Old 04-15-2007, 04:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
My parents divorced when I was three.

Dad was a desert rat and he took us camping all over the Southwest. Sleeping in bags on air mattresses. He'd set up the tent if it was cold or raining. He didn't believe in campgrounds so he had a 4x4 truck.

Mom took us to every state beach there was between Laguna and Gaviota. She got a tent at a yard sale and we'd load up the beetle. Me, Sister, big dog and Mom and off we'd go. After a while Mom got a vw camper but she didn't keep it long.

Between the two of them I got to go camping a lot.

Got married and went from a tent to a pop up to an Airstream to a bigger Airstream. Clearly I am getting lazier as time goes by.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Got married and went from a tent to a pop up to an Airstream to a bigger Airstream. Clearly I am getting lazier as time goes by.
We did tent, pop up, hybrid then airstream. We are not lazier..we just came to our senses. Some of that stuff wasn't fun, it was just work.

Mrs. RedSHED

Old 04-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Double whammy

Well...for me I had no chance of avoiding the silver addiction and exploring our world. Having a father who flew our silver birds during WWII all over Europe and North Africa, returning home to a desk job at what is now Wright-Patterson Airbase (not far from Jackson Center), meeting Mom there and then moving to Minneapolis, his and my Birthplace. By the way, Mom was born and raised in Elkhart, Indiana, the RV capital of the world.

Just before I was born, my two adventurous folks pulled a teardrop from Minneapolis to Santa Monica, Ca, where Dad got a job at Douglas Aircraft, working in the design department developing more silver birds. We soon moved to a small town right next to Santa Fe Springs, California (ring a bell).

Every other year for the next decade and a half we traveled cross country to the midwest, east, south, northwest and more, many times camping where ever our days travel ended.

Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny. And thanks to one special person....I am living my dream.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE

Travel is in my blood, adventure is my passport, aluminum is my favorite construction medium, and therefore, an Airstream was my destiny.
That is a perfect signature!

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Well I am like Scott (Commander31) and started with my grandparents in 1963 when I was 8 years old. Many rallies attended and a caravan taken when we were kids. What a great way to see the country and learn all of the things that grandparents are supposed to teach their grandchildren...including a love for Airstreams. I grew up (and still live) near Jackson Center so I was (and still am) around Airstreams a lot. In college and for many years after (including our honeymoon) my wife and I camped in our 1967 VW westfalia camper...in fact we still have it but my wife won't camp in it anymore. Something about no bathroom in the VW...
Tom
1978 28' Ambassador
1999 3/4 ton Suburban
Old 04-16-2007, 02:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Thankfully my parents were very much in love with the outdoors and camping and everything that comes with that. Most fond memories of my youth are either around special holidays, or are camping related. I still feel closest to my late parents when I'm sitting under the stars, campfire on the go, and memories of very similar times growing up with them.

Barry