Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2005, 05:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
After replacing the A/C unit with a CarrierV w/heat pump and throwing the old water heater out for one of those new fang remote fired units. Replaced the vent seals and, re-caulk all around the top's skylights, etc on the topside. (BTW, the checkout was during a weekend long downpour of 7 in of rain with nary a drop of water to be found inside.) It's been winterized and, on location in Sandbridge, Va. Ready to be used at a moments notice during the winter.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Well it is a sad thing - when the antifeeze and tarps come out! - Don't panic the tarp is for the boat

We did some driveway shuffle and got them all in for the winter. So the SS Lighthouse (Overlander) is tucked in beside MoonBeam - but I have some Parboning to do at the front - we still have a leak somewhere as the floor in the front is getting wet - no biggy as the floor comes out in the spring - all dry rot in the front and door.

MoonBeam is primed for the freeze - but today I have to empty her and put her goods close to the basement exit - ready for the Winter Trip.

"Ella" the doner organ.....trailer has the nicest spot at the moment - but close to the garage and tools - if there is a tolerable sunny day the heater may come out and more of her inards will be stripped ready for the big operation in the Spring.

Our boat funnily enough - Airstream blue has not been named - always wanted "My Knotty Girls" but never got around to christening her. Even the landscape trailer has it's spot that will between Ella and the boat. Leaving lots of room for me to snowblow the driveway when that white rain comes.

Projecting lots of snow this coming month.

Would love to have covered storage - but that is planed for next summer - when the new Hybrid is finished she will sport a new covered structure. Solid roof with roll down canvas tarps for the side walls for the winter to keep the snow out.

Did not get much done on the trailers - worked on lots of little honey-do-list items with the Globe Trotter - but still lots more little things for warmer weather. This fall got eaten up with a sun room addition - that is just about to dawn the posts, beams, roof and windows - finished the hole digging, basement walls and floor, insulation and backfill.

...and to think I am seriously thinking about buying this "vintage" Houseboat that has steel pontoons - lots of potential - and just like a trailer but of course it floats. Our solution to not being able to park our trailer at the waterfront lot - so we will park a houseboat instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3332.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	15897  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:05 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Waiting anxiously...

for me to return and get the rest of the interior work done so we can get at least one trip in this year...not that it has made one yet

Actually it is sitting in behind my house in NC still in a state of dissassembly or should that be reassembly misassembly I am supposed to be closer to home by December so maybe work will proceed at a faster rate.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 06:14 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
One can switch to mimosas as the holiday season approaches. Rather than serve the same ol' mezcal next spring just pour it in your water tank.
I do the same with Bacardi...

Also, Goliath is currently parked in our driveway, as the storage place has been under water for a couple of days. If the Code Nazis don't like it, I will tell them to pound sand.:-)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:18 AM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I am supposed to be closer to home by December so maybe work will proceed at a faster rate.

Aaron
Aaron, I think you actually have to be close enough to make physical contact with it, in order for progress to be made.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ours is inside a garage with the boat. Both would love to see one more run this season, but if either do, it will be the Safari for a short weekend close by.

If not, in the next few weeks, I'll bring my compressor, blow out the lines, and add antifreeze to it. From there it will sit inside for about 4-5 months, as the feet of snow pile up outside, melt, and the temp gets above 32 degrees regularly.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
A shot of the Sovereign on it's trip North

Here is a shot from Saturday night (left at 9pm, got to Colin's at 3am) where we were checking lugs on the newly made rims (we had to convert Ford rims to replace the old Split rims) on the Vagabond. Two other photos of our (Colin and I went in on it as a joint project) Vagabond. It was a trip! Sorry for the quality as it is from my TREO 600.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture586_29Oct05.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	15898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture587_29Oct05.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	15899  

Name:	Picture595_30Oct05.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	15900  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Mine's out in the back yard. Put in a new Thetford Bravura (?spelling) toilet yesterday. The plywood was in excellent condition, thankfully, and it got a coat of Minwax wood hardener, which is similar to Ban Rot.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Lucky Lucy

Lucy sits in our driveway in ultra-suburban Evanston, Illinois. That's always temporary -- between trips, etc. She will shortly be hauled off to her permanent home, our summer home in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, where my mother this summer generously built a 46x32 garage for Lucy and for Mother's motorhome, Emmy -- please note that it's big enough for any future RVs we want in the family. Photos of Lucy snuggled into her winter hiding place will follow after next weekend.

Tom (and Frank)
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:04 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Another cool shot

Here is the SOTR just before it was parked at GSM Vehicles for it's overhaul this winter! What a trip north!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vagabond 8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	15901  
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Ours is in pieces and I don't know where they all are. We have a new 30'classic on order with a production date of 12/16/05. The rivits are still in a box as far as I know!! Our trade in is sitting on the dealers lot in Az.
Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:42 AM   #32
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Yesterday, 1 1/2 hours and a gallon and a half of Antifreeze, hybernation begins. Much easier the second time than the first.

My Porter-Cable pancake compressor worked like a champ. It is so loud though, that I keep the unit in the van, run a 30' hose out of the compressor and close the van door a bit to cut down on the noise. This thing will wake the dead!!!

It's interesting to note that opening all low point valves and draining this way, though time consuming, will empty the hot water heater. This was confirmed after I removed the drain plug and no water came out. I use a small crescent wrench and carefully remove the drain plug. For storage, I replace DP with only two turns so the WH can sort of breath, but not let stuff in. De-winterize, I'll tighten it up.

First year for tire covers. I also wd-40'd all locks, top off tires. Sometime when it gets realy cooler, I'll pick up and store the batteries in the basement with Batteryminder attached.

Still thinking about off-season outing...in March we are planning a trip to Mamoth Cave.

Jonathan
Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 AM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
Here is the SOTR just before it was parked at GSM Vehicles for it's overhaul this winter! What a trip north!
Rob, it's good to see that gargantuan air conditoner unit that was mounted in the front window has "left the building". It makes a big difference in the appearance of the trailer.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 AM   #34
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Ready to roll

Mine is under roof at the storage yard, plugged in to the 30a umbilical, refrigerator cold and stocked, and ready to leave Wednesday for a unit rally.

They just put in the 30a power in the storage bays and it is really nice to have. Sunday morning, I stopped by and turned on the heat punp, went into town to pick up coffee and a couple of breakfast tacos. I then returned to a nice warm trailer to eat breakfast and do some work.

I installed shelves in the backs of both of the deep wardrobes. I used inverted wire shelving so the lip will retain the contents. I even used some of the scrap to put in a narrow shelf in the wife's wardrobe for her umbrella. Having things organized really improves the liveability of the trailer.

Unles an ice storm is predicted this winter, I will probably not have to winterize at all. We have already scheduled use of the trailer for every month except January, and that may change if we go to the mid-winter IBT at El paso.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Ken,
Looking very good! I like Uwe's wheels better, that's just my opinion.
I know - I'm really trying to be just like Uwe - so I've ordered wheels just like his.......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
No but it rained an awful lot!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Just back from a weekend in RI. Din't snow too bad
All 3 are in the yard, Trade Wind is still ready for at least one more time out.
Hey have you seen the weather for this coming weekend? Was all set to do the 3 w's (Wash, Wax, and Winterize) the next couple days but saw the weekend forecast and thought maybe one more. What do you say, are you up for it??? We could do a Winterizing weekend.
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
My pair are in the drive. I can see them now. I drained and closed up everything in Shell Shock to make ready for the winter. I made two trips in it this fall and the wife and I know we made the right decision about getting a Airstream. (two years I have owned "Ambassalander" and have not camped in a Airstream till a month ago!?!?! The pair will sleep in the drive for the winter.

Shell Shock will most likelley not see another trip. I have it that funds will be made available for axles and floor early in the spring for Ambassalander!!! Also a new home for the Ambassalander will be made on the west side of the house with 30A service.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Forgot to mention she's parked in the driveway

The Gray Lady is parked in the driveway after our rainy weekend down in Rhode Island. Still thinking about going out this coming weekend before putting her to bed for the winter. Here's a picture of our latest airstream.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airjack1.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	15926  
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Living in Mine!

Full timing it in my 22 Footer! Finding lots of little leaks. Now I HAVE to fix all of the little quirky things that I've ignored. It'll be interesting when I can't open the door due to 4 or more feet of snow. I'm in for an interesting winter.

Old 10-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
M&M-
Great Pumpkin! Bet it will scare all of the SOB owners in the neighborhood out of their minds!

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote