Old 01-24-2019, 01:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
What was GM thinking?

Hi, OK the holidays are over, but the problem still exists. You are in a mall parking lot are there seems to be not a single parking space left. You are driving up and down every lane looking for an empty space. Suddenly you spot a vehicle who's back-up lights came on. YES, Finally someone has finished shopping and you will finally get your turn to spend all of your hard earned money in the mall. NO! False alarm; GM vehicles turn on the back-up lights whenever the doors are locked or un-locked. You just blocked five vehicles from moving down the isle just because common sense told you that someone was going to back out of that space for you.

GM's response to complaints about this was "It's not illegal" to have the back-up lights come on with your remote locking or un-locking the doors.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Very annoying indeed!

Causes all kinds of traffic snarls and delays in popular shopping areas with regular diagonal parking on narrow streets.

"Waiting for Godot . . . "

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
There are always tons of spaces further out, but every time the backup lights come on people stop suddenly and try to “claim” a space with their “blinker” while holding everyone else up. Yeah, I wish cars would unlock without the flashing lights. The horn honking when locking, sometimes multiple times and loud, is also annoying especially in a neighborhood.

Tow Vehicle: Ram Laramie 2500 crew cab, Cummins 6.7 Turbodiesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
Some of us stop as a courtesy (with no intent to park) whenever we see backup lights on in a parking lot. (Backing accidents are probably the most common type of parking lot crashes so why not give another motorist a break?). It is indeed annoying...
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:01 AM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hmmm.... interesting "problem." I don't think we've experienced this but maybe we have and didn't realize it.

The Driver Information Center on GM vehicles can typically be reprogrammed so the lights don't come on during the typical lock and unlock cycles. For instance, we've set ours so the lights only flash when we lock (or unlock) a second time. The first time the lights don't flash. Even then, it's only a flash - it's not as if the lights come on for a significant period of time. I'm specifically speaking of experience with out 2005 Suburban and 2018 Sierra. Maybe other GM vehicles are set up differently.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I remember the complaints in residential areas especially late at night, when cars would toot their horns when you locked them. It took awhile for the manufacturers to silence the horns when locking your car.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
A Very Important Thread that Needs alot of Attention

NOT, ........ Sorry, no big issue here.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
These terrible first world problems.....
While I don't have a GM vehicle I think it's a good feature for lighting up the area around the car when it is unlocked. At least it is a "quiet feature".
I will admit that I despise those who have the horn honk or beep or make some kind of noise when locking/unlocking their vehicle, especially those who seem to have the need to hit the lock/unlock button 5 times in a row just to sure. On top of that they must do this at the campground at all hours of the night... Truly a pet peeve of mine. One of the things I like about my Jeep and Dodge truck as I can turn all that stuff off.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
NOT, ........ Sorry, no big issue here.
This is posted in the appropriate "Off Topic" forum. Please lighten up.

You can choose to ignore the thread if you wish by using the Thread Tools menu.

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
Site Team

, Minnesota
I have a vehicle with the flashing lights and horn. I love using the horn as my wife is walking around the front of the vehicle. One of the great joys of my life.

On the other hand, I absolutely despise those who stop in the middle of the lane waiting for someone to load their groceries, buckle in the kids, put on their makeup, finish a phone call, check their email, and finish their tacos. For goodness sake can you move to one side or the other while you wait?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Providence , Rhode Island
I'll take a shot......my 2016 GMC Yukon does this and here is an example of the use case as to why they do it. My driveway is 300 feet long, when I leave via the front door and walk down to the driveway where it is parked at 5am and, not kidding, pitch black, turning on all the lights (based on if light load sensor in the dashboard) including the rear backup lights allow an illuminated path around not only the front, but the rear of the vehicle. This aids in letting you seeing any wild life, unwanted people, and just plain anything out of the ordinary around the vehicle as you approach.

This also aids in seeing "ice" "snow" "puddles" that normally would be "hidden" in such a scenario.

I am old enough to been around older cars where the back up lights were strictly used to indicate the vehicle is in reverse and backing up. But like everything else, things change....and IMO, I find this new "feature" welcoming to utilize all the options to aid in driver assistance.

Does it fly in the face of legacy use........sure does.......if you're not someone who accepts change easily (like most people), then surely this comes as an "annoyance" and "what were they thinking". If you are a tech buff or someone who likes primary and secondary functions of core elements, this becomes a welcome feature.

So what were they thinking? They were thinking, how can we improve driver experience and increase safety, and IMO, they've succeeded. YMMV.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Can't comment on new GM, our Burb is an '06.

But...mine do blink when locked/unlocked, that is the way I have the driver options programmed.
When I retired in 2009, that option was still available.

Bob...let me know your next visit, I'll re-program. 😂

Oh for the days when B/U lights were an option...
The Ford has them, (in the trunk)...When Gram found out they would have to drill holes in the trunk she said no thanks.

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Can't comment on new GM, our Burb is an '06.

But...mine do blink when locked/unlocked, that is the way I have the driver options programmed.
When I retired in 2009, that option was still available.

Bob...let me know your next visit, I'll re-program. ��

Oh for the days when B/U lights were an option...
The Ford has them, (in the trunk)...When Gram found out they would have to drill holes in the trunk she said no thanks.

Bob
����
Hi, if I remember correctly, it's your turn to visit me on the West coast.

And we also remember when lenses were made out of glass too.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post

Does it fly in the face of legacy use........sure does.......if you're not someone who accepts change easily (like most people), then surely this comes as an "annoyance" and "what were they thinking". If you are a tech buff or someone who likes primary and secondary functions of core elements, this becomes a welcome feature.

So what were they thinking? They were thinking, how can we improve driver experience and increase safety, and IMO, they've succeeded. YMMV.
Maybe so, but reverse lights indicate that the vehicle may back up. That’s a “secondary function” that could’ve been thought out a little further. With puddle light technology and small LEDs there are many ways to do this. Anyway hopefully the feature doesn’t cause accidents by desensitizing people to backup lights. Personally driving large vehicles has taught me to back INTO a space to avoid restricted view when backing out anyway. Even with cross path detection and cameras backing accidents still occur very often.

Technology exists to light the path without the reverse lights. I suspect it is cheaper to just use the backup lights.

Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote