Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I guess I must be above average

Seems like I have been on tv many times over the years, for one event or another, the first time I think was for a Welcome Wagon event, or maybe a Girl Scout event. I have also been on local programs for charities, and a couple of times for the garden center I used to work for, in commercials and in connection with my own store. I can't seem to go a year without either being on tv or in the newspaper, guess it must be my fate.
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I brought animals from the Crandon Park Zoo ,where I worked briefly, to a kids show in Miami in the early 70's a few times. Not TV ,but I was in the September 1969 issue of Playboy magazine modeling clothes for a spread called "Campus Fashion Forecast". Shot on the Johns Hopkins Campus.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:44 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Did you meet Hugh? Or the Playmates? Young campus buck male model...hmmmm

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #84
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We're all on TV

We're all on TV scores of times daily—traffic light cameras, security cameras, etc.

I was interviewed in about 1968 by a Wilkes-Barre TV station about the water problem in Kingston Twp.—our local water company had died and we were up in arms. Our lawyer kept telling us what we couldn't do and I think that had a lot to do with going to law school, because there's always something we can do, though not always easy, but at least there are options we weren't hearing.

I was interviewed after coming out of court in the mid '70's in Buffalo, but they never broadcast it. They were shining those lights right in my eyes, I could hardly see I was squinting so much, so I probably looked awful.

I do remember when Buffalo Bob came to NYC TV in the late '40's. Howdy Dowdy was only a small part of the Saturday morning show and was kept in a drawer of a desk Bob Smith used. Buffalo meant those big animals out west to me, not the city. Pretty soon Bob Smith realized Howdy Dowdy was more popular than he was. Perhaps I saw Robert in the peanut gallery. I liked Captain Video better, he of "he asks no quarter and gives none".

Flubbadub
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Too many times to count. I have been on stage playing music since I was age six.
Today, I am an also an insurance/investments broker, fine art landscape photographer, political consultant, public speaker, on the radio broadcast crew for Texas Tech Football, emcee for the Lubbock Lion's club (the Largest Lion's Club in North America in Lubbock TX), and on-air host during Festival for KTXT-TV the PBS affiliate in Lubbock TX.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #86
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Talking Once a week sometimes twice

Everytime I walk into our local Walmart I'm on the tv above the entrance really its there, and you can watch yourself choose a shopping cart and walk by. I like to wave and show the security guys my best profile just in case they don't see it in any of the other cameras in the store...
Old 04-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Everytime I walk into our local Walmart I'm on the tv above the entrance really its there, and you can watch yourself choose a shopping cart and walk by. I like to wave and show the security guys my best profile just in case they don't see it in any of the other cameras in the store...
I'm going to guess that if your profile is that nice - they're watching most of your shopping expedition anyway....
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 AM   #88
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Two years ago, at the end of "summer" in August when , after a rainy month, tv interviewers wanted to do a videotv about the bad season in tourism and particuliary in the campgrounds of the north of France and they found us and our Airstream.
we were occupied to store all the dishes before departure for A/S storage.
Not a great document but I'm always surprised when people says: " hey , we 've seen you on the TV news !!!!!!
May be the beginning of a celebrity, now recognised... ( or only my quater of an hour of celebrity as said Woody Hallen )
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #89
BuzzKat

2006 28' Safari
Welsh , Louisiana
I was interviewed by a local TV station at our home after Hurricane Lilly passed in 2004. The storm blew down one of our towering oak trees and laid it across the street. I thought the interview went well until I watched it on the evening news. I looked and sounded like a mumbling bafoon with pieces of storm debris stuck in my hair. Next time I'll just say "no comment"....
buzzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Buzzkat, you have nothing on me. I was interviewed by a local news show after wild boars tore up our lawn and I came across like a crazed garden-lady flailing her shovel and cursing the wildlife, who, as a rule, I tend to appreciate and nurture. (Except for gophers, voles and moles. They need discipline.)
Much to my dismay, they kept re-running the miserable episode every time someone else had the same problem. I'm still recovering, the lawn is fine, and is happily being converted to a more water-friendly landscape.
And the boars? BBQ.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #91
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Those newscasters just aren't helpful enough to pick the straw from your hair, are they?

I also was on the teeny local TV while speaking at a Take Back the Night rally about 10 years ago. It endeared me to the mayor and county prosecutor, and I never saw the clip but every time I went to the grocery store for a week it felt like people were staring at me.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #92
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
In the mid-90's, GMA was filming segments in Northern California. I was current President of a small Chamber of Commerce that covers business' around the 1000 mile Delta River region below Sacramento.

We arranged to get the GMA crew out on a houseboat for a few hours to cruise the river and make a stop at a popular, funky boat-in bar, called 'Lost Isle'. I got a few seconds of 'face time', while my daughter and todler grandaughter got about half a minute as they wiggled their toes in the sandy beach nearby!
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote