Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
About 1971 I had a special guest speaker in the Nebraska church where I was the pastor. He had just retired from his Iowa church and had a brand new 31' Airstream. I was duly impressed by it. About this same time a pastor friend my age bought a Bambi. He actually pulled it with a VW wagon! Well, I was really impressed by this. In 1981 I decided to buy a slide-in pickup camper and take our first vacation without kids. Upon returning home four thousand miles later I knew two things; 1) I hated everything about the slide-in, and 2) I loved the experience of RV camping!

Two years later I found a '69 International 31' and the rest is history! Twenty-five years later I know it makes little economic sense for me to have mine (I could rent first-class motels, eat in good restaurants, etc. cheaper than I travel with the Limited), but I like my own space, prefer my privacy, love my wife's cooking, and with the clock ticking my years away I'm going to keep on enjoying my rig as long as I can.

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I quess when we look back we're an accidential AS owner. We did not know doodly squat about AS or even RV'ing. It was something we thought that we would like and enjoy. We had already spent a lot of years flying all over the Country and camping under the wing of our plane. Yes, the AS/Argosy have that classic look whch draws attention. Sort of like landing your classic taildragger aircraft at a strang airport and watching all the admiriers come out of the woodwork to look at it.

Last year we were on the road with our Argosy in the mid-west for 2 months and during that time I can count on one hand the number of AS's that we saw on the road. Yes, AS's are unique and so are the people own them.

gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1993 30' Excella
We chose Airstream because of its stellar reputation. Could not afford a new one so we purchased a 30' 1993 Excella 1000. We searched AS classified and communicated with sellers from coast to coast. Almost made a deal on a Safar in Florida and then on ebay we found the unit we bought just two miles from home. The seller had already purchased his replacement Airstream so now we try to and they try to head together. He has been a great resource on how the systems work.
SKEETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
We choose AS due to its uniqueness, reputation, fine AS owners, adventure and longevity. No regrets!
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
It Chose Me

I was at my veternarians farm doing some dog training with him & he mentioned he wanted to get rid of the AS that had been siting there and only occaisionally moved for about ten years. Morrie (my vet) had just bought a 38 ft. Damon motor home.

I just asked out of curiosity how much? He said for you $1500. I remarked that I did not know much about trailers but knew it was worth far more than that...He just needed to get rid of it and the sooner the better.

Well I looked inside & thought there may be a potential hunting shck here. Once I replaced the tieres and repacked the bearings I found a place to store it and read up on AS. I was inside looking over a the trailer & all of a sudden it was no longer a hunting sort of told me it wanted to get back in shape and hit the we (me & the trailer) have been getting it into shape and will hit the road when I retire...A few shorter week or so trips in the interim.

Wow am I glad I stumbled into this and that the trailer sort of talked to me. I named it after my favorite old Chevy van I had when I was in service (& much younger)...the Smokin Camel.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
We chose an Airstream because:

- I dislike the "sticks and staples" construction of conventional trailers;
- We have become thoroughly convinced of the long term value inherent in buying quality;
- the aerodynamic design of the trailer makes perfect functional sense (and saves a considerable amount of fuel);
- the first rate running gear and balance make for suberb handling, braking, and stability;
- the Overlander meets our family's needs perfectly;
- there is nothing comparable being built today (yes, we bought used but can still obtain parts and dealer service when needed).
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
- style and reputation of quality -

Style and function are great. Quality is a bit disappointing, although everything thus far that I've had to fix does not involve major repairs. We love our new trailer, and simply would not have bought anything but an AS. We're proud to own it, and our friends and family ooh and ahh.

Happy Camper.
TT: 2007 Bambi 19' 75th Anniversary Special Edition, David Winick
TV: 2006 Chevy HD2500 Duramax 6-speed manual
tetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Efficient Use of Space

I just purchased a used 25' Safari SS today so this information is fresh in my mind.

I had a 2007 Keystone Laredo that measured 32 feet from bumper to hitch. Soon after purchasing it I discovered a new appreciation for EFFICIENT USE OF SPACE. Just because the tow vehicle can pull it doesn't mean you should buy it.

The 25 SS floor plan is an amazingly efficient use of space. It has all the features that I liked in the Laredo yet it's seven feet shorter and 1200 pounds lighter.

I got 14.8 mpg towing it from Indianapolis to St. Louis, where I got 12.4 mpg average with the Laredo. It towed better with no sway control than the Laredo ever towed with the Reese dual cam setup.

I also like the sense of community that I see with Airstream owners.

And it's an American Icon.
TinLoaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Why did we choose an Airstream?

Why did you purchase your AS?[/quote]

When my husband and I first started dating, we went hiking with a couple who owned a 34' that had stained glass in it! I thought it was the best I'd ever seen! After they passed away a few years ago, we kept looking at silver palaces, but didn't buy one - 1st a Cherokee and then a Sunnybrook.

Our brother-in-law passed away in March of last year and his wife kept saying she thought they had more time, wished they'd camped more. On the way home from the funeral, we passed a dealer in Atlanta. We stopped and they didn't have what we wanted. We talked more and decided we wanted no regrets when something happened to one of us, so we custom ordered one from a Tennessee dealer last March and it rolled off the line in May - 3 days before we left for a six week trip to see the Great Lakes, Canada, and Niagra Falls before heading back to Alabama.

car2nqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I chose an Airstream because it is the icon of travel trailers. There is no other material thing in my life that makes me smile every time i look at it and can make me look forward to every experienve I have with it
Don Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1961 26' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1975 20' Argosy 20
Gulfport , Mississippi
It was my wife's decision. It was time to come out of the tent. My wife, who is an artist, always like the mid-century contemporary modern design. We looked at a mid-century contemporary house a few years ago, but could not buy it in time. Good thing, because the house took 10+ feet of water during Katrina and the new owners had to tear it down. So, we purchased a mid-century Airstream. My wife always said the Airstream was a piece of art, and she's right. I couldn't wait to show her that the MoMA had added a '61 Bambi to it's collection.
Rick--Airstream of Mississippi
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member
1987 29' Sovereign
Brampton , Ontario
Gotta love pulling an AS!

We started RVing when our children discovered a passion for fiddle music and stepdancing, the world of competitions and jamming under the awning. We were told that AS were easy to tow ... good thing since I was basically a trailerphobe. Over the past 8 years, we have pulled a 76 Argosy 24ft about 10,000 miles per year behind our 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan .... most every weekend hustling off to competitions on Fridays, returning on Sundays. Definitely a "travel" trailer. The Sienna/Argosy combination was fabulous and reliable. Last year changed to a Toyota Sequoia and 87 Sovereign 29ft due to the growth of the teenage kids - and have really enjoyed that combination. The AS is our comfortable home away from home, has many less problems, greater on the road reliability, and more durable basic amenities than many other new RVs. And it is sooo cool!!!
4Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
"Why Did You Choose An Airstream?"

For the same reasons I drive Mercedes sedans and Prevost motorhome.
Pure snobism.

Just kidding. Quality doesn't age. It becomes classic.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ventura , California
Airstreams are iconoclastic. They blend the romantic curves and lines of American automobiles and motorcylces with mid-century modernist functionality. My wife and I had a little 19' SOB. It got us out there, having fun. We had it for a just over a year before we bought our Airstream. Nothing else would do. We had to have the 25' Se! It's not cheap. However, we'll except nothing less than the quality and style of Airstream. We're young. We'll have it for a long time.

1Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote