Old 09-30-2004, 12:39 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Andy, that is a nice close but no cigar facsimile of the Oval Office.
The real desk is, of course, much more ornate, and the carpet much more detailed, but of course the real ones were done on a Federal Budget, not a Toyota Budget.
In all actuality there are several "real desk". The desk that Clinton used was the same exact desk that JFK used. Clinton selected that one because he admired JFK so much and wanted to be like him. Only he got caught doing the White House intern in the Presidential Study, JFK didn't.

The current President Bush debated with himself about using the same desk that his father had used. I don't remember what he decided, but I think he chose a different desk because he wanted it to feel more like his desk and not as if he were trying to imitate his father's presidency. I am sure it was not the same desk that Clinton used. But I remember that Clinton chose a different desk than the first President Bush and I think President Regan had selected a different desk than President Carter. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
"President Bush has chosen to use the Resolute desk, which was made from the timbers of H.M.S. Resolute, an abandoned British ship discovered by an American vessel and returned to the Queen of England as a token of friendship and goodwill. When the ship was retired, Queen Victoria commissioned the desk and presented to President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880.

The desk has twice been modified from the original 1880 version. President Franklin D. Roosevelt requested that the kneehole be fitted with a panel carved with the Presidential coat-of-arms, but he did not live to see it installed in 1945. President Ronald Reagan requested it be raised on a 2" base to accommodate his 6'2" frame.

Every president since Hayes, except Presidents Johnson, Nixon and Ford, has used the Resolute desk. The desk was made famous by a photograph of President John F. Kennedy at work while his son, John Jr., peeked out from behind the kneehole panel."

The above information straigght off the official White House website.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/oval-office.html

Old 09-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
"Every president since Hayes, except Presidents Johnson, Nixon and Ford, has used the Resolute desk. The desk was made famous by a photograph of President John F. Kennedy at work while his son, John Jr., peeked out from behind the kneehole panel."

The above information straigght off the official White House website.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/oval-office.html
I stand corrected.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:11 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Okay, so there are others.

But, how many were built and paid for by "one" business person?

Andy
The 'Traveling' oval office is a privately built exhibit. There's also one in Hangchou China built by an admittedly weathy business person. I have also heard of several other private replicas, although I don't know if they are open for visits.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:37 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
This same exhibit also has models of the senate and congressional chambers as well.I would be happy to post those, if so desired by some.Andy
I would desire to see them, as long as everybody promises not to tell me how many other ones are scattered around the globe.
Terry