Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
3 Dog,

This question is similar to asking what is the best tow vehicle. Just look at the many opinions on that one.

We have been traveling about eight months of the year for the past couple of years and when you spend this much time on the road I think you become more of a realist. A safe secure park, clean facilities, and a price that reflects the services you receive.

Like any business it is important to determine who your customers are and what price point they are willing to pay. Not sure what the current economic climate has done to the Resort park business but I am always surprised that some of these parks can demand as much as $149/nite. For example look at the Elkhorn Ridge Park in Spearfish SD. A beautiful park with loads of ammenites but who are these customers? How many times will they return? What is the average occupancy rate of these parks.

RV parks serve different purposes to different people. Many of the places along I75 to Florida are simply pull off places for northerners to overnite on their way south. Others along the highway are close to attractions and offer a plethora of services. As stated earlier a couple of the constants that everyone wants is safe/secure, clean and a price that reflects services.

Best of luck with your project.

fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 AM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Place the city water faucet at least 12" above the ground. I don't know how many times that I've stopped at a CG and found the water hook up faucet about 2.5" from the ground. This makes it a major pain to connect. During the time that I am connecting, I am grumbling to myself that the person who set up this CG has obviously never hooked up an RV.

Also, the CGs with two sewer drops per site are really nice. This allows RV placement where you want on the site without dragging out several sew extension hoses. We run into this problem a lot with an FB where the door is at the rear of the trailer. We get our door step on the pad, and we're far from the sewer drop.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Airstream only part.. keep all those buses and rif raff on the other side.. just joking... But keep like size trailers together... Some times is sucks being between two massive motor homes...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Originally Posted by GStephens View Post
A fact of life these days is that you will have a few full timers in any RV Park, but please, make everyone keep their rigs and sites clean and presentable. We had a new little park constructed here locally. It was so pretty and convenient. Our friends would stay in it while visiting the area. Now we can't get any of them to stay in it for the eyesores created by the few full-timers in it. There is nothing wrong with being a full timer, but there is wrong in anyone living like a pig.
It is tough. We've learned to distinguish among different groups:

1. People who literally live in their RVs, but not out of economic distress. Often having large rigs, they travel somewhat less often and usually stay put for about a month. They call themselves "full timers." Pretty quiet and clean.

2. Retired folks escaping from summer heat, more or less the reverse of snowbirds. Often with mid-sized rigs, they're pretty quiet and clean. (Actually, we have a small group of this type with the opposite stripe: Retirees who come in smack in the middle of winter for the ski slopes, where those over 70 receive a major discount. Also clean and quiet.)

For the two types above, we hold back six or eight sites for the season.

3. Construction crews. These are often rotating crews working some major project in the area; they often stay in a rig owned by the contractor. Avoid these.

4. Economic refugees. Very poor folks who have managed to pick up a "hunters special," an RV that is basically non-functional in all respects, but does provide a roof of sorts. Avoid these.

We developed a few strategies to filter out those that we don't want (and to preserve our own sanity):

a. We strongly encourage folks staying more than on a weekly basis to use their own bathroom facilities. (Among other things, this removes the economic refugees from the table.)

b. Our monthly rates are stated as a sliding scale, from less expensive than other parks in the region to a good deal more expensive. If people come to the office wanting monthly, and we feel uncomfortable with them, we simply quote the high-end rate, and away they go.

c. We literally close the park for a month or more in the fall and, again, for a month or more in the spring. This gives you a clean slate, so to speak.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
If the spaces are not naturally screened or too close together, what's the point? We just laugh and keep on driving or boondock somewhere. Having a good website with photos of the actual sites and the park in general would help with travel decisions.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
5 Star

Think 5 star resorts. Clean, really really clean restrooms, pool, sites, fire ring/grill, garbage cans at each site or every other site that is emptied each day. A nice restaurant or bar, a pool that you can swim laps. A well landscaped, well groomed lawns. Repair wear including the lawns, I hate tracking dirt into the Airstream. I really hate when the dog does it too.

5 point hook-ups are a must as others on this thread have stated. Concrete pads for the trailer and picnic table. Bug control, paved roads, and grassy areas for the dog.

A nice store with stuff that is not canned or frozen for dinner, for those that blast in and need something to eat and not wanting processed foods.

NO PERMINATE Sites, man I hate looking at a site that the guy has the big deck, bird bath and every lawn ornament that you can think of around his trailer and the big old tool shed he uses as a bar!

I'm not a fan of rustic camping, I don't do a whole lot of time in a state park campground, you know the site that is over used and worn out, dirty and the grounds covered with old cigarette butts and chewed up sunflower seeds. Keep it modern.

I like campgrounds near or even in the middle of attractions, I like activity in a resort atmosphere. Check out the new sites at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH they are close to what I am talking about.

Just one way I would spend the money I save by traveling in my Airstream!
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Keep the rvs with screaming kids away from the adults! I have found kids much worse than dogs. zz
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #22
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Some times is sucks being between two massive motor homes...
Hey, we're only 4' longer than you.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Maybe a better question would be "What don't you want to see in an RV Park"

Here's my list of things I don't want to see:
My neighbors
Junky looking sites
Dirty bathrooms
Dusty roadways
Poorly designed dump stations
The highway
Flies and mosquitoes
Muddy campsites

Stuff I don't want to hear:
My neighbors
The highway
Barking dogs
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Like anything else, ask 1,000 folks a question and you are going to get 1,000 different answers. Traveling the amount of miles we have and stayed in 'campgrounds' from someones side yard (full hook-up in OK for $10 a night) to those so called Resorts ($82 a night) there seems to be a campground for everyone. The problem is finding it! We have talked about a campground but once you have been to enough of them you learn that it is a hard life style and you need to have very strong people skills. I think everyone here has pretty much nailed the perfect items or wants for a great campground. Now the problem is finding a large enough plot of land that is dirt cheap in the woods on a large lake that will afford a 1/4 acre per site!
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
3) Pull throughs with a 30' length double wide for tow/toad parking.
Building a Bambi only park?
flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm with you ~

Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Here's my list of things I don't want to see:
My neighbors
Junky looking sites
Dirty bathrooms
Dusty roadways
Poorly designed dump stations
The highway
Flies and mosquitoes
Muddy campsites
backside of a industrial park
next to a Walmart
next recycling drop off, power plant or truck stop
on a truck route to a gravel yard or dump
full-time neglected POS trailers as neighbors

Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Stuff I don't want to hear:
My neighbors
The highway
Barking dogs
Electrical line "buzz"
loud music (sorry Janet!)

I guess, for the most part, I probably need to stick to boondocking ~

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Do whatever makes economic sense so you can make an enjoyable living, but what we primarily look for is peace and quiet, somewhere near natural beauty and recreation, among people of a similar bent. National Park and Forest campgrounds come to mind, but electric and water at the sites would be a nice luxury. On a lake, river, or ocean, better yet. Good luck with your venture!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #28
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up Escapee model

An affordable dry camping area. Nothing fancy, just a safe overnight alternative to walmart. Say with a 3 to 7 day max stay.

The Escapee parks have this type of program.

It works for many people who are not looking for pool, hot tub etc.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote

rv parks