Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
What's Everyone Doing for Health Insurance?

A bit off topic but pretty important. My wife carries the health insurance for our family , especially since I'm self employed. She just learned that the payroll deduction for our health insurance is about to double. We will be fulltiming in the not to distant future so what are you other self employed or fulltimers doing .
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Paying huge premiums.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Try pricing a high deductible, “catastrophic” plan. They are supposed to be much less expensive.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
_

. , .
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f314...ons-28627.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Thanks Joe, you have a link to everything. How about winning lotto numbers?
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
_

. , .
IF you currently have coverage...

you cannot be denied coverage.

but there are NO pricing guarantees...

IF you can remain part of a group coverage policy or join another group plan,

these will generally be less expensive for equal coverage benefits than individual policies.

BUT individual or group plans can (and do) raise premiums or co-pays and so on... regularly.

living in maryland? start with the basic links....

Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA)

Maryland Insurance Administration Home Page

Maryland Health Insurance Plan (MHIP)

IF you are covered by bc/bs or another large provider explore their other policy options...

https://www.carefirst.com/eSales/index.jsp

keep in mind that 'switching plans' even within the same provider...

is technically APPLYING for a new policy.

so don't drop current coverage until the new plan is priced and you have been accepted.

some retirees relocate or go full time BUT keep their insurance back in the home state.

because again, apply for 'bc' in a different state is applying for a completely NEW PROVIDER policy.

with a whole new 'starting premium/rate plan'

so they, schedule yearly visits, tests and so on back home, while having 'emergency coverage' on the road.

for folks with great coverage by a large employer, there is usually SHOCK when shopping what they can afford post employment.

the whole process is tedious, time consuming and very scary...

so most avoid it.

look a little each day, make notes, decide what coverage is important (meds, copays, ob, dental) and what is really essential.

have the providers mail you packets (remember your contact person is in sales) and compare.

YES read the footnotes and fine print too.

share some of the risk and CUT your risk factors.

old age is no picnic but it beats the alternatives...

cheers
2air'

sorry no help with the lottery, but i've been told if you don't play, you can't win....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
.......... especially since I'm self employed.
Have a look here :

National Association for the Self-Employed

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I applied have insurance through the state. I was denied twice. THis entitled me to insurance through the state.. I ended up with Blue Cross/Blue Shield accepted all oer the US....

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I know our BCAA which is the equivalent of your AAA offers a group plan to members so there may be something there. It's not cheap by any means and that's with us already having very good Provincial/Federal health plans in place. Contrary to common belief the Govt insurance is not cheap, we pay a significant premium in income taxes that funds the system and in addition still pay a monthly fee although it's not burdensome for most.

We have friends in WA State who's health coverage costs post retirement with a major employer seem staggering to us Canucks.

You absolutely need very good coverage. A catastrophic illness/accident can have huge impacts on you and your family. Also, determine if you can, even as a self-employed - get income continuance coverage if you are still dependant on work for your income.

As 2'air notes - read the fine print. Some packages, at least here in Canada, restrict your movement from one Province or State to another during the period you are under a doctors care, or while your health condition is considered "active". This can be extremely limiting, particularly when your Forums group are holding great rallies in places one is not allowed to go to. Even your Airstream gets mad at you for that one.

Barry
Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
What are we doing for health insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Paying huge premiums.
You aren't alone! We pay a lot too! But at least our coverage takes care of most things, far superior to what medicare will cover.... but that isn't saying much!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
We have True Blue, an HMO for Medicare eligible people in our region. It provides significantly more benefits than the Medicare/Medicare Supplements that I've checked out. As the name implies, TB is one of the Blue Cross/Blue Shield subsidiaries. TB collects from Medicare the amount Medicare determines is their cost for our coverage and we continue to pay the monthly Medicare payment. In addition, we pay $95 per month. As best I can tell, this amounts to a monthly premium to True Blue in excess of $700 for each of us.

We're thinking of moving back to Nebraska to be nearer our kids. I'm really concerned about finding a decent plan there.

Gene
Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The cost of insurance is what's keeping me working. At least that's what I say in public. May even be true at the core.

We're on our own, but were able to join a "group" through Farm Bureau. Anthem BC/BS. First year was 775/month with high ded. Just reached our first anniversary and the new monthly is 945.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
We are self-employed & use Nat'l Assn. for the Self-Employed (NASE). Premiums are about $1300 quarterly for our family of 5. I think our deductible is $1000.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
We pay about $900/mth. for two. I consider it a bargain given what it will cover if anything happens. Helicopter transport $6K plus. PET scan $8-10K. Hospitalization $5k to six figures. Meds. Dr visits, etc.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i have a policy with healthnet and pay about $105 a month. it's basically a catastrophic plan as i'm in good health

my wife has her own policy blue shield with blue cross at about $120 a month and she gets maternity coverage.

my 15 month old son has his own plan blue shield at about $120 month.

we're both self employed and it didn't make any sense for us to have a family plan, it was way too expensive. we're in the los angeles area.

it's odd that we have to have three separate plans and my 15 month old son has his own plan, but i guess it's the nature of health insurance today.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
That amounts to $345.00 a month!

I live in Canada, where we have "universal" health care. Basically, means if you require out-patient or in-house services from a hospital you will never be refused. Regardless of financial income.

However, we pay high taxes and do not have "mortgage interest" as a deduction.

In (solely) my opinion, I firmly believe that every persons health should be afforded the same degree of care. Whereas, owning a home must be based on individual finances.

If given the choice, I would agree to higher taxes in order assure my family
would never be denied adequate health services.

I know, I know , I know... will probably recieve backlash for my comments. Too bad, so sad, get over it!
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by love vintage
That amounts to $345.00 a month!

I live in Canada, where we have "universal" health care. Basically, means if you require out-patient or in-house services from a hospital you will never be refused. Regardless of financial income.

However, we pay high taxes and do not have "mortgage interest" as a deduction.

In (solely) my opinion, I firmly believe that every persons health should be afforded the same degree of care. Whereas, owning a home must be based on individual finances.

If given the choice, I would agree to higher taxes in order assure my family
would never be denied adequate health services.

I know, I know , I know... will probably recieve backlash for my comments. Too bad, so sad, get over it!
I completely agree with you. Health insurance here in the USA is so exspensive that the uninsured is nearly 40% of the population. Some of those uninsured get financial help. But for someone like Mywife and myself full converage if we were to pay on our own for decent converage is 900 dollars a month. When We retire at 62 well will NOT have health insurance unless We pay out of our own pockets. Medicare kicks in at 65 but then you have to have suplimental insurance payed out of pocket. It is a crying shame that people like us can work all our lives at good jobs and the hapenstance of health care can destroy our retirement if one of us comes down with a serious health issue.

OR....I would sell everything ..live on the streets...or be from a foreign country to the south of us...and get it free.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Perhaps create (initially) a local group of citizens who agree with you and raise this issue to your elected representative. My apologies, I am not familiar with American political titles.

Hopefully other communities, cities, states, will also agree and begin the process of change.

Change is always possible, but the citizens need to unite and be strong and refuse to take "no" for an answer.

Healthcare should have no restrictions. A sick child from a poor family and a sick child from a rich family are equal and should be treated as such.
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Have a pretty good plan from a career in the military, but not perfect...So...I work and have a shared plan with my copany...between the two we are pretty well covered. Not big on government controll, but believe in spreading the load to help keep cost down. My pet peives are unclear policies that seemed to turn on a whim. What is covered ought to be clear as a bell up front. I was not a fan of it, but now it is there we should watch and see if Mass. required insurance does make insurance affordable. Since I have insurance, when I hit the hospital the charges load up quickly. I had triple by-pass and there were several in there with me who were not insured. My cost were high because so many are in the system that can not pay...I am not well off, just have good coverage...
I have heard the horror stories of those in countries with "free" health care who faced long (as in years) wates for serious and minor problems. ENgland and France both have free health care in pooer financial shape...I don't have the answer...but my guess is if all had insurance and the insurance controls were reasonable the system might just float. We have the best staff, best doctors, best paramedics, just need a better way of making sure the cost is kept in control.
I will add that my wife was out of work for nealy five years after an out accident )hit by an unlicensed, uninsurred individual of unknown origin with no papers and quick feet). Her Long term disability paid only six months and determined she was fit for work...with four badly damaged disks...Yes, depite my desire to keep the government small there is need for some basic oversite!!!
GUess it is all above my pay grade
Old 02-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
Have a pretty good plan from a career in the military, but not perfect...GUess it is all above my pay grade
Nothing like using "Tri-To get-Care" for your medical coverages...that is, if you can get an appointment to see them. The retiree I used to work with could never be seen with all of the privates whining on a daily basis for a doctor.

Steve