Old 04-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #99
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Freekin burried! Last time I went by, it had 4' on the ground!
Roof was still intact
Just start up one of your famous campfires and you'll defrost the whole neighborhood!!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We had a half inch this morning and 3 1/2 Monday. We're up to 64 1/4", but the guy a mile away and 330 feet higher probably has had a 100"—Colorado is the land of microclimates. Recent snow has melted by afternoon and all the snow in the open spots is melted. It had been a rough winter for this area which hasn't had much snow most years since we moved here in 2000. Last winter was almost 70", but previous ones have ranged from 30 to 55". Where we used to live in the mountains west of Denver 100" was a dry year and 150" or so was normal. The rivers and streams are already running high. The snow melts one month or more earlier since global warming started affecting us here and the high(er) country is loaded with snow this year. The ski areas are measuring snow in feet. They promised us more severe weather from now on and it looks like we are all getting it. Most of Florida may disappear under the ocean and Phoenix will be 125˚ in summer. It's been in the low 90's a lot in the summers, even at 6,800', and the old timers say that never used to happen before. Grand Junction is often at 100˚ in the summer—75 miles west and 2,000' lower.

It looks rough in Ottawa and Moncton. Doesn't the government take it all away every day? I know you have high taxes, so isn't that part of the deal?

It was in the upper 60's in Santa Fe last week and we enjoyed the hot weather, even had to use the AC one day when it hit 72˚ early last week. It's supposed to be in 60's here the rest of the week and into the next, but we could get more snow, thundersnow, rain, or a heat wave in the next month. "Spring" is full of surprises here. Colorado never has freezing rain, but as the climate changes, we may get that someday.

Gene

Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene

It looks rough in Ottawa and Moncton. Doesn't the government take it all away every day? I know you have high taxes, so isn't that part of the deal?

Gene
Ha! If only they DID take it away. My street has been a one-lane with towering 12 foot snowbanks since, well, forever now. Forget about sidewalks. I pity the poor folks in wheelchairs.

And the city of Ottawa has been mulling over a surcharge tax for us lucky citizens because of the extra cost that snow removal has cost this year due to a higher than average snowfall. Well that's all fine and dandy. And I guess my rebate cheque from last year's *well below* average snowfall got lost in the mail...... Oh wait a minute - it doesn't work that way, does it??
Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Last Monday's New York Times (3/31) had a story on the snow in Ottawa and elsewhere. I just read it today—they mail it and it comes by muletrain about 5 days late and it takes so long to read it, I'm always a day or two further behind. So at that time Ottawa needed 7" more to set a record. Good luck.

I lived in Buffalo in 1976-77 when we had something like 198" (16.5') and it was a disaster. We went crazy and I left twice—once to Florida and once to Colorado (hardly any snow that winter and warm). Almost all the snow fell between Thanksgiving and the end of January. One or two blizzards each week. Narrow streets became narrower and since many houses didn't have driveways, people fought over parking spaces. There was no where to put the snow and the plows kept breaking down because of constant use. By the time you get to 198", you root for 200" just because you want more acknowledgement of how crazy life has become. It's the "eat, drink and be merry" syndrome—"oh, more snow? Get out the tequila!"

When it finally melted we realized the dogs had been pooping on each layer of snow, which was then covered and frozen with another layer of snow, another layer of poop, on and on. When the snow was gone, the poop (and a lot of it!) was left. I left Buffalo the next spring—that next winter had about 165", but that was almost a disappointment. I've lived with that much snow in Colorado, but it never was like those two in Buffalo. Here the snow is often fluffy and disappears. Fewer dogs too and more space to distribute poop.

May you set records so you can tell the grandchildren and watch out for the poop.

Gene
Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #103
2 Rivet Member

Snowed yesterday. Gone today. 9 degrees celcius today. Calgary Alberta.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Last snowball fight of the season (hopefully)

Hubby and I had an impromptu, celebratory snowball fight with the last, tenacious 4' x 4' clump of snow on our patio. It's all gone now, hopefully, until next winter.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Talking Snow?

Snow? can you send pictures? Sounds terrible.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
Snow? can you send pictures? Sounds terrible.
I attached a photo for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Jan 2003 storm.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	57778  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
When it finally melted we realized the dogs had been pooping on each layer of snow, which was then covered and frozen with another layer of snow, another layer of poop, on and on. When the snow was gone, the poop (and a lot of it!) was left.
Gene
Yep - we've got that going on. It's very educational - we tell the kids it's a geology experiment - sedimentary stratified poop. And then make them pick it up! A sort of a hands-on science experiment....
Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #108
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Happydaze

Quote:
Last Monday's New York Times (3/31) had a story on the snow in Ottawa and elsewhere. I just read it today—they mail it and it comes by muletrain about 5 days late and it takes so long to read it, I'm always a day or two further behind. So at that time Ottawa needed 7" more to set a record. Good luck.

I lived in Buffalo in 1976-77 when we had something like 198" (16.5') and it was a disaster. We went crazy and I left twice—once to Florida and once to Colorado (hardly any snow that winter and warm). Almost all the snow fell between Thanksgiving and the end of January. One or two blizzards each week. Narrow streets became narrower and since many houses didn't have driveways, people fought over parking spaces. There was no where to put the snow and the plows kept breaking down because of constant use. By the time you get to 198", you root for 200" just because you want more acknowledgement of how crazy life has become. It's the "eat, drink and be merry" syndrome—"oh, more snow? Get out the tequila!"

When it finally melted we realized the dogs had been pooping on each layer of snow, which was then covered and frozen with another layer of snow, another layer of poop, on and on. When the snow was gone, the poop (and a lot of it!) was left. I left Buffalo the next spring—that next winter had about 165", but that was almost a disappointment. I've lived with that much snow in Colorado, but it never was like those two in Buffalo. Here the snow is often fluffy and disappears. Fewer dogs too and more space to distribute poop.

May you set records so you can tell the grandchildren and watch out for the poop.

Gene

POOP'N ON BFLO.

Winter 1977, once is enough!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
POOP'N ON BFLO.

Winter 1977, once is enough!
I'm very appreciative that it is there and not here. I guess you should not be told that I was out plucking dandelions out of the lawn today then?

We know that eventually, at some time, it has to quit for you though.

Barry
Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
It must be spring , the last vestige of snow dropped from the AS roof today.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #111
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Snowing in Tahoe

Well, it is only flurries but it is snowing right now. I am sitting in the AS (in the front yard) enjoying watching the snow fly around.

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have to fly to Appleton Wis. tomorrow, forecast is for snow on Friday.

It's in the 70s here right now...

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote