Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member
1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Our Airstream found us when we were in the process of moving daughter #1 from Florida to Colorado Springs. Why do we love it??? Let me count the ways.... for example, guess who's lot the weekly impromptu "block parties" are held??? Last week's tally.... 42 revelers... we're the only A/S up here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Who's lot.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	53264  

“Cats and dogs are magical creatures... just petting one can make both of you live longer!"
Phil/Edee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Why?? Need anyone ask?? Really??

As a youngster in the mid 1950's, there was an Airstream dealer on South Main in Houston. Dad finally stopped so I could see & dream - thus the bug became an infection of Aluminitus.

First phase of my life - no money. So tons of tents & pop up camping - which means - sore backs in the morning, freezing nights, rain water (sometimes together!!) & Texas-size mosquitoes.

Second phase of my life - a wife that thought camping meant Holiday Inns. Finally (25+ years, slow to figger it all out?) got rid of that ball & chain.

This phase of my life - The dream, from so long ago, finally realized. Looked at the SOB's but knew they were NOT for me. I love the function (inside & out), the warm & inviting interior, not to meniton how they tow (especially with a HAHA). Friends (AND the one & favorite daughter) chide me about the cost, but I learned long ago that lower cost rarely leads to lasting quality. Simply put, I love my AS!!

The next phase? Who knows. But IT WILL include an Airstream and the absolutely exceptional people who own them.

I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member
1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
My Airstream found me. I first looked at it after calling an ad in the newspaper (back in the late '90s). When I arrived at the next town up the coast where the trailer was located, someone had just bought it! The owner gave me a quick tour anyway, and I really liked it, but I got over it. Several months later there was another ad for an Airstream, I went to look at it, it was the same one (vintage), the guy's wife wanted a newer one. BUT a couple had just put a down payment on it. So I got over it again. The next day he calls me up and says they backed out and I could have it. So now it's mine!
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member
1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
The price, the eventual value & best of all , the FUN of the rebuild.
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:18 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member
I bought mine because it was cheap ($2K) and I was told by a friend that i could get my money back if I didn't like camping. Now I am so gratefull because of all the nice Airstreamers I met.
Live and LET live
FrenchBern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Classic
After tent camping for several years, then camping for 5 years in a popup tent camper, then camping three years in a 25' square sided fiberglass camper with slideouts that was hassel for me to clean, the DW and I began looking at Airstreams. After purchasing at new 2004 25' Classic and camping with it the past two years we've never been sorry we purchased it. It pulls great and is easy to maintain. The camper was a pricy purchase but should serve us well for several years untile old age makes us part with it.
David & Linda "savoring retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25 Classic
WBCCI #1572
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
True story. I know a fellow AS owner who answered an ad for a riding lawn mower. The seller of the lawn also had an old AS for sale. My friend always wanted an AS so he bought it on the spot. Had some explaining to do when he got home pulling the AS.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #64
Rivet Master
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I just start sending my buddies vintage Flying Cloud advertisements I find on Craig's list. Next thing I know they are afflicted.

So far, I've managed to increase the Flying Cloud population in my car club by two more. I have another "interested" if we come across the "right" Caravel project in the PNW.

Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #65
Alumicult in Oregon
1981 27' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Seaside , Oregon
I suggested to my wife that we should sell the motorhome (SOB) and get a trailer for a little more room and less maintainence. I thought something square would be O.K. and her comment was oh good we can get an Airstream. The next thing you know I was divorced!!! No just kidding. The next thing you know we were the proud owners of a 1981 27 foot Excella II. She had always loved aluminum except for my airplanes. I loved aluminum because of airplanes. It fell together and we both decided that aluminum and rivets were the way to go. An the adventure has begun.
edgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 PM   #66
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
We're a young family with 2 boys (and now a dog). We had been quietly and casually looking at cottage properties for a bit, wanting to have a place to create those great memories that only the great outdoors, time with the family and campfires can make.

Long story short - we abandoned the cottage idea for time being (who needs the work of keeping a 2nd house to keep clean??) and got an absolutely fabulous 25' CCD. We camp every weekend practically with longer trips in between.

But why specifically an Airstream as opposed to an SOB? There was never a single moment when we considered anything other than an Airstream. Everything about it fit the bill.

I'm counting the days until it comes out of storage...!
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We've always loved camping, in various stages from backpacking to river-camping to tailgating. With kids, we purchased an SOB (and loved) until one day we made the fatal mistake of stopping by an AS dealer and looking inside. End of story.
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #68
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Brad, that was exactly what happened to us. Once we looked at an AS we knew that we would not be happy with a square cornered trailer. Soon we will began planning our 3 month trip this summer to the NW and back to MT for the rally before returnng back to Texas. We really enjoy our AS.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I RV camped as a child and my husband tent camped. We had a popup and though it was easy to move to just the right spot by pushing, it took too much work to set up when trying to keep track of a child. Then there was setting up in the rain.
We traded for a SOB hybrid. Less set up but still enough to be annoying. But mostly, my husband was exasperated at watching that much money deteriorate right before our eyes. We could practically see the thing decompose. We were ready to quit camping. A sad thought for me since I felt it was so great for our kids.
Then my husband discovered this website, discovered that we could actually afford an A/S. We like quality. We like "different". We like things that have some endurance. We like camping. An A/S was the answer!
Found our A/S on the forums classifieds. It was owned by the nicest couple who had taken great care of the A/S.
Mrs_RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Well we had concert tickets for a show in Winter Park, CO and we were all going to ride out together in our cousin's 40' class-A (although nice, not an AS), then his wife said she was going to come along and that she didn't want to share the RV with a bunch of people. We either let them hock our tickets or fly out there- well we didn't want to do that. But we didn't want to stay in hotels or tent camp next to their 40'. Our cousin said get a coach- class A. We wouldn't be caught dead driving a brick down the road at a whopping 5 mpgs! I said- "Hey do they still make those shinny campers?" A google search later - we were drooling over our first camper. We were mesmerized by the shinny exterior and interior of the International CCD's- so we located a dealer an brought a slightly used one of the lot (still had the appliance stickers on them- never used the stove or microwave). A week later we were on the road (crash coarse in RVing- but thats another thread). Now that we have been ASing for a few years we are going vintage and once our vintage ones are fully operational we will sell the '05. We can't justify the weight of the new one- not to mention we have come to find the vintage ones more iconic and meaningful to us.

Here we are hooking the sewage hose up for the first time...

Andy and his cousin Kenny- that his SOB to the left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7273.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	54351  

April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote