Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Where would you live?

As I sit here patiently waiting for my new AS be built and delivered to my dealer, I started to think about all of the road trips I have taken over the years within the state of Texas and beyond. From where I live in the Houston area (actually slightly north of Houston) it is a 12 hr dr to get out of the state heading west or northwest. I started to wonder, based on the most popular camping destinations throughout the country, what part of the country is the best place to live. Yes, I am bored but if you have an opinion I would love to hear it!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
You might think about Cedar City in southern Utah. It has a moderate climate and is close many national and state parks - if you like to go to those types of places. Good luck in what ever area you pick.

Bill Dunlap
Bishop, CA.
billdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Billdunlap brings up a good point when he says "if you like those types of places". Forget "popular" destinations. What kind of destinations are you looking for? Boondocking opportunities? National parks? State parks? Corps of Engineers campgrounds? Private campgrounds with all the amenities?

Howling wilderness? Cities full of culture and history with campgrounds nearby? Places where lots of rallies are held? Places where you can be alone? Places where you can be in a family setting? Places where you can be amongst crowds of like-minded people?

There are so many different types of experiences to choose from, besides just "popular." Never mind what's popular, which by definition are the places other people like to go in great numbers. Pick the places you would like to go, and just go there. Camp there for a while, and if you like it well enough, move there!

So turning the question back on you, what part of the country strikes your fancy? I assume it's not southeast Texas, or you wouldn't have asked in the first place…
Old 11-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Pro, I said I was bored! Not that I have a moving van out front waiting for me to make a decision! Actually we love S.E. Tex. Just looking at options. Like your idea of picking a place, go there and camp and if we like it move there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Looks like it's a thousand miles from where I am to where I'd like to in terms of a place where the beauty of the outdoors is a day away in most directions. And that home itself a place where the view is more satisfying than where I am at present.

Less difference than today in other words. Sounds invigorating to just go down the road a piece. Takes more time and energy to go far just to rest.

As one grows older and life shorter it is a stronger pull.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Where I want to be depends on so many factors such as time of the year, weather, "been there done that," etc... I used to think that a home base in FL or AZ where the winter weather was pretty good and traveling the rest of the year would be ideal. Now I'm not so sure.

Our home is in a very nice part of Michigan which has fantastic weather from the middle of May to the middle of October, then not so much. And Michigan is pretty much in the middle of the country so everyplace is not too far. Accordingly , we tend to be "home" for a substantial part of mid-May to mid-October when the campgrounds and attractions are full of weekenders and tourists, and travel the rest of the time when things are less hectic on the roads.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I pondered this same question when wandering around last summer. Native Californian and currently live in La Paz, MX during the winter. I found Northern New Mexico, Colorado and South Dakota to be quite nice. If I had to decide where to set up camp permanently that would indeed be a difficult decision.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
For me, the Pacific Northwest, Utah especially, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Wyoming. Yeah, I could live out there.

Honestly, we fell so in love with Utah. I think we might settle out there someday.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Our nine grandchildren (along with their parents) all live within 150 miles of us here in Ohio. If we were to move I would conceder Holmes county Ohio. Not too hot in summer or cold in winter. The land is gently rolling hills with many Amish farms and workshops. They are a friendly group once they get to know you and you learn and respect their ways.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Over the last nine years, we have spent over 1,500 nights in the Airstream. We have traveled with the Airstream in all of the lower forty-eight states and several of the provinces in eastern Canada. We have enjoyed every bit of it and would not trade these experiences for anything in the world.

Being Moose aficionados, our favorite places to camp are in Maine and Wyoming. Our home base is in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. This works very well as we are 1,700 miles to Medway, Maine, and 1,900 miles to Buffalo, Wyoming. These are our two favorite Moosing grounds. We like Airstreaming all over the country. We find the east as charming as the west. We even like the middle. North Dakota is one of our favorites.

All this being said, when we come home, it is to another great and wonderful place.

This is what we get to come home to.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-20_19-09-04_HDR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	227177  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I am a country girl. I can't tolerate cities or crowds. We live in the "Thumb" of Michigan. If we could do whatever we wanted, we would live in Michigan in the summer and Texas in the winter.
There are lots of beautiful places in this country and we enjoy visiting them, but Michigan is home.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Cassity View Post
As I sit here patiently waiting for my new AS be built and delivered to my dealer, I started to think about all of the road trips I have taken over the years within the state of Texas and beyond. From where I live in the Houston area (actually slightly north of Houston) it is a 12 hr dr to get out of the state heading west or northwest. I started to wonder, based on the most popular camping destinations throughout the country, what part of the country is the best place to live. Yes, I am bored but if you have an opinion I would love to hear it!
To me, home is not a location specifically, or a house, or a travel destination. It is to be near the people I love. I can travel anywhere away and enjoy what is there, but after a while I'm ready to move on. After being away for a while, I always want to return to those people, to home.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I ask myself this question daily. After spending over 35 years in California it is time to leave. Not the same state it was when I first arrived. I just retired 6 months ago, two kids in college and a younger wife that wants to work for about another 5 years. I am hopeful she will push up her plans.

I have always enjoyed the cactus of Southern Arizona and have family there that would be my winter home. Oregon or Idaho are possibilities for summer. I am spending some time this winter in Tucson so the wheels are moving.

Growing up in the northeast makes me appreciated just visiting the snow and enjoying the warmer sunshine.
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
I can live where I want, and have very few connections-Our kids and grandkids live in Boston, San Francisco, Minnesota, and Iowa, but they have nothing to do with where "home Base is". We are both from the North, but prefer the weather in the South. I don't like to shovel rain, nor do I like to be trapped inside by cold weather. The politics of an area really have very little to do with where we live. We like to be near water, so live near the Gulf of Mexico an the Suwannee river. The taxes are reasonable here, so our land and home are relatively cheap. Strangely enough, electricity and cell and Internet service are expensive, probably due to the remoteness and agricultural nature of our home. Nancy would prefer being closer to shopping and restaurants, and for that reason we have looked into South Carolina and Georgia near the Atlantic, and also Southern California. Being able to ride motorcycles every day is also kind of necessary for me, so anyplace that snows is out of the question. Just keep in mind that once you retire your retirement will come to your bank, no matter where you live. Pick someplace where the amenities look like they will suit you, load up the Airstream, and go there for awhile. See if it is what you want, and if it is in your budget. If not, try somewhere else. I left home when I was 17 and never went back, so have never been homesick or felt the need to go "home". I have lived in South America, Indonesia, and different parts of Asia, but aside from visiting or vacationing I really prefer to live in the Continental United States. It is big enough so you will never see all of it. Finding the perfect place is a very personal thing, so good luck to everyone at finding it! Rolland

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
All I know is that when we return home to the Pacific Northwest, we practically kiss the ground, every time. As for camping in our AS, we could spend the rest of our lives camping here without ever seeing it all. It seems that we have every geological possibility from the desert to the sea. We are grateful that the weather is mild, year around.
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:32 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Silsbee , Texas
Like others as I approach retirement the wife and I have lots of conversations on where we would like to retire to. The one thing that we know it is not where we live currently. Natural disasters drive some of our thinking, read somewhere that Milwaukee WI was the safest place to live from that perspective. Just too cold for this Texan.
We do love the Pacific North West, Hood River Oregon in particular. Now if I could just stop worrying about a possible volcanic eruption, LOL....
Craig Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Fortunately both our adult children live within 10 miles of us her in Western PA, so at this time moving is not an option we are looking at. However, if things change my choice is Moab UT. Close to great National Parks, beautiful drives and a virtually limitless array of off road trails for Jeeps or side by sides. Great climate for me as well.

Safe Travels
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #18

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Mod hat on. Let's keep politics out of this conversation. Discussing politics in the threads are against the community rules and will be deleted. Mod hat off. Arizona is looking good to us for retirement (a long ways away) due to its location. Warm winters and easy to get away from the heat in the summer. It's close to mountains and a short drive to be near the ocean. Someday we will not have to deal with these cold winters!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #19
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
circling the drain

as we traveled….looking for a place to live after a lifetime of tejas….and the unending sameness of hot and dry and hot and dry and floods and tornadoes and blue northers that drop the temp 50 or 60 degrees and then the next day it is 100 degrees….

a magnet has, it seems drawn us to the PNW……and the the san juan islands come into view…..

so we are here…on Orcas island…..hunkered down in a cottage on cascade bay…rosario washington….to see if the climate suits us and is there a suitable house to buy and live in here in paradise….

it is daunting and the conditions here are much different… than back there on that distant shore…that is the mainland….with it's hustle and bustle and freeways and big boxes and houses and people and cars and trains and planes…roaring and clanging and screaming and crying…..

here on the island…well it takes some adjustment…and we may not live here…just for the reason that the housing situation here is quite different than on the mainland…

but it won't be because i don't want to…I do…finding the right house and not paying the nosebleed, unrealistic prices that people think thy need here…the real estate bust fallout is wrestling thru the market here….

supply and demand skews the prices here….and people without exception build houses here and will put a $900,000 house next to a dumpy property that looks like hell…just because you can see canada, or this or that…..a view to die for controls the property prices on this island…..

and the views are to die for….people, once here will do whatever to stay….

so like the boil weevil….i'm looking for a home….if not on orcas…then somewhere in washington or oregon……..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	227215  
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having seen the OP lives presumably near the Woodlands where I have friends, I had to jump in. I love Wisconsin, South Dakota, especially home town of Sioux Falls, and in Colorado I have a few acres where I can park my AS, and see sunrises where the horizon is about 35 miles away. I suppose I prefer not to travel in the northeast corridor due primarily to my preference for wide open spaces and less traffic.

The beauty of an RV is that I can take my mountain home, beach house, camping tent anywhere I want, and almost on a moment to moment basis.

IMO, of no more value than any other for sure, is we can go anywhere and enjoy life if we interact with the "natives" to learn the local interests and develop an appreciation for what is offered from both a scenic and cultural perspective. Of course weather may be important, but the super advantage of the AS, and I specifically believe this is limited to towing an Airstream, is even severely tough towing situations are handled with relative ease. Thus, more freedom and choice as to where and when.

For a home base, Sioux Falls, South Dakota or surrounding area may be good due to tax issues, low crime rate, and centralized location. Winter...... The Woodlands......LOL.

Oh well...

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote