Old 12-10-2003, 04:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb What's around the corner...

We all do it and, use it extensively~
Computers~!

What lies in the future for your computer as CPU clockspeed increases~??

1. The cooling fan system is out of the question~
As the newer Intel CPU start showing up in the latter part of the 4th quarter of 2k4, we're gonna see heat dissipation on the order of greater than 100watts`That's Hot~!
So what's to be done?
The ultima solution lies in water cooling~Read the report from Purdue University.
Written by:
Issam Mudawar, Professor of Mechanical Engineering.
Tiny bubbles are key to liquid-cooled system for future computers
Other source on this related matter:
Future of CPU Cooling is Pump-Less Liquid-Coolers?
And, finally..A great reference for cutting edge technology:
AnandTech
Btw, I've followed this young man since his website was started back in the earliest days of the internet and, have always been quite impressed with his reports.
Enjoy`~

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, about 10 years ago, my buddy at the University of Illinois was working in the advance technology center was working on a chemical based CPU, not silicon, transistor based.

They had HUGE towers of what I think was Nitrogen (several degrees below zero) used to cool these motherboards and CPUs.

Although I doubt most of us would have this kind of setup for our home personal computers, I will say that at some point things other than the typical silicon/transistor type processors might become availible.

As I see it, the more horsepower these current chips get the larger and warmer they all get. At some point, I can't see the status quo being able to handle the size and heat as we approace the 100's of gigabyte range which we could find ourselves in about 3-5 years or less.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
In the late 1970's I used a mainframe computer by Xerox-Honeywell that took up an entire room and required liquid-cooling and a dedicated air handling system to reduce the massive heat build-up it generated.

It had less computing power than the inexpensive laptop computer I am typing this on. My laptop needs only passive cooling plus a tiny 1/2" fan which runs occasionally.

In the 1970s, I remember guys making similar comments about how computers of the future would need liquid helium cooling. Linear forecasts always fail in this respect.

Keep in mind that since computers were invented, some fraction of the engineers have consistently told us why we are about to hit the wall (on capacity, heat, speed, cost, etc.) while the rest of them have been busily working out new ways to take the wall down.

I have no doubt that Eric is right -- new technologies are around the corner, and we'll all be amazed ...

-- RL
Old 12-10-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
About a year or two ago, the Wall Street Journal had an article about Geeks that would try to chill the processor on regular computers so that they run at maximum overdrive. There were al sorts of jury-rigged contraptions. I think the term is "Clocking", but don't quote me on that. Eric or someone with more knowledge about the insides of CPU's would definately know this...

Jonathan
Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The proper "geek" term is Over-locking. The theory is based on the fact that all processor chips are made on the same wafer and then are speed graded based on test run on a batch sample. So if you bought a 2.0 GHZ processor it may be able to be Over-clocked to 2.4 GHZ without a problem. It could be cranked to 2.8 GHZ if you over cool it and run it below the temp that it was designed to run at.

In many cases Over-clocking works fine as long as you do not try to go too fast. If the system becomes unstable you will need to reduce the speed. Over-clocking can also cause the processor to have a shorter lifespan than one that is not over-clocked.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brett pretty much said it all.

On some machines you'll find that the manufac will place a special sticker across the locations where this can be done.

Apple in particular places a sticker that says removal of this tab voids warranty.

Can't undertand why!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
http://www.overclockers.com/

Here is one of many sites about over clocking. I have my PC at home overclocked 100 mhz it is a 1200 AMD athat has ran at 1300 for almost two years. I have no issues with it at all. I have even over clocked my video card as well. There are several tools out there that can help you with this.