Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #43
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Sometimes, life just gets in the way

I haven't been participating nearly as much as I used too for the past several months. Our oldest child is about to get married (three weeks from now) and we've been extremely busy getting ready for that festival. You may know the drill....paint the house, new flooring everywhere, make the list, address the invitations, reasure the bride to be that everything is going to be ok, find places for all of the out of town relatives to stay, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

I joined the forum in the fall of '04 primarily because I needed restoration info and love it here. This is the perfect resource for me. Hope it's here for many moons to come.

So sometimes, life just gets in the way. Haven't poped a rivet since the holidays, dangit. Gotta run.....

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #44
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile The Good Times?

The Good Times

well my friends

there is still time for the good times
at

MICHEAL'S BOONDOCKERS CAFE

Featuring host and nightly party catalyst, percussionist and chef, ArtStream aka Michael

Inconveniently located off of mile marker 27 off of highway S22 GPS: 33.300.116n 116.28044w in the beautiful Anza Borrego desert
encrusted with the Santa Rosa Mountains

Live Music nightly
by: WTF

Recently live main courses
served fresh daily

Whines
Wally wine &2 Buck Chuck

Where the Coyotes croon
and

Kit Fox get their kicks

Can’t wait to see ya,

BYO:

Bring your own: chair, eating utensils, drinking cup, plate, party hats and animals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The_boondockers_Band.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	76311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Michael's-Cafejpg.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	76312  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssIMG_7821jpg.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	76313  

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Thumbs up

Interesting thread here.....

There is a wealth of information on here. I doubt my Caravel would have turned out soo nice if I hadn't learned the things I learned on the forums. I even waffled on finishing but got the support I needed from the masses which was a good thing.

Until I get a new Airstream project. I'll most likely use the forum to connect with friends, find rallies near me that I may be able to attend and peruse the current threads.

Since I finished my trailer resto, I have moved on to other projects. I have a speed boat I am working on, a convertible, and a 24 ft cabin cruiser that I am not too sure what to do with. That is on top of the regular things that life requires. One of my "projects" is to be debt free in the not to distant future. That means I work, A lot. I have changed positions in my company so I have precious little free time to sit and read threads on here. I generally log in to see if there is anything that interests me, read that and then I log out.

I too wonder about some members that were around when I signed up. Sometimes no one knows what happened. Sometimes life just throws them a curve-ball and things change. Their priorities change and the unnecessary things fall by the wayside.

I will continue to be a contributing member of the Airforums and the WB. Why ? Well, when I do get more free-time I am going to want to get out more, meet new people and socialize more. That is one reason why I believe that both the AF and the WB are invaluable. So, even if I don't post. I will still be a lurker.

Thanks Frank for making me think about the things that really matter and helping me remember why I work my butt off everyday.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Since I finished my trailer resto, ........
Does that really happen????

Maybe I will be able to say that someday ...... as long as all you folks hang around here to help me.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
Does that really happen????

Maybe I will be able to say that someday ...... as long as all you folks hang around here to help me.

Well, no, but I don't have to work on it to camp. Think hitch and go. There are always improvements that come along and things do break too.
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I'm hear because we are on the front end of renovating a '67 Overlander. In a year or so when the project is done, I may participate less. I also expect I'll stay around, if only to try and answer questions others have so graciously answered for me. I enjoy the forums because the people are generally very nice and there are other folks grappling with the many, intriguing renovation questions. I'm not exactly sure where we fit on the social continuum. If we're doing some shakedown cruises late in the year, we may attend a rally or two... or we may not. Our focus is gearing up for up to a year of broad "mobile lifestyle" rather than narrow "Airstream lifestyle." Honestly, I'm excited to attend Burning Man in a few years... and to visit any number of other places.

Maybe this analogy is misplaced, but I see Airforums as an online Airstream Whole Earth Catalog. We're not just content to "RV." We have to tear things apart, know how they work and make them better. We don't just want to buy something off the lot... we want to build something uniquely us while preserving an American icon. Sure, there will always be white noise on issues like the WBCCI... but I would like to think Airforums is some strange, wonderful attempt at RV string theory. While turning better nuts and bolts, we're also creating something more. And that is about as zen as I am going to get on a Monday.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumanutz View Post
I still post but not to this forum. I now try to maintain a blog showing the activity with my trailer. At one time I tried to write a blog in MS Word, add photos then post it here and my blog. I could not get that to work. I am not the sharpest crayon in the box. I don't have the time or patience to type all this out two times so while I still read the forum everyday, I don't post.

NUTZ
  1. ctrl+a (select ALL)
  2. ctrl+c (copy whatever you've selected)
  3. move your cursor to wherever you'd like to duplicate your thoughts - such as a new posting here
  4. ctrl+v (paste)
  5. sign it and send it
now you're an expert just like me - an expert is of course a former drip now under pressure!

Paula
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Overextended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral blue View Post
Are you in the right thread CG? Where's the pic with the bird on the guy's head?
Duh, you're right. The thread I "thought" was this one is: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...cci-48782.html

This one kind of relates to two WBCCI threads going on. I need some time in a rest home.

Gene
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
A year or so?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I'm here because we are on the front end of renovating a '67 Overlander. In a year or so when the project is done. . .
Optimist!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
People and life, are like ocean tides... the highs and the lows.

When we are young we think we know everything. As we age, we appreciate the advice and knowledge given freely. The Airstream site is changing; technology, etc. BUT the history and archives will be treasured forever.

Rock on Airstream, may be different, but will never die.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #53

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson View Post
Well, no, but I don't have to work on it to camp. Think hitch and go. There are always improvements that come along and things do break too.
That's where I'm at. I spend more time camping in it, than working on it. I have no intentions of bringing home another project trailer. I also have a boat project, and a Mustang waiting for it's turn. Plus our little farm, and training the new puppy, and running our own business. But I still like to pop by every day and see what's up and who's doing what, and watch for local rally announcements so I can meet up with our friends. And I contribute as a moderator where I can, so hopefully we can all continue to enjoy this friendly community without the spammers and trolls who would like to cause us grief.

I think there's still a lot of good times to be had around here.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Tallahassee , Florida
The "good times" are now. Let them continue.
I check the forum most every day and still feel as I am missing something. I don't know anyone on the forum and don't know much about the terms used. But I am finding information and enjoy reading what you are saying even if you ain't talking to me. ha Maybe I'll be able to help someone with what they are searching for some day.
BO
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #55
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I don't know anyone on the forum and don't know much about the terms used.
You can look here for an explanation of terms, all will be clear after you finish the thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...logy-7597.html
Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Tricky stuff, this.....

Moderating is a careful dance and almost always someones toes get stepped on. It's tough to stop folks from wandering into political discussions and one persons idea of politics is not anothers. Stopping conversations about politics while sometimes done, usually results in cries of jack-booted censorship.

One of the things to remember here is that for many, the forums isn't just about airstreams, it has become a gathering of friends who's interests and conversations wander widely. To limit that roaming diminishes their enjoyment. To keep discussions more tightly on track would mean post removals and PM's to folks who are just here to relax. So... we do the dance; trying to strike a balance between free flowing, naturally evolving conversations and the need maintain some semblance of order.

Members can help by reporting posts that are problems, using the ignore function to avoid having to interact with posters who annoy them and avoiding sections of the forum that are likely to have discussions that they either don't want to read or shouldn't read for lack of self-restraint.

It's important to keep all this in perspective - AIR is a unique community to be sure and many of us know each other out of the ether. We camp together, help each other do repairs, fix tow vehicles and a myriad of other things. But... this is the internet and at the end of the day you can step away from your keyboard. When you return, we will be happy to see you and there will be new discussions to read and participate in.

OUCH.
Did I just get my toes stepped on?

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote