Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
"Why Did You Choose An Airstream?"

For the same reasons I drive Mercedes sedans and Prevost motorhome.
Pure snobism.

Just kidding. Quality doesn't age. It becomes classic.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ventura , California
Airstreams are iconoclastic. They blend the romantic curves and lines of American automobiles and motorcylces with mid-century modernist functionality. My wife and I had a little 19' SOB. It got us out there, having fun. We had it for a just over a year before we bought our Airstream. Nothing else would do. We had to have the 25' Se! It's not cheap. However, we'll except nothing less than the quality and style of Airstream. We're young. We'll have it for a long time.
1Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I was getting ready to retire and wanted an activity that we could both be passionate about in our leisure years. I already knew that only one of us was passionate about motorcycling so I had to look elsewhere. We enjoyed traveling with our kids all over the Southwest and our one trip to the East Coast in the SOB class C motor home we bought from the in-laws. Having worked and sweated to keep it on the road and running we decided to look for a quality product, that wasn't large and pretentious, would last us a long time (I still have my 35 and 23 year old BMW motorcycles) and encourage travel to out of the way places as was our habit. We found those things in the Airstream.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I have always loved camping and so does my family but my wife was over the tent after our last rain soaked camping trip so I decided we should get a camper in order to keep enjoying some great family time and I always thought Airstreams were the coolest campers in the camps.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
My wife got tired of driving from Nashville to Destin (500 miles) to sail on our boat and I got tired of dodging hurricanes. The compromise was to buy a new Airstream while on a trip to the boat to put her up for sale. (PS, I got another sailboat and put her on Old Hickory Lake, 20 miles from our home).
Alls well that ends well. Gerry
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Choose a vintage Airstream? Shucks, I thought it was sort of like with our stray cats and dogs: We didn't choose anything; it chose us, and we're happy.

Lynn
Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I wanted something that wasn't going to be a pile of rotting particle board in 5 years.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
tustin , California
The people !!

We picked up our Airstream ( 08' 27' Fbse) in Aug of 07', we love it, we have been camping for almost 30 years, pop-up trailer, 22' Prowler, truck camper, to many tents and the good old stand by, the motel, nothing comes close to staying in our Airstream. My wife loves the contemporary interior I love the way it tows, but most of all in just a few short months of using our trailer I would have to say its all the great Airstreamers we have meet, we have been on a few rallys with a group we connected up with on this forum and they are some of best people have a every met.

We are looking foward to many years of trailering and meeting new friends around this great country of ours.

Happy trails to all, hope we meet up on the road.
terrygaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I was looking for a restoration project and I wanted something that would hold its value, be a classic, and turn a few heads on the occasional road trip.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #50
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
I needed something besides a tent for camping trips with a group which celebrates CA history. A local doctor was selling a 17' Caravel which he had used every weekend since he purchased it in 1965. As I was leaving work enroute to the credit union for the money, one of our mechanics drove in pulling a 17' Caravel. His family had outgrown it and he was looking for something larger. We hooked onto my Bronco and the deal was done. It was in better shape and a fraction of the price the doctor was asking.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
I didn't know I did ,until after I bought it and saw the Airstream tag plate thing in the door frame .Called the ex org.owner,did some (alot) of research,now a happy camper!!!
Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Perfect combination of art and architecture

Susan and I love camping, and spent three years camping out of the truck bed of our '03 Dodge Dakota. Then weather became an issue, and we decided to treat ourselves to an Airstream. We saw our first Bambi at an RV show in 2000, and decided we'd save up for it because its rounded, organic shape stopped us in our tracks! Its durability and architectural appeal clearly put it in a class by itself. It has become our cozy "escape pod" that blends naturally into any landscape, and is a show-stopper in every campground!

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM   #53
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

When I retired I wanted to get a fifth wheel. But the AS came up. It was a pure accident. I have nver looked back. If I change it will fo As MOHO. Regardas from Russell In cool and rainy Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Leavenworth , Kansas
Some of the reasons follow, they all add together to help explain why I bought a Airsream (in no particular order):

I was looking for a older RV to live/batch in while I build a cabin.

Several friends who have owned a "number" of different RV's have all stayed with Airstreams once they bought one.

I like the look of an Airstream.

Didn't like any of the other RV's I found used.

Wanted a RV I would also use after building the cabin.

This one sort of fell into my lap (I had quit looking and was planning to just tent camp while building the cabin), as it where....
k0dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Choosing an AS

Quality, character, longevity! We are customizing our rig to reflect our tastes and personality.
Enjoying the journey!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
1- the only SEXY rv...anthropomorphic gorgeous body...

2- subconciously connects me to my childhood through mid-century milleu..

3- amazing design..quality workmanship...a true land yacht..

4- cool...very cool...will never not be cool...

5- enjoy renovating older things...did my house..now I have a house on wheels

6- too old to tent camp...bad back...don't wake up sinus-y anymore..

7- poor digestion, prefer to cook and eat my own brown rice on the road and am tired of Wendy's salads

8- have always been a bit crazy...my Safari confirms this ;-)

9- have always wanted a 23-foot rolling sculpture that I can sleep in...

etc etc etc ad infinitum...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
Our Airstream found us when we were in the process of moving daughter #1 from Florida to Colorado Springs. Why do we love it??? Let me count the ways.... for example, guess who's lot the weekly impromptu "block parties" are held??? Last week's tally.... 42 revelers... we're the only A/S up here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Who's lot.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	53264  
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Why?? Need anyone ask?? Really??

As a youngster in the mid 1950's, there was an Airstream dealer on South Main in Houston. Dad finally stopped so I could see & dream - thus the bug became an infection of Aluminitus.

First phase of my life - no money. So tons of tents & pop up camping - which means - sore backs in the morning, freezing nights, rain water (sometimes together!!) & Texas-size mosquitoes.

Second phase of my life - a wife that thought camping meant Holiday Inns. Finally (25+ years, slow to figger it all out?) got rid of that ball & chain.

This phase of my life - The dream, from so long ago, finally realized. Looked at the SOB's but knew they were NOT for me. I love the function (inside & out), the warm & inviting interior, not to meniton how they tow (especially with a HAHA). Friends (AND the one & favorite daughter) chide me about the cost, but I learned long ago that lower cost rarely leads to lasting quality. Simply put, I love my AS!!

The next phase? Who knows. But IT WILL include an Airstream and the absolutely exceptional people who own them.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
My Airstream found me. I first looked at it after calling an ad in the newspaper (back in the late '90s). When I arrived at the next town up the coast where the trailer was located, someone had just bought it! The owner gave me a quick tour anyway, and I really liked it, but I got over it. Several months later there was another ad for an Airstream, I went to look at it, it was the same one (vintage), the guy's wife wanted a newer one. BUT a couple had just put a down payment on it. So I got over it again. The next day he calls me up and says they backed out and I could have it. So now it's mine!
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
The price, the eventual value & best of all , the FUN of the rebuild.
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote