Old 11-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
What would you like to see in a RV park?

The love of my life and I want to build a RV park. We've been taking notes at the places we've stayed at. Here's a start of our ideas so far. 1) Space between units. Not an RV parking lot like several KOA's. 2)Back in spaces where the driver can look over the left shoulder & use their window to see. No more blind side backing ups. 3) Pull throughs with a 30' length double wide for tow/toad parking. 4) A large building for rally gatherings.5) level spots. Any other ideas & photos posted would be very welcome. If you see something you would like repeated, tell us. Tell us about the bad things to avoid. The park is still in our planning stage in our heads. Nothing has been built yet. Where do you think a park is needed. We would like to be open year round & not seasonal.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We do not stay in many RV Parks, but when we do we look for pet friendly parks. We really like parks that have an area fenced for our dogs to get some exercise off the leash.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Great idea..lots of work though...

Walking Trails - and must a Dog off lead area.

Always stuff for the kiddies that travel but very little for the pets that travel.

Here in Ontario they are finally recognizing the market of people who travel with Pets and now include them in many of the better class hotels - having a specific floor. I know not RV's but a demographic you don't want to turn away....would love to see a statistic on the number of Rv'ers that travel with pets....

Don't forget your fire pits and half decent picnic tables.

Tuck shop is always great and your dang I forgot my????? section to include important RV supplies.

Shade trees and natural privacy screens between sights..

Good luck with your venture sounds great!
Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A dog run, trailer washing area, fire pits, a dog run, laundry facilities, trees and greenery, a dog run, swimming pool, hot tub, wireless internet, did I mention a dog run?
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Five point hook-ups are a must for us. That's electric, water, sewer, cable, and wifi. We have spent 322 nights in our Lucy since June, 2006, the vast majority of them in private campgrounds. These are the features we look primarily look for.

You should also consider several bare bones pull throughs at the front of your CG for one nighters passing through. These should be super level so you don't even have to unhook.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Humm. How about lower taxes? No joke! Here at our teensy-weensy 28-site park, right at a third of what we take in goes for federal, state and local taxes. Take another third to pay for incredibly expensive utilities (charged at the "business rate" whenever they can get away with it). That last third gets divided between park maintenance/upkeep/improvement and us.

My advice: Don't do it unless you are willing to live on very little cash, and unless you are experienced with being tied to home for weeks and weeks on end. Living without a lot of money wasn't that difficult for us; it just requires some creativity. But being tied down here for such long periods is really tough.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What would you like to see in a RV park?

Something that isn't necessarily in the RV Park, but very important to me as a Free Wheeler is well-placed, informative signage (that doesn't require binoculars to read) at a regular interval on the most likely approaches to the park. Even with my GPS, I still like to have the reassurance of good signage to point the way!

Another feature that does not appeal to me as a Free Wheeler is a park where the only pull-throughs are in the section designed for motorhomes. I don't necessarily need to keep my tow vehicle attached to my trailer, but I don't really want the added stress of backing into a space. One of my favorite RV Parks has pull-throughs -- two at each end of their rows of 12 spaces. Another of my favorite parks has an alternate take on pull-throughs -- all of their back-to-back sites are designed such that they are pull-throughs for the first arrivals -- it means arriving by 1:00 p.m. to insure being one of the fortunate to be able to pull-through, but it is a concession well worth making as this park is located in popular summer Rocky Mountain resort area (the down-side to this arrangement is limited privacy to the rear of each site).

WiFi is a near necessity for my travels as I am often taking on-line courses to keep my teacher's certificates up-to-date.

I am also one who prefers five-point hook-ups. One of my greatest frustrations is a site where the sewer connection is raised significantly above ground level -- the Vintage coaches that I own do not have the ground clearance of many of the modern coaches and many of the RV Parks where I have stayed have had elevated sewer connections that are higher than the discharge location on my coach.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What would I like to see in an RV park.

Hi, I would like to see a lot of things. A laundry room with more than two machines. A dog area for city dogs; My dogs had to walk on hard, sharp, gravel to get to a small area with thornes, foxtails, and a rusty chainlink fence. City dogs need grass, trees, a fire hydrant Etc. My dogs would go for days without going, because of unfamiliar type suroundings and it cost me a bag full of money to have my Vet, do surgery to remove a foxtail from my dog's foot. My dogs have all passed away, but my experience is that traveling to RV parks was not fun for them. Now back to people; How about something to do? Game room, miniature golf, trout farm lake, bike pathes, and a supply store that stays open past 5PM. I have been to too many campgrounds where there is nothing to do; Park trailer, stare at your spouse, watch all 3 channels of fuzzy TV, go to sleep, next morning move-on. I have been to a few parks where they have something going on all the time. Outdoor movies, ice cream socials, games for kids, nice scenic area to ride a bike or walk your dog. [or cat] I was at one place where they had a local, honest, reasonably priced RV mechanic on call and near by. I was broken down in Utah and had to drive 300 miles round trip to Salt Lake City, the only place in the entire state that stocked common trailer parts so I could take care of a bad wheel bearing. I would like to see an RV park that doesn't wait years to repair things. I was at an RV park where the phone lines and TV antenna connectors were broken, smashed, and ripped out of place; My friend asked about the cable connections and they said they would call the cable company Monday. We were leaving Sunday. This would be understood if it wasn't obvious that all of the boxes in our area of the park were broken and have been for quite a while. [note;: the connections were all working for the permament residents] These are just some of the little inconveinences that we should not have to deal with whether we stay for one night, one week, or longer.

Sorry that this seems to be, and is, a lot of complaining, but you asked.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Head Animal Wrangler
2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Free WiFi and trees. And more grass and more trees.
Away from the highway and train tracks.
Rally on,
and no, those photos are not me.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #10
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
A fact of life these days is that you will have a few full timers in any RV Park, but please, make everyone keep their rigs and sites clean and presentable. We had a new little park constructed here locally. It was so pretty and convenient. Our friends would stay in it while visiting the area. Now we can't get any of them to stay in it for the eyesores created by the few full-timers in it. There is nothing wrong with being a full timer, but there is wrong in anyone living like a pig.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
If you want to copy from the best......

...spend a week or so at Disney's Fort Wilderness campground.

Just about every amenity expressed previously is there.

Leash Free Dog Park, WiFi (Premium WiFi is extra, but worth it if you use it for work), everything works, immediate maintenance (they will even fix some of the things on your trailer - don't tell them I said that), friendly and punctual, on site store, security, clean comfort and wash stations, dog friendly and dog free loops, nightly campfire and family movie.

They DO NOT provide help with backing in, but WILL work with you and attempt to find an easier site for you to back into - they do have a few pull through sites. They are NOT CHEAP $55 or so a night, but various discounts are available. As with most State Parks, reserving a particular site is difficult for the occasional user. There are enough loops with slightly different character (large grassy areas or lots of trees or kids or proximity to food or mostly retired people or pool or ....).

Anyone even remotely thinking about opening a trailer/RV park owes it to themselves to experience the service there.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground at Walt Disney World -

I usually stay at State Parks, and generally avoid commercial camp grounds, but Fort Wilderness is head and shoulders above the other commercial operations, in my opinion FW is simply the best.

More Info...

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
go to any resort type campground and checkout the type of units that you see pulling in.fort wilderness is one of our favorites.i also check woodalls ratings and tend to try to stay at 5 star is a feature that i think is important especially if people are not considerate after quiet hours.i am willing to pay a resort price for all the amenities.i will always ask for a preferred site since you usually get put in next to bigger more upscale units.i know in my area the resort camgrounds are harder to get reservations at.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #13
Classic 30
Sum Wear , Ohio
1. Natural privacy barrier with shade between sites. Don't want to see my neighbor.

2. Miles of hiking trails nearby allowing well behaved dogs off the leash. (I know, it will never happen)

3. Location location location. Sites adjacent to Water (lake, ocean, or river) far away from urban noise and clutter.

4. Absolutely no cable or wifi (attracts to much riff-raff)

5. Electric and water would be nice with very clean shower houses nearby.

Thank you for asking
"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #14
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Something "different" would be a handful of spaces near the front that are pull-through, and wouldn't require going all the way around the park at 5 am, for the people that are only staying overnight while traveling. This would help both the traveler, for obvious reasons, but also the other people that are staying a few days. They wouldn't get woken when that big honkin' diesel bus or tow vehicle goes knocking by.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote

rv parks