on a lego on one side if needed, drop the 4 stabilizers (yes with a manual crank-oh the horror!) and are done quickly with very little fuss.

The other major difference I see between us is he uses all manner of electric plug in appliances like toasters and coffee pots, and I use a percolator and pretty much cook outside on a Coleman stove. He says that they most typically stay in commercial campgrounds with electric/water/sewer and because those types of places are so packed in tight, that they will spend most of their time inside their trailer.

We OTOH stay most of the times at state parks or COE parks and bought our AS so we could travel and go West to National Parks for vacation. We tend to spend more time outside.

Our 22 probably cost 25% more than his 28. He thinks we're nuts for spending that much for an AS.

I would not want his longer, higher, vinyl lined unit. And if in 10 years I start to travel as much as he does and do go into more commercial type campgrounds, I think I would want to get a larger AS to have more indoor space, and not a rig like his.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I followed the simple is best philosophy in my trailer build. Aside from the forty year old air conditioner and my water pump there is very little RV left in my systems.

I used residential plumbing fixtures exclusively, residential stove, refrigerator, and water heater.

Two years in and all has been dependable.

I covered my interior walls with birch plywood and I think that this has helped with thermal transfer quite a bit as my old 11,500 btu AC has kept the interior comfortable in 100 plus degree weather while parked in direct sun. (With silver bubble wrap in the windows)

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #27
Coolman

Currently Looking...
Roseburg , Oregon
Thank you, we are in that exact spot . We're quality buyers, just trying to make the right decision. Tom
Retiredcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Keep in mind that in forums like this negatives become magnified.

People don't really post "everything worked great today".... And if they did no one would read them.

Human nature dwells on negatives....

Brevi tempore!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #29
Coolman

Currently Looking...
Roseburg , Oregon
Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions. It just so happens we know a couple that has an older Airstream that has been sitting in their yard, I will approach them on possibly buying it then making it our own. Thank you all again. Tom
Retiredcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #30
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I hAve 19' Bambi that will be 10 years next year. I cant imagine any sob looking and working as well as my bambi that is same age. I love my aluminum inside, my table, corner bed, everything about the trailer. We use about 160 nights a year, and love every moment. We range from full hookups to up to six nights boondocking, all with no issues.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bought 1999 34' Excella. We are the THIRD "caretakers"... Yes.. Not owners...

I Have done many "overlooked" maintenance items, put in engineered flooring, upgrade to 50 AMP AND AC #2 in bedroom. We have camped from 110 to 25 degrees.

Yes, it is different than SOB. But I have fixed it all myself with assistance from folks here and my own ideas.

Yes, it leaks... So did my Harley when it had a bad seal... So what? Fabric wears out... We had it recovered!!! The TV antenna failed.. I fixed it!!!

Things break... But I fix them. It is NOT the same trailer as when we bought it. In most ways better... Other ways.. Well, we figure it is what it is, or I figure it out.

Last weekend we looked at some new SOBS... I have less $ in my AS after all the repairs and upgrades by 20% or more! The SOBs were so TALL!!! If I ever have a restriction, I will have to sell that RV... The AS is still low enough most any of our elderly friends can get inside the AS.

Perfect? No. Would I have a "new" one? No. For personal taste reasons in style and they don't make 34' anymore.

I will be replacing the 3 axles soon. Part of "maintenance"... Just something to factor.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:19 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Prospect Heights , Illinois
I love this thread. Makes me want two things.

1. An Airstream
2. To know what sob means.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Why should I buy an Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Bought 1999 34' Excella. We are the THIRD "caretakers"... Yes.. Not owners...

I Have done many "overlooked" maintenance items, put in engineered flooring, upgrade to 50 AMP AND AC #2 in bedroom. We have camped from 110 to 25 degrees.

Yes, it is different than SOB. But I have fixed it all myself with assistance from folks here and my own ideas.

Yes, it leaks... So did my Harley when it had a bad seal... So what? Fabric wears out... We had it recovered!!! The TV antenna failed.. I fixed it!!!

Things break... But I fix them. It is NOT the same trailer as when we bought it. In most ways better... Other ways.. Well, we figure it is what it is, or I figure it out.

Last weekend we looked at some new SOBS... I have less $ in my AS after all the repairs and upgrades by 20% or more! The SOBs were so TALL!!! If I ever have a restriction, I will have to sell that RV... The AS is still low enough most any of our elderly friends can get inside the AS.

Perfect? No. Would I have a "new" one? No. For personal taste reasons in style and they don't make 34' anymore.

I will be replacing the 3 axles soon. Part of "maintenance"... Just something to factor.

Love it Channing!

You covered all of the bases regarding the joys of owning an older Airstream in that post. I have truly enjoyed making our trailer ours, shortcomings and mistakes included!

Brevi tempore!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Rktect1

2. SOB refers to some other brand.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #35
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like fun! If you like the look of it, you may want to reach out to a local Airforums member who can help you inspect it so you have a better idea of it's true condition and what it needs most / first.

Depending on its age and condition, you may also want to get a line on a good firm within reasonable distance that can do a great job renovating / restoring it to help make it yours....unless you are handy and wish to take on that project yourselves.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcool View Post
Thank you to all for your comments and suggestions. It just so happens we know a couple that has an older Airstream that has been sitting in their yard, I will approach them on possibly buying it then making it our own. Thank you all again. Tom

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Sounds like fun! If you like the look of it, you may want to reach out to a local Airforums member who can help you inspect it so you have a better idea of it's true condition and what it needs most / first.

Depending on its age and condition, you may also want to get a line on a good firm within reasonable distance that can do a great job renovating / restoring it to help make it yours....unless you are handy and wish to take on that project yourselves.

Best of luck!
And... remember... you are the 'caretakers'.... hopefully someone else will enjoy your AS "down the road"... because, the AS will probably outlive you... you probably won't have that 'issue' with an SOB..
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Sorry but I do not get the whole care takers thing. It is mine, I bought and paid for it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #38
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Pretty sure CWF was simply emphasizing the potential for any properly cared for Airstream to have a surprisingly long useful life.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Sorry but I do not get the whole care takers thing. It is mine, I bought and paid for it.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #40
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Howdy, Chief!
Certainly I support and understand your position!

My Dad has the attitude... he buys a new car after the second oil change.. never buys 'new' sets of tires, always buys new boats for each new fishing season... doesn't understand the RV thing... says.. "I use a motel room and leave my krap for someone else to deal with.." etc...and he's spending everything he can.. always has...

My 'perspective' of 'caretaker', I suppose as it appears to me, anyway, I won't be around forever... just trying to leave the place.. and if possible, THINGs... a little better....