Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Rot-Roo Rastro!!
2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
Alls Airlines Refuse

Alls Airlines Refuse to tow my Airstream so I stay on the ground and sometimes get to where I need to be sooner with my Airstream than if I took the bus with wings.

Astro & the humans I train Barry&Andrea
2000 Airstream Limited 30' ~ Silversled
2005 Ford Powerstroke, 4X4, Crew Cab
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yeah, they sure do make money...

Formula pretty simple, to keep planes flying with minimal staff (pilots have loaded bags, mechanics work nights, flight attendants work in shorts and tennis shoes and laugh during announcements...). The B737 can "turn around" at a gate faster than any other make and model of airliner, and their average gate stop is 25 minutes to unload and reload... Some of their labor practices unpopular, but most employees seem to appreciate working there.

They have an advantage of 1 to 2 cents "per seat mile" in lower cost compared to most other airlines... Doesn't sound like much til you do the math.. Figure 130 seats times 500 miles per hour times 10 hours per day in the air times 365 days per year times 300+ airplanes.. That's a big number, and allows them to charge less and still make a profit...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Venice , California

Since Southwest is the only carrier flying non stop from LAX to Kansas City (where I grew up), I have gotten very familiiar with flying Southwest. I buy the cheapest fare available and if I need to change I just go into their website and they issue a credit to be used on future flights--so I never lose the money--I just apply it to another flight within one year, I think.

Seats are not assigned but if you print out a boarding pass 24 hours ahead and get an A, you have a pretty good choice of the seats.

On flights that are longer, you do get a snack box......not gourmet but better than most of the other airlines are giving in coach.

Get a Southwest Visa card and put all of your purchases on it and you can earn free flights very fast......expecially if you put your Vintage Airstream repairs on the card.

They don't fly everywhere and some of their airports are like Midway instead of O'Hare but sometimes that can be a good thing. It mainly depends on what routes you want to travel, whether they are a good deal or not. Flying from LAX to Long Island when we want to go to NYC is not such a good deal--now they fly into Laguardia with another airline, but don't let you fly to Laguardia on a Rapid Reward ticket. Plus you probably won't fly non stop.....They do have non stops from LAX to places like Baltimore, Austin and Nashville. And they do seem to fly when they say they are going to fly....give them a try....pj

Paula & Ed
Suite Spot
Bandit our Boxer
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote