Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What's bugging me?!

I can't tell you. Grandkids left awhile ago and we tried to have a fire last night and flashlight tag the night before when these humongess (1 inch +?)brown flying beetles kept bouncing off of our heads and Airstream and house. I don't reacall ever having had this occur before anywhere. They buzzed us and bumped us and sent us retreating indoors. Does anyone know what they are?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
they could be june bugs,common in minnesota this time of year when it warms up ,but they can be all over .They are here in ca also but smaller ,they bang into everything .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Scott -- Now would june bugs have a shape similar to an Airstream? Kinda tells ya something... And almost has the making of a Friday midnight classic movie about silver space aliens coming down to earth to spawn. Carol's reaction is now explained -- Aaaaaaaargh!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
They buzzed us and bumped us and sent us retreating indoors. Does anyone know what they are?
Just one more reason to get that immigration bill through congress. I will bet you these came from Canada. We need a net, a 500 mile long net 1000' high along the Canadian border to keep these things out. Rep. Sensenbrenner is my Congressman and I will call him up right away and let him know about this.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank you for the alert. Posing under the guise of June bugs these aerial invaders have scoped out the premises and recorded our nocturnal activities and made numerous transmissions to an unknown coordinate. In keeping with the severity of the threat we have taken immediate steps for preparedness and now have the Airstream secured to what inconspicuously resembles hurricane tie downs to prevent abduction and any suspicious antigravitational pull which will be immediately logged onto the surveilence network for the prevention of airbourne Airstreams by unexplained abnomalies smaller than a CD player. At first there was concern that these so called "beetles" were part of a British invasion, now after the leads posted here they are in fact being linked to our Northern neighbors in Canada.

Scott thanks for the ID. Bob, Kent, you guys are too funny!

photography
Old 05-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
See,
That's why it's so nice up here in the big white north. We sent them all south
with promises of a warm welcome!
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Oh yes; you're welcome.
See you soon Carole.
Al
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Al, yes we hope to be able to arrange our schedule to be in attendance at Louapalooza 2!

We finally get to some decent warm weather after a too long a winter then ZAP here they come! Well thank you very kindly, but please don't feel the need to share, you may keep them, really.

photography
Old 05-28-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
they could be june bugs,common in minnesota this time of year . . .
Recently passed legislation in Minnesota makes it illegal to operate a bug zapper during June Bug season.

June bugs cause such a big flare when they hit the zapper that they lit several houses on fire, and actually burned down Sven's sauna.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
June bugs ... lit several houses on fire, and actually burned down Sven's sauna.
Wit' Lena and me in it too!! I wass so drunk I t'ot I wuz Sven. I saw him runnink a-vay too and t'ot fer shur it wass him. June bugs - go figger!

(okay Don, so not like anybody in the big wide 49 even knows that Ole is actually Lena's husband...)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Carol,

we have them over here too, unbelievable the sounds they've been making the last two nights. They ARE june bugs and they are on the prowl right now. They'll probably be gone just in time for fish flys to start up! I know the mosquitos just popped out within the last three days, too.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
July Bugs

Hi, I call them July bugs; Because it seems that when I was a kid they always showed up in June. I.E. June bugs. Now that I'm a little older, 20, they seem to be later each year. Now we see most of the June Bugs in July therefore I call them July Bugs. Oh, and by the way, I'm 20 for the 3rd time.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Wheel Interested, How do you play flashlight tag? Sounds like fun. Got more camping games?

You can capture those little buggers and tie a thread to one of their little legs and they will fly around in circles. We never had real toys as kids. This was quite the entertainment. We liked feeding lightning bugs to frogs and toads. They light up inside the hoppers. Ahhh, the good 'ol days of youth.
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Down here they're more like Aprilmayjunejulyaugust bugs.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Question What'ca call them

We call them tourist up here
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Ours are gone! Never had seen them before those two-three nights and have not seen them since. Of course I am not sitting outside in the light now either so maybe they are there...waiting for a target.

I don't know if there is a "regulation" flash light tag but we were at someone's house when our children were small and this is what they did. Each child gets a flash light after dark and then they run and hide, usually around the perimeters of the house or behind bushes, or trees etc., and the person that is "it" has to find them and shine their light on them, (tag) at that point the tagged person is "it" as in a regular game of tag, and the others flee. This usually illicits lots of laughter and shrieks and is a fun activity for little ones. Or you can play it, catch one catch all, and then once you are tagged you join the tag team and the team goes after the others together until the last one is found. When the seekers can not find the hiders the hiders will either call out or flash their light for attention.

But my, I like the bug on a string flying idea, I just don't want to be the one to tie it on!!!

No lightning bugs here yet usually around the 4th of July they make their display here. I liked to catch them too but sometimes I used to step on them to see the glow stay lit.

photography
Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayWard Wind
We call them tourist up here
Best,
You must live somewhere good then if the tourists are descending upon you bugging you. Tell us where and we will join them! LOL

photography
Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
June Bugs are Idiots

I tell my kids that June bugs are just flying idiots. They seem to have no ability to control their direction in flight. They just flap their wings and see what happens. They bounce off of stuff repeatedly until they happen to run into something edible... or a swimming pool, in which case that is the end of the bug.

Susan
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
U Norty Girl...

Gwen...that realy sounds FUN, tho rather norty...LOL, Over Here I use My big torch 2 attract the MOTHS, jus as they get 2 the lamp,yep U guessed I turn it OFF... Hee Hee!!!... I used 2 get Earwigs & get them 2 lock on2 My lips & other parts of My body, It was a good Chick puller...LOL, I stopped doin it when I Swallowed one... I swear the sod nipped Me all the down, until it finaly made it's escape a couple of days later...LOL...
I Luv these lttl stories Mmm I wonder if it will work with WASPS...Chris.....