Old 11-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #29

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Beer Taps standard at all full-hookups!

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We will pay more for quality. If a nice campground needs to charge more because they have larger, private sites, then so be it. To us, it would be far more enjoyable than staying for free at a cramped, miserable campground with sites that are packed in.

AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I'd like to see lat/long published in every ad you do, so that I can punch it into the GPS and "go there." I hate it when the description says that the campground is "2 miles east on Smith Rd." when in fact its 3.25 miles southeast on Hwy 33 (that used to be Smith Rd. a few years ago)!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #32

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We typically see campgrounds in a couple of types. A campground where we want to go, or a campground at a place we want to go. The first one is a location in itself, isolated sites, water feature, quiet and scenic. The second is (or should be) easy in and out, good amenities including fast food and full hookups. Water, electric and sewer (remember, we have SMALL tanks) are needed at both types.

I guess in retrospect ArtStream has a point for a 3rd type. Several nights I've been sucked into a $45/night KOA when I wanted a $10 30 Amp flat spot.

Thus the first two are location dependent and the third is site specific
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I have begun Airstreaming again after a several year hiatus. I have been disappointed with RV Park choices.

I am a boulevard camper. I look for great locations where there is enjoyable scenery. I want a clean environment with well kept amenities.

Too often campgrounds look run down. Too often the seasonal campers drag too much stuff from home to "decorate" their site with trailer trash.

Airstream parks should be upscale and have unique settings (lakes, mountains, trees, etc.). They should have Wi-Fi, and full hookups. I would prefer to not have campfires because of the smoke smell that permeates the trailer.

Quite frankly Airstreaming attracts people that have interests in seeing new places and have the means to enjoy a better than average lifestyle. That is why I restored a vintage Airstream. To relive the enjoyable times I had with my parents meeting some of the most interesting people in the world.

Good luck with yours dream.

Mike Brumback
WBCC #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
Longview , Texas
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Keep the rvs with screaming kids away from the adults! I have found kids much worse than dogs. zz
Why not just ban kids altogether??????? Cause we wouldn't want you to lose any beauty rest. And ,I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I have yet to look out my window and see one of those terrible noisy kids squating by the picnic table taking a dump.

Sorry I got off topic; Things to have in a RV Park
  • Beach volleyball court.
  • HOOTERS Restaurant.
  • 06 F-250 4x4
  • 80 FLH HD (restored)
  • 75 Overlander (27 ft.)
  • 1959 Ford 661 tractor (full restoration)
ssww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
When you're traveling and making a brief stay, you pretty much take what you find...however, a favorite RV park would include:

1. all modern hookups, including Wifi - it's great to check out one's emails, area sites to see, etc.

2. flat, well spaced, paved sites with lots of grass and a few trees for shade when possible.

3. wide, easy access roads, looped perhaps to take advantage of the local terrain to try to keep the park from being a big square 'parking lot'.

4. some sites near the entrance reserved for the late-in-the-day travelers making only an overnight stop - to keep them from late night 'tours' of the entire park.

5. heavy picnic table on each site.

6. no campfire rings...let the state parks do that thing...rings collect trash, need emptying, throw sparks, etc, etc.

7. allow propane only BBQ's, and perhaps small propane fire rings.

8. how about separate sites for RV's with pets and those without...Just because an RV'er likes to haul their pets along, doesn't mean their RV neighbor does! we keep the dogs at home to avoid pet problems and intrusion on others...fellow RV'er's dogs doing their business on our site as they wander the park is disgusting to maybe a separate dog run is a good idea if you have the space...and you can get the pet owners to use it!

9. small store, restaurant, group party room, laundry room, propane sales, showers, and a pool/spa are great ideas if in the budget.

10. trash dumpsters inside small sheds, throughout the park for easy access.

11.and that beer tap at each site isn't a bad idea either....
Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM   #36
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
...fellow RV'er's dogs doing their business on our site as they wander the park is disgusting to maybe a separate dog run is a good idea if you have the space...and you can get the pet owners to use it!
Dogs should not be wandering to do as they please, where they please. They should be on leash in a campground. Mine are. Campgrounds should enforce on-leash rules (and picking up after your pet) and if possible, provide an off-leash area to exercise dogs. It's all about common courtesy to those sharing the space.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #37
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Space, space, space. All too many times profit takes over amenities. Having RVs one on top of another is a big turn off.

That said, greenery is a plus, paths, playgrounds (at a distance from campsites), quiet hours, campground store, WIFI would all be on my list.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Two items I look for

There are two things I look for in an RV park. I like a site facing north so we can sit outside with the trailer providing afternoon shade. Airstreams have lower dump valves than a lot of RVs so I look for a sewer hookup close to the ground. I once stopped in to a park in Silver City NM where the owner took one look at our trailer and said, "Sorry our sewer hookups are too high to accomodate Airstreams."
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
if you DO get that far, and need hands on help, book mark us to come help you, Allow us to live there onsite and be night watchmen...if you think thats decent then PM me in the future when it happens...Thanks and Best Regards...Bill
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
You should also consider several bare bones pull throughs at the front of your CG for one nighters passing through. These should be super level so you don't even have to unhook.

And the new RVers. We were at a place at Gig Habor WA. We told them we were new to towing, and not good at backing up. they put us in a spot that was a pull thru and close the to managers place - in case we needed help. Very nice.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
How About Answering The Phones and Returning Calls Left On The "Reservations" Line?

We can't tell you how many times we've called campgrounds only to be prompted to reach the "reservations" department, left a message with all of the necessary information requested only to have our calls go unreturned. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the campground or its management.

Having a website with accurate directions and a map of the sites would be appreciated. That way we can do some research beforehand, make an informed decision and not take up too much time asking, "Is it near the pool/river/lake/restrooms?" and thus allowing campground staff to respond to messages left on their reservations line.

WiFi is important to us, and that means WiFi at our site, not at site 54, or WiFi if you walk to the back of the trailer and lean out the window. If WiFi isn't available, a place to log on (for free) to check emails and do some quick research would be appreciated. We have iPhones but sometimes wireless reception is spotty or null when traveling to more picturesque/remote areas.

A place to wash your trailer and tow vehicle would be nice to have, as well as a place to refill propane tanks.

Thanks so much for asking! We appreciate you wanting to provide a great place to camp. Good luck!
Gemma and Murray
Yhottys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
The love of my life and I want to build a RV park. We've been taking notes at the places we've stayed at. Here's a start of our ideas so far. 1) Space between units. Not an RV parking lot like several KOA's. 2)Back in spaces where the driver can look over the left shoulder & use their window to see. No more blind side backing ups. 3) Pull throughs with a 30' length double wide for tow/toad parking. 4) A large building for rally gatherings.5) level spots. Any other ideas & photos posted would be very welcome. If you see something you would like repeated, tell us. Tell us about the bad things to avoid. The park is still in our planning stage in our heads. Nothing has been built yet. Where do you think a park is needed. We would like to be open year round & not seasonal.
OMG, after reading thru the 40 some posts to date, are you sure you want to do this.>>>> I only want to add"
clean and modern restrooms/showers. Most other things we can overcome. If we want more privacy, we should go boondocking. But we will go somewhere and enjoy the experience. If we are not having fun we will move on.

sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

rv parks