Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We live in ours in an RV park. I happened to go into the office as one of the "seasonal" residents was complaining about "that old trailer". The campground owner's response? "If you don't like their trailer, the road is out front."

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Our neighbors don't seem to mind to all...those who have said anything have been positive...and a few have even said how cool it is...what they probably notice more than anything is that we are having fun with it...and going out as often as we can swing it...even if it's just a long weekend... Me thinks they are envious, if anything.

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Basically I really don't care what they think! Besides the Airstream, I've got three horses in the back. Many in the 'hood have sob's in the drive, including one 'stream class A. Wonder what the 'imaginary' HOA will say when construction starts Monday on the shed/garage for the Classic? As if I really care!
Air 16426

Fully retired now!
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #32
1996 34' Classic
1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Zero comments because we live in a community with restrictive covenants. We can't even bring ARVIN in the neighborhood without risking the ire of those who live to complain. In fairness, we knew this when we bought in here but I thought I'd give a little rant in the middle of my reply.
On the positive side, we park ARVIN about 10 minutes away and when we are travelling, we can go, hook up, transfer our stuff and be rolling down the road in less than 30 minutes.
2005 F-150 5.4L Supercab 4X4 (Betsy 3)
2008 Safari 27FB SE (Arvin as in RV'ing)
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 20
1976 28' Argosy 28
Indianapolis , Indiana
I just tell them it was all my wife's idea!
edleeseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:59 AM   #34
Very american 4 a french
1971 27' Overlander
Not neighbors but kids in a campground asking me if it was me that i have built myself the caravan....
so nice.

My blog:The american dream in FRANCE:
My pictures in high quality: Pictures on FLICKR:
My videos are on YOU TUBE
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my neighbours like to ask if I really need another project. We seem to have one right after the other. Our house was built in 1790, and around 1970 someone came up with the idea of surrounding our house with split level hell. I spent an entire year making it habitable for my family, followed by many years of yard redevelopment. I then put up a pole barn that is now my cabinet shop. And then put an addition on. All of this work has been done solo. My neighbours are always coming over to inspect the project at hand. They are always surprised what one man can do with a little determination. When Anna arrived many thought I was going to finally relax. "He bought an RV, something to take it easy in..." Now Anna sits in the driveway, hatches removed, blue tape over the leaking areas, belly pan removed and laying in the yard, all torn apart... they come by and ask, "how are you ever going to put that thing back together?" "... why did you do that? It was so beautiful..." I kind of wish I had a HOA to come by. From my house I can see three SOBs. If you think they look ugly on the road, let me tell you seeing them wrapped in a grey tarp for 7 months is even worse. For the most part, I get nothing but positive comments. There are not too many Airstreams in the Baltimore area, and folks are not too use to seeing them. I have to hear about uncle Al and the Airstream he had, or someone somebody knew that use to have one. And yes, the main comment I get is "they don't make those anymore"
I hope Thor and Airstream realise that that is the general impression of the product. Their marketing department is not doing such a good job in my eyes. Even when they appear in commercials, they are shown in a dark lighting which makes them look old. Next time you see the Sequoia ad take note of this...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #36

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We live in a neighborhood on the beach that does have covenants and restriction galore, but prohibition of trailers and RVs in your driveway is NOT one of them. We have storage for Lucy nearby because she takes up so much or our driveway. We like to bring Lucy to the house for a few days on each end of our trips to set up, break down, clean-up, bathe, etc. We even installed a 30 amp outlet so that we can run the a/c and refer during set up and break down.

Most of the neighbors think that Lucy is really cool, and don't mind her being there at all. We have an alley driveway behind our house, so Lucy is not out front. We have a couple of neighbors that don't want Lucy to ever come in the neighborhood. They consider us trailer trash for owning such a contraption, and feel that Lucy's presence demeans their high status.They have mounted an effort to change the rules to prohibit Lucy's entrance. Fortunately for Lucy, it takes a 75% majority to change the covenants making highly unlikely that it will ever happen.

On one occasion, the HOA preident called me and wanted to know when I was going to move Lucy because he had gotten calls of complaint. I very politely told him that Lucy would be there until I chose to move her, and to advise the "complainants" that they just bought themselves another week of Lucy's presence.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member
1964 28' Ambassador
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
The day after I parked the Ambassador behind a tree in the front yard, a guy down the street drove by and asked my wife when we'd get around to polishing the thing up. He said it looked like...well you know. The mailman stops by and is always interested in what we're doing (explains all the late deliveries in the 'hood). People drive by and then back they've never seen an Airstream propped up 4 feet above the chassis! Go figure...
Ambie '64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
We took our '67 to GSM in NY and so now only our '05 CCD is outside- well our neighbor noticed right away and commented...

"oh good you got rid of one of them!"
April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
well working on wiring in a 30 amp service plug for it, my neighbor asked "does this mean you plan to leave it in the driveway?" and several hints lately they didn't plan on having an RV parked next door. I said it was an Airstream not an RV. oh well, driveways are for things with wheels right?
goransons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I don't quite understand some of the nosy neighbours that don't like our beautiful Airstreams in our driveways. Most of my neighbours like it and think it's cool, and the rest are lukewarm. But it's really none of their business.

It just looks so super duper cool, not to mention that it represents a fabulous and welcoming break from the daily grind, that lovely and shiny pod (I'm experiencing Airstream withdrawl up here in Canada - we've got too much snow!!)...

Neighbours ought to thank their lucky stars that we've got excellent taste - I think most would much rather look at a fab Airstream than any other SOB in a driveway...

Springtime can't come too soon!!!

Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
All we ever get is "When can we come over for a tour and a cocktail?" And it doesn't hurt that we built a separate garage for it, and painted it "oak tree green" and covered it with climbing roses...The neighbors practically applaud when we pull it out for a trip. Yep, we're lucky that they have great taste too!
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Boy are they in for a surprise. At GSM we saw our next Airstream. And when we pull the '61 Overlander out of the garage my ears should really be burning. Much like anything else in life if you can't say anything good to someone, shut up. Just because we have taste should not be held against us. and kudos to Macfrodge- who wouldn't rather look at an AS than an SOB.

April & Andy Hershberger
3streams is offline   Reply With Quote